2nd Qtr Earnings Call, Peak 2014

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I don't know how that happened. Operator error lol. My post added to the end of your post. I'm all thumbs I guess.
Lol its okay. Xmas helper for preloaders in my local will be paid at 15/hr..or 22.50/hr OT....regardless of your preload rate. So, to answer your question....No, my preload rate is higher than the helper rate..

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Look at the calendar.

We have one extra day of peak this year due to Thanksgiving being on the 27th instead of the 28th which will help a little.

What will really get us over the hump...is to plan ahead and make Sunday, Dec. 21st an operational delivery day. Everyone will be out of hours on Friday the 19th, so we take Saturday off for a 36 hr reset and show up on Sunday morning to get clean. Christmas Day is on Thursday, so if Sunday is a delivery-only day with no pickups we could have a fighting chance of getting caught up by having 4 full work days instead of only 3 that week. We tried doing that last year in my building, but it was a half-assed plan put together at the last minute and we only sent about 20 routes out the door when we needed to send everyone out.

Think about the advantages of doing this. A lot of businesses wont be open, so that will free up time and space in the cars for residential deliveries. We wont be doing pickups, so drivers wont have to break off and spend 3 hours trying to cram 300 pieces of pickup volume in over the top of the 200 delivery stops that they still have left in their cars. More people will be home to accept apartment deliveries. We can just line 'em up and bust 'em off without worrying about air commit times, business closing times, pickups, or anything else. It would also look good to the public when they see us really going all out to get the volume delivered and help us recover from last years fiasco.

worldwide

Look at the calendar.

We have one extra day of peak this year due to Thanksgiving being on the 27th instead of the 28th which will help a little.

What will really get us over the hump...is to plan ahead and make Sunday, Dec. 21st an operational delivery day. Everyone will be out of hours on Friday the 19th, so we take Saturday off for a 36 hr reset and show up on Sunday morning to get clean. Christmas Day is on Thursday, so if Sunday is a delivery-only day with no pickups we could have a fighting chance of getting caught up by having 4 full work days instead of only 3 that week. We tried doing that last year in my building, but it was a half-assed plan put together at the last minute and we only sent about 20 routes out the door when we needed to send everyone out.

Think about the advantages of doing this. A lot of businesses wont be open, so that will free up time and space in the cars for residential deliveries. We wont be doing pickups, so drivers wont have to break off and spend 3 hours trying to cram 300 pieces of pickup volume in over the top of the 200 delivery stops that they still have left in their cars. More people will be home to accept apartment deliveries. We can just line 'em up and bust 'em off without worrying about air commit times, business closing times, pickups, or anything else. It would also look good to the public when they see us really going all out to get the volume delivered and help us recover from last years fiasco.

Does the current union agreement allow drivers to work on Sunday? if so, would it be considered a normal-pay day or some other rate? Sounds like a good idea to get caught up if the contract allows it and it is economically viable.

soberups

Does the current union agreement allow drivers to work on Sunday? if so, would it be considered a normal-pay day or some other rate? Sounds like a good idea to get caught up if the contract allows it and it is economically viable.
Yes, the contract allows us to work on Sunday. I worked almost 11 hours on the Sunday before Christmas last week. Sunday work pays time-and-a-half and is dispatched on a seniority basis, the same as a holiday. As far as being economically viable goes...we need to get the damn packages delivered and when every person in the building with a DOT card is already working 60 hours a week it isn't going to make much of a difference in terms of labor cost either way. It has to be more cost effective than paying refunds on thousands of missed packages.

TxRoadDawg

Look at the calendar.

What will really get us over the hump...is to plan ahead and make Sunday, Dec. 21st an operational delivery day.......
great idea, which since it makes perfect sense no way in hell will corporate ever do it sadly

soberups

great idea, which since it makes perfect sense no way in hell will corporate ever do it sadly
Oh, it will happen....but instead of planning for it weeks ahead of time and making it work properly, they will wait until the last minute to make the decision and then panic and call in a token number of drivers the day beforehand, with a skeleton crew on preload, and only get a fraction of the backed up volume delivered. Last peak we had enough backed up/missed volume to run 175 full routes on the Sunday before Christmas, and Corporate gave my center manager permission to call in less than 20 drivers. We didn't have anyone on preload, so it was almost noon before we got on the road. By then, permission had been granted to call in another 20 but it was too late in the day to get a hold of anyone. It was the only time in a 27 year career that I have ever brought missed stops back at 9:00 on a Sunday night.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Look at the calendar.

I wish you guys well on any given Sunday that the company decides to schedule me.
The DOT may require a 36 hour reset after a 60 hour work week, but I require a 2 day reset and will most certainly not be there.
Packages be damned if they can't find a better way.