9.5 AND GROUND OUT BOUND

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Well if it ever becomes a “thing” here I will do something similar and will recommend every 9.5:driver do the same. But they have to instruct me to be stupid first! 🤣
All I'll say is that one of these times you'll end up getting burned and won't get paid.

Getting lucky repeatedly is not an advisable strategy to be counting on.
Especially when it is so simple to just cover all your bases.

BrownSnowFlake

Mr. Mustard: Please tell me that you're ESL and that your writing is not reflective of any public school system in the United States.

Everyone Else: 9.5 has become a backdoor way to harass drivers about production. Especially newer drivers with less experience, who are still given the same workload as 20 year guys. Why did the union ever think this would be a good idea? There was already a 9.5 list in my building under the last contract. No reason to put the whole company on it. Younger guys with families probably want the overtime anyways.

Cowboy Mac

Their own data says I’ll be over 9.5. The Orion schedule says my eta to last stop is after 9.5. Oh, and it has me at my first stop ten minutes after start time but we have our own sort and load so yeah.. they know I’m gonna be over probably before I went to bed the night before.

An ODS message be like sending a letter, then sending an email to say “I sent you a letter”, then sending a text that says “hey, check your email!” Or it would just be whining. I don’t whine about my dispatch I get it done and cash the checks. I assume if they running me over regular they must be counting on paying for it. I don’t want to work that late but if I do I figure I’m a few hours closer to retirement. 😀

If your local allows this as an excuse to withdraw its weak IMO. Again, before all the tech it was whole different deal. But now? Heck if they ask me “what happened?” I answer “you must already know”.
Sending ODS messages is not whining, it’s covering your butt. I always make it loud and clear if I believe there is going to be a failure. Preferably with witnesses.

For my center 9.5 is not really an issue right now because everyone is filing and everyone is going over. The eta covers us for that.

If I have a late eta I send reminder messages that my air will be late getting back to building.

That way they can never say I didn’t communicate with them before having service failures.

AKCoverMan

Sending ODS messages is not whining, it’s covering your butt. I always make it loud and clear if I believe there is going to be a failure. Preferably with witnesses.

For my center 9.5 is not really an issue right now because everyone is filing and everyone is going over. The eta covers us for that.

If I have a late eta I send reminder messages that my air will be late getting back to building.

That way they can never say I didn’t communicate with them before having service failures.
I’m not missing service on anything I’m just over 9.5.. they can dispatch me under 9.5 or they can pay triple time. Either way I’m good.. our air has to be picked up before noon any pickups I do are going to be unscheduled and get a scan for late tender

AKCoverMan

All I'll say is that one of these times you'll end up getting burned and won't get paid.

Getting lucky repeatedly is not an advisable strategy to be counting on.
Especially when it is so simple to just cover all your bases.
This has nothing to do with “luck”. Do all of you really believe that if you don’t send a message whining about being over 9.5 that they really don’t already know? Hell they knew the day before when they decided to cut routes.

Their choice is run drivers over 9.5 or put more car on road than the Corporate Masters deemed appropriate.

AKCoverMan

Well an eta would be informing them you’re over if it’s late enough. They don’t ask for an eta here.

The frustrating part here is they almost never respond acknowledging that you said you were over 9.5. So you just have to assume they got your message.
If I’m eight hours into day and I got 30:stops left how in the heck am I gonna be under 9.5? Sending a message is not only a waste of my time, it’s insulting. My route is a rural route runs about a 9-11 SPOHR. It’s simple math...

freehoodies

If I’m eight hours into day and I got 30:stops left how in the heck am I gonna be under 9.5? Sending a message is not only a waste of my time, it’s insulting. My route is a rural route runs about a 9-11 SPOHR. It’s simple math...
Covering your ass is an artform.

Spending a couple minutes sending a message that you might be over 9.5 covers your ass, earns you an extra couple minutes of pay, and if they send you help thats an extra stop for you to hand the runner.

Diad messages have to be saved for arbitration as per the contract. Some drivers don't use their phones at all and ask for all communication to be through the diad for that exact reason, so they cant ask them to do something and then say they never said that.

It also makes coordinating a meetup point a nightmare for management so they will go out of their way to make your route doable so they don't have to deal with it.

Cowboy Mac

This has nothing to do with “luck”. Do all of you really believe that if you don’t send a message whining about being over 9.5 that they really don’t already know? Hell they knew the day before when they decided to cut routes.

Their choice is run drivers over 9.5 or put more car on road than the Corporate Masters deemed appropriate.
Let’s be honest, ORS are not exactly the cream of the crop.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
If you’re 8 hours into the day it’s too late to send a message anyway.

like I said you’re being stubborn or difficult just to be difficult

“Waste of time” wow yeah those 15 seconds probably caused missed pieces lol

“insulting” what a freaking drama Queen.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
This has nothing to do with “luck”. Do all of you really believe that if you don’t send a message whining about being over 9.5 that they really don’t already know?
It has nothing to do at all with if they know or not. It’s about following proper procedures and covering your ass. We are not allowed to assume management has a shred of common sense. That will get you a warning letter or suspension real quick.

I was going to explain it and give you plenty of examples but you clearly don’t get it. So you’re not worth the effort.

I just hope some noob doesn’t see your posts and actually believe that’s the way things work.

AKCoverMan

It has nothing to do at all with if they know or not. It’s about following proper procedures and covering your ass. We are not allowed to assume management has a shred of common sense. That will get you a warning letter or suspension real quick.

I was going to explain it and give you plenty of examples but you clearly don’t get it. So you’re not worth the effort.

I just hope some noob doesn’t see your posts and actually believe that’s the way things work.
Ok so what other completely obvious things do you ODS? “FYI iits Thursday today”

Look if your center requires this then ok.. let’s do something stupid. But it is insulting to them to point out the obvious. Just like I feel insulted when I get a message reminding me to do a call tag or something.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Ok so what other completely obvious things do you ODS? “FYI iits Thursday today”

Look if your center requires this then ok.. let’s do something stupid. But it is insulting to them to point out the obvious. Just like I feel insulted when I get a message reminding me to do a call tag or something.

The reason you have to do it is because the production standards are far from perfect and they know it. Also the OMS don’t know how the routes run. Some routes take until 1600 to get 70 stops off but you can get 70 more done by 1900 because the easy areas are last. But maybe one day you had a few extra on calls on the wrong side of town that slowed you down. They don’t understand this stuff or if they do they don’t pay close enough attention to each route to know what’s going on.

AKCoverMan

The reason you have to do it is because the production standards are far from perfect and they know it. Also the OMS don’t know how the routes run. Some routes take until 1600 to get 70 stops off but you can get 70 more done by 1900 because the easy areas are last. But maybe one day you had a few extra on calls on the wrong side of town that slowed you down. They don’t understand this stuff or if they do they don’t pay close enough attention to each route to know what’s going on.
Yes.. but they can see in real time what’s going on.

If I take out a Miao box, I can’t just get out of it by saying nobody told me there was a mailbox there.

AKCoverMan

No they’re just doing theirs and I didn’t start here yesterday.
Dude, I didn’t start here yesterday either, I’m sorry you feel the need to name call and belittle me.

All I’m saying is I have been on 9.5 since I was first eligible, and this has never been an issue. When they got the ability to know what we have done, what we have left, where we are, how fast we are going all in real time the need for this ended.

I get it.. a decade and a half ago I’d be sending in messages becsuse, hey, they can’t be clairvoyant right? But now? Sorry it just seems really silly and condescending.

So if this is something your instructed to do in your center then sure, why not. But I never have been so instructed and see no need to do it on my own volition, nor will I accept “you never said you might be over” in a hearing as a reason to withdraw a grievance.