3 strikes.

DontThrowPackages

Things are so bad, I doubt they even have an SFA next year. I know that for this year, it's as if it never happened. No meeting, no mention of which manager received what score. And as far as "Roman discipline", the feeling around the station went from" I can't lose my job" to "Unemployment will tide me over". Some rtes have had their hours reduced so low and had to adjust their living situation that a unemployment check wouldn't be too much of a difference. Word as gotten around that not making a SPH goal isn't grounds for misconduct. So if we're fired for SPH we'll take the vacation check for a year and find something else to do when the time comes. We've had two guys get hired away by the city and they're loving it. Sentiment is, we survived before coming to the company, we'll survive after the company.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Things are so bad, I doubt they even have an SFA next year. I know that for this year, it's as if it never happened. No meeting, no mention of which manager received what score. And as far as "Roman discipline", the feeling around the station went from" I can't lose my job" to "Unemployment will tide me over". Some rtes have had their hours reduced so low and had to adjust their living situation that a unemployment check wouldn't be too much of a difference. Word as gotten around that not making a SPH goal isn't grounds for misconduct. So if we're fired for SPH we'll take the vacation check for a year and find something else to do when the time comes. We've had two guys get hired away by the city and they're loving it. Sentiment is, we survived before coming to the company, we'll survive after the company.

They buried the SFA scores because the small portion we did see reflected very badly on the company. It is very likely we'll never see another SFA. Besides, wasn't the "intent" of the SFA to solve employee/management issues? Actually...no. The SFA was always a "validation" of how great FedEx was, and how much the employees loved working there. Those days are long gone, and the crap scores couldn't be used as a tool by corporate. Frankly, I'm very surprised they just didn't create "superior" scores as they have always done. In terms of getting unemployment...good luck. FedEx fights every claim, and they'd much rather just fire you, even if they have to pull something out of their ass (like SPH) to show "cause".

MAKAVELI

They buried the SFA scores because the small portion we did see reflected very badly on the company. It is very likely we'll never see another SFA. Besides, wasn't the "intent" of the SFA to solve employee/management issues? Actually...no. The SFA was always a "validation" of how great FedEx was, and how much the employees loved working there. Those days are long gone, and the crap scores couldn't be used as a tool by corporate. Frankly, I'm very surprised they just didn't create "superior" scores as they have always done. In terms of getting unemployment...good luck. FedEx fights every claim, and they'd much rather just fire you, even if they have to pull something out of their ass (like SPH) to show "cause".
They can fire you for any reason including scratching your ass. But they can't deny unemployment benefits for any reason. For gross negligence, stealing, yea but for sph, no.

DontThrowPackages

If SPH is a "performance issue",it could be construed as cause. It's different everywhere.
We all know the SPH goals are arbitrary. When a courier come to work on a Monday and see his goal has been raised by 2 stops per hours, he can only do his best to reach that goal. If he can't, no way is that misconduct. Imagine standing before for the Judge and telling him/her you couldn't make goal because driving over the post speed limit is a danger to yourself and others in the city. And to add, some drivers work on their lunch break delivering packages and the company has gotten use to that however I refused to do so. WAD, don't be late to work or call out sick too many times and save up a little money for a workers comp lawyer to go with you to any hearings the company drags you to.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We all know the SPH goals are arbitrary. When a courier come to work on a Monday and see his goal has been raised by 2 stops per hours, he can only do his best to reach that goal. If he can't, no way is that misconduct. Imagine standing before for the Judge and telling him/her you couldn't make goal because driving over the post speed limit is a danger to yourself and others in the city. And to add, some drivers work on their lunch break delivering packages and the company has gotten use to that however I refused to do so. WAD, don't be late to work or call out sick too many times and save up a little money for a workers comp lawyer to go with you to any hearings the company drags you to.

I'm not disagreeing with any of you, but simply pointing-out that "termination for cause" can be almost anything FedEx wants it to be. Think back on your career and consider everyone you know that has been canned for some trumped-up reason...lots. Most people won't fight FedEx for unemployment. A big BZ to anyone who does.

MAKAVELI

I'm not disagreeing with any of you, but simply pointing-out that "termination for cause" can be almost anything FedEx wants it to be. Think back on your career and consider everyone you know that has been canned for some trumped-up reason...lots. Most people won't fight FedEx for unemployment. A big BZ to anyone who does.
well if someone doesn't fight for unemployment thats on them all you really have to do is know your rights and get representation. Of course FedEx is going to try to fight Ariana employment claim but that doesn't mean they're going to win every time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
well if someone doesn't fight for unemployment thats on them all you really have to do is know your rights and get representation. Of course FedEx is going to try to fight Ariana employment claim but that doesn't mean they're going to win every time.

I agree. Everyone should fight them...but they don't. More intimidation tactics that we don't have to put up with if we choose to not be sheep.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I had to fight a contested unemployment claim once with FedEx and I won. I then got my job back from the district director but I wasn't going down without a fight.

DontThrowPackages

If they want to let a employee go to then be just about it and make the cut backs but don't trump up an excuse to fire someone in an effort of getting out of unemployment payouts. Any company that practices these beliefs is corrupt, no other way to put it.

Ricochet1a

If they want to let a employee go to then be just about it and make the cut backs but don't trump up an excuse to fire someone in an effort of getting out of unemployment payouts. Any company that practices these beliefs is corrupt, no other way to put it.

Another one of the misconceptions held out there by the Couriers - that their employer will be or somehow should be 'above board' with their motives and actions and deal with its employees accordingly. Express is no longer one of those employers - you'd better recognize that and adjust accordingly. (Bend over or get out...)

EVERYTHING about Express in the past 10 years is to the contrary of being 'above board'. Use of deception, fear, intimidation in order to get what THEY want as a company and screw the wage employees to the greatest degree possible while claiming, "We'll defend ourself vigorously", should a particular employee fight back. The odds are in THEIR favor. They successfully screw over Lord knows how many before they have to deal with someone who fights back. This all cries for a class action suit - but Express has been VERY careful about just how far they will push to get what they want.

Express is slowly reshaping itself right now. You are all seeing it in motion and are getting uncomfortable with what is going on. They want to get rid of the higher compensated wage employees (who also tend to have higher utilization of heath insurance) and replace them with young 20 somethings that are paid bottom wage (which will only diminish in real terms should they stay with Express any length of time). They want to transform Express into Ground, and realize that in order to do that, they will have to reshape its wage workforce, since they know that their current wage workforce will NEVER accept being compensated as one of the misclassified Ground 'employees' currently is. So the plan to gradually reshape Express is well underway.

Fred was much too crafty to come out and state in front of his employees a few years ago where he wanted Express to be in 5-10 years time (many thought that he'd have to do this - we were wrong on that). He knew damn well that if he did so, the Express employees would shut him down and REALLY cause him problems. So he's run it SLOW..... He knows the end goal, but in order to keep things running until he reaches that goal, he has to use a variety of unsavory means to deceive those doing the work for him until they realize it is too late; or ended up realizing that things are changing and get out (to be replaced with those with no real expectation of having a career - only a job for a few years).

Your employer does the bare minimum to stay in compliance with the letter of the law - but treating its employees 'fairly' isn't necessarily part of the letter of the law. This is what constantly amazes me about Express' wage employees - they lament on how they are being treated, but then won't do a damn thing about it - EVEN to the point of having their life turned completely upside down. All to hold a job delivering packages....

Your employer IS screwing you over - no other way to put it. So now the onus is on YOU as a wage employee, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT????

Your employer has made it VERY CLEAR that it has absolutely NO obligation towards you whatsoever. You are employment at will, with a 'portable pension plan', if you don't like things, hit the door and they'll call up the next batch of recruits to replace you. Then when they realize the mistake they made, the process will continue, and on and on and on...

Complaining about it won't do a damn thing - lots of that been going on here for years. Things just keep on getting worse for you and the complaining seems to get worse too.... The one option was to organize yourselves and put up an united front to protect yourself from the manipulations of your employer. This obviously isn't going to happen (again, if it was going to happen, it would've happened already). That leaves you with either 'taking it', or getting the hell out. I'd advise on making an exit strategy and following it when able.

I couldn't imagine if I was still in, having Express eat me up with stress - even if I decided to sell my soul to Fred and go to work for him in Memphis. There are other things out there to do, you may have to take a temporary cut in pay, but eventually, you'll be better off. The only person you are 'screwing' by staying with Express at this point is yourself - your coworkers (and you...) aren't going to put forth the effort needed to realistically organize, so what's the reason for not making an exit plan at this stage???

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I had to fight a contested unemployment claim once with FedEx and I won. I then got my job back from the district director but I wasn't going down without a fight.

Excellent! But most employees get intimidated by the Fear Machine and don't fight back, which is exactly what they want. FedEx has always been all about threats, intimidation, and keeping the employee in-place. Those that DO fight often win, but there are way too many sheep out there that think it's "impossible". I know quite a few employees who have received 6-figure settlements from FedEx, all because they wouldn't just lie down and take it.