9.5 as a cover driver less than 4 years

IIIIII

I’ve gotten on the list. They have already begun changing my route and renaming it some days. I still get 12 hours a day and the route still has a lot of similar stops, helping the same areas just different residentials (still in same town) and businesses(still in same town) with about 40 stops out of 130 remaining the same. Do I still have a chance to file and get my hours reduced?

Also I’ve heard UPS can’t force me to use my phone, I plan on leaving it in my car for now on. What is my responsibility when it comes to providing a mapsco or something to navigate with? I don’t plan on intentionally sabotaging my job. I just don’t plan on doing them any favors such as providing things I don’t have to free of charge. The way I’ve been treated for requesting less hours and insisting they follow the contract has been disgraceful.

IIIIII

Also I don’t have a route, it’s just the route I always run the majority of the time. No one else runs this route when I’m there and it’s in.

Brown Down

Unless they put up a bid for the route either permanently or weekly you really don' h any options under the 9.5 language that I'm aware of

DriverNerd

You are not required to use your personal cell phone at work. If you would prefer to use a map book, tell management to provide you with one. If they provide you with a phone, of course, that would be different. But I doubt that will happen.

Indecisi0n

They won't give you a phone for maps. You can still keep your phone on you and refuse to use it. They need to provide you with a map.

Staydryitsraining

Follow every single method, completely kill their numbers for 2 weeks, take an hour lunch every single day and if you find any packages on the wrong shelf shoot them in as misloads. Come back in 2 weeks and update us.

RolloTony Brown Town

I’ve gotten on the list. They have already begun changing my route and renaming it some days. I still get 12 hours a day and the route still has a lot of similar stops, helping the same areas just different residentials (still in same town) and businesses(still in same town) with about 40 stops out of 130 remaining the same. Do I still have a chance to file and get my hours reduced?

Also I’ve heard UPS can’t force me to use my phone, I plan on leaving it in my car for now on. What is my responsibility when it comes to providing a mapsco or something to navigate with? I don’t plan on intentionally sabotaging my job. I just don’t plan on doing them any favors such as providing things I don’t have to free of charge. The way I’ve been treated for requesting less hours and insisting they follow the contract has been disgraceful.

You don’t have a route of your own yet correct? Your bid is cover? So are you also still in progression? Have you had the opportunity to bid a route of your own? How well do you perform? It doesn’t matter if TheUnion recognizes performance. That may protect your job if you suck at it but ups still dispatched based on those time studies.

In my center you can’t opt in unless you have a route of your own. That may not be the same everywhere but my recommendation to get better protection under the 9.5 language is to bid a route. They’ll come OJS you and “lock you in” but you’ll be able to better use the contract language.

Trying to use excessive overtime language as a cover rarely works. You seem like you’re basically trying to argue that you’re on the same route under a different name. Why not just follow the contract better from a past practice perspective and bid a route? Path of least resistance my friend.

I’m an on car supervisor and I approve this message.

barnyard

KTM rider
If the route is in daily with the same core of business stops, tell your BA about it and find out if it should be a bid route. We have those routes in my center. They have a care of business stops that are always on them, but they change resis almost daily. Steward spoke to them about it and they were bid.

rod

Retired 22 years
What is this "map book" you speak of? We had no cell phones, no map books and no GPS. Just our brains and 3X5 index cards you made up as you found people. Have I told you lately how tuff we had it?

BUCN85

Not required to use your phone. They tried making me call a resi customer for a meet. I was buried that day I refused. Former on road sup said I wasn't working as instructed. Steward and BA had a nice laugh over that

IIIIII

If the route is in daily with the same core of business stops, tell your BA about it and find out if it should be a bid route. We have those routes in my center. They have a care of business stops that are always on them, but they change resis almost daily. Steward spoke to them about it and they were bid.
I’ve filed on it before for being in 30 days in a row. They changed the route a lot since then. Now that I’m on 9.5 list they are swapping off bulk for a business heavy street and changing resi around, but it’s all in same cities and areas just slightly changed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Not required to use your phone. They tried making me call a resi customer for a meet. I was buried that day I refused. Former on road sup said I wasn't working as instructed. Steward and BA had a nice laugh over that

So you would have made the call on a light day?

I refuse to call and/or meet a customer on road; invariably they are either late or change their minds and don’t show up at all.

Tony Q

They can't force you to use your phone. Documentation is going to be a key ally for you. File a grievance every week you are over 9.5. Include that you want your triple time and say you need interpretation on them moving your work around and calling the route a different name. You can include in the grievance the phone issue as well to muddy up the water a little.

You don’t have a route of your own yet correct? Your bid is cover? So are you also still in progression? Have you had the opportunity to bid a route of your own? How well do you perform? It doesn’t matter if TheUnion recognizes performance. That may protect your job if you suck at it but ups still dispatched based on those time studies.

In my center you can’t opt in unless you have a route of your own. That may not be the same everywhere but my recommendation to get better protection under the 9.5 language is to bid a route. They’ll come OJS you and “lock you in” but you’ll be able to better use the contract language.

Trying to use excessive overtime language as a cover rarely works. You seem like you’re basically trying to argue that you’re on the same route under a different name. Why not just follow the contract better from a past practice perspective and bid a route? Path of least resistance my friend.

I’m an on car supervisor and I approve this message.
Do you have a copy of your centers “special addendum “ to the contract? You missed the language that refers to mgmt moving you around on routes. I’ve seen this issue come up in a couple buildings. As a regularly scheduled driver “bid or not”. Same rights.

MC0493

Filed 9.5 in local 177 as a cover driver and it stuck. If you cover the same route for a week at a time you may have a chance. Or start requesting that route, then you've got more leverage.