zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
They are called helper teams for a reason.

Sorry if the intent of that post was lost. It's a satirical take on the attitude of corporate management (in general, not necessarily just UPS, and certainly not my attitude) towards labor. In other words, it was a joke. And I agree about the smoking. I believe smoking in the cab is a violation of UPS's tobacco use policy.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Sorry if the intent of that post was lost. It's a satirical take on the attitude of corporate management (in general, not necessarily just UPS, and certainly not my attitude) towards labor. In other words, it was a joke. And I agree about the smoking. I believe smoking in the cab is a violation of UPS's tobacco use policy.
We have posters in our building stating it is a crime to smoke in a company vehicle according to state law.

Control_90

Other than the "cancer sticks", which you would NOT smoke while on my car unless you hung your head out the window like a dog, you sound like the type of helper that I would love to work with.

Ha. Yeah man, I use my better judgement when lighting up a cigarette - It's usually when we are driving somewhere 5mins+ away and I'm pretty discrete as well. I don't think I hang my head out the window like a dog but i do blow smoke out of the cab lol.

movinwork

My first day my driver told me my center had someone fired for dropping packages at front doors/to customers with bogie in mouth. Those ring door bell cams will get ya.

Tamaker

Ok how the hell do I set up my direct deposit? Went to an orientation; starting tomorrow; but no one ever mentioned nor asked to set up direct deposit. Should I contact my center or is it done online?

10point

1214171401_HDR.jpg
1214171401_HDR.jpg

Big Babooba

1. Thou shalt not tell me how I could do my job better after 3 days into your temporary UPS career.

2. Thou shalt be reasonably intelligent.

3. Thou shalt show up on time.

4. Thou shalt put away thy damn cell phone.

5. Thou shalt walk faster than this old man. If thou cannot then thou shalt be ashamed of thyself.

6. If thou feels the need to relieve thyself, thou shalt remember to stay close to the truck because thou are wearing brown and it is hunting season.

7.Thou shalt keep the door shut because it is friend#1@%*g cold out.

8. Thou can go home when I say so.

9. Remember, if thou gets hurt I will have no choice but to leave you where you lie so the wolves can eat you at night and the vultures can pick your eyeballs out the next morning.

10.Remember, I AM THE BIG BABOOBA. Thou SHALT have a twisted sense of humor.

P

pickup

1. Thou shalt not tell me how I could do my job better after 3 days into your temporary UPS career.

2. Thou shalt be reasonably intelligent.

3. Thou shalt show up on time.

4. Thou shalt put away thy damn cell phone.

5. Thou shalt walk faster than this old man. If thou cannot then thou shalt be ashamed of thyself.

6. If thou feels the need to relieve thyself, thou shalt remember to stay close to the truck because thou are wearing brown and it is hunting season.

7.Thou shalt keep the door shut because it is friend#1@%*g cold out.

8. Thou can go home when I say so.

9. Remember, if thou gets hurt I will have no choice but to leave you where you lie so the wolves can eat you at night and the vultures can pick your eyeballs out the next morning.

10.Remember, I AM THE BIG BABOOBA. Thou SHALT have a twisted sense of humor.

Wisdom begins with fear of THE BIG BABOOBA.

Vasily

Vasily Zaytsev
When we stop at a restraunt for lunch, I pick up the tab for both of us.

Had a good helper last peak that liked it enough to go for pt package handler afterwards. She quit 3 weeks after starting that position. Don't forget to tell them that this company is far from sunshine and rainbows.

bsoria

Funny how this thread got resurrected 6 years later. lol. IT'S ALIIIIVE

With plenty of time before the 2018 peak season, I'd like to relate a bit of my experience as a DH these past two years that I've been working.

That first year was rough. I started out knowing nothing about anything. First it was unload, then trailers. Eventually the supes realized I had a brain, so they took me to load package cars. Building was new, so we were loading in PDCs while things were getting built inside. That "gentle" Winter breeze flowed right through those things along with any rain and kept you nice and freezing. :cold: Personally, I didn't mind too much since I run hot when I work. :thumbup1:

Peak season was in full swing and I learned about DH and signed up immediately. Took me a couple of days to get used to DH work and the peak season schedule. This was the first time I was working 14 hour days, but I got used to it and I started looking forward to it. Drivers were nice enough I guess.

About half way through peak, I got moved to a package car that delivers a mall and the surrounding area. The car has to be loaded by store. It took me about a week to learn the basic format, but the driver was gracious enough to explain things little by little, and the load improved over time. Eventually, it became my favorite truck to load and I have it down to a science. By chance, I started to DH for this driver and we ran together during both peaks. Running this route really opened my eyes to how loaders can make or break a day for both driver and customer. It also helped me really learn how to load so much better. There is a difference between loading a truck like a part-timer and a driver.

This mall driver was flawless. He had experience, has the route down to a tee, paid for my meals, made me deliver to babes, and knows how to use a DH properly. That route runs like freaking clockwork. After that first peak, it was pretty much guaranteed that I was to load THIS truck and DH THIS route because of how well things run.
Last peak, when the driver had to call in a few times, I got set up with some rookie drivers who know nothing about the route and little about driving. The route planner tried to explain the route to the driver right there as I was bulking in. After the planner left, I told the driver to forget all that, and where to go for his first two stops while I got myself ready. Stop for stop, I know that route like the back of my hand, and I've never even touched the wheel.

Now, I'm just biding my time and waiting to graduate to feeder. I've been told I'm going to be hard to replace. I've tried training people, but no one wants to learn the load, and the set is a heavy workload. I'm not too worried. I'm sure there will be someone who isn't scared of sweat and has a good head on their shoulders... eventually.

As for DH?

DH is awesome if you have a good driver. It helped me improve my work ethic and keep the driver in mind while loading. You get to meet people, make friends (if you're delivering business usually), get ogled by the general public, and the pay isn't terrible either. :thumbup:

watdaflock?

Funny how this thread got resurrected 6 years later. lol. IT'S ALIIIIVE

With plenty of time before the 2018 peak season, I'd like to relate a bit of my experience as a DH these past two years that I've been working.

That first year was rough. I started out knowing nothing about anything. First it was unload, then trailers. Eventually the supes realized I had a brain, so they took me to load package cars. Building was new, so we were loading in PDCs while things were getting built inside. That "gentle" Winter breeze flowed right through those things along with any rain and kept you nice and freezing. :cold: Personally, I didn't mind too much since I run hot when I work. :thumbup1:

Peak season was in full swing and I learned about DH and signed up immediately. Took me a couple of days to get used to DH work and the peak season schedule. This was the first time I was working 14 hour days, but I got used to it and I started looking forward to it. Drivers were nice enough I guess.

About half way through peak, I got moved to a package car that delivers a mall and the surrounding area. The car has to be loaded by store. It took me about a week to learn the basic format, but the driver was gracious enough to explain things little by little, and the load improved over time. Eventually, it became my favorite truck to load and I have it down to a science. By chance, I started to DH for this driver and we ran together during both peaks. Running this route really opened my eyes to how loaders can make or break a day for both driver and customer. It also helped me really learn how to load so much better. There is a difference between loading a truck like a part-timer and a driver.

This mall driver was flawless. He had experience, has the route down to a tee, paid for my meals, made me deliver to babes, and knows how to use a DH properly. That route runs like freaking clockwork. After that first peak, it was pretty much guaranteed that I was to load THIS truck and DH THIS route because of how well things run.
Last peak, when the driver had to call in a few times, I got set up with some rookie drivers who know nothing about the route and little about driving. The route planner tried to explain the route to the driver right there as I was bulking in. After the planner left, I told the driver to forget all that, and where to go for his first two stops while I got myself ready. Stop for stop, I know that route like the back of my hand, and I've never even touched the wheel.

Now, I'm just biding my time and waiting to graduate to feeder. I've been told I'm going to be hard to replace. I've tried training people, but no one wants to learn the load, and the set is a heavy workload. I'm not too worried. I'm sure there will be someone who isn't scared of sweat and has a good head on their shoulders... eventually.

As for DH?

DH is awesome if you have a good driver. It helped me improve my work ethic and keep the driver in mind while loading. You get to meet people, make friends (if you're delivering business usually), get ogled by the general public, and the pay isn't terrible either. :thumbup:
Come on man, give us a Cliff notes version.

Many drivers don't need a helper. They are just lazy and want the month of doing less walking.