9.5 as a cover driver less than 4 years

You aren’t reading. I’m trying to teach the lad to take the path of least resistance. Bid a freaking route! Why are you trying to help a cover driver reinvent the wheel?

I warned him of potential repercussions for his filing because they are a reality to the job.

I’m the problem? The problem is you’re telling him that he’ll succeed. I’m at least being a realist and honest about it. Wake up and smell the coffee

File if you want and push the issuse. Good luck in your quest but if you bid a route of your own you won’t have to reinvent the wheel. You’ll be covered. Mind you, most of these clowns didn’t file as covers anyhow.
Im a career cover driver. Have been on the 9.5 list in 3 buildings, in 2 states. Never needed yo file a grievance for it.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
You don’t have a route of your own yet correct? Your bid is cover? So are you also still in progression? Have you had the opportunity to bid a route of your own? How well do you perform? It doesn’t matter if TheUnion recognizes performance. That may protect your job if you suck at it but ups still dispatched based on those time studies.

In my center you can’t opt in unless you have a route of your own. That may not be the same everywhere but my recommendation to get better protection under the 9.5 language is to bid a route. They’ll come OJS you and “lock you in” but you’ll be able to better use the contract language.

Trying to use excessive overtime language as a cover rarely works. You seem like you’re basically trying to argue that you’re on the same route under a different name. Why not just follow the contract better from a past practice perspective and bid a route? Path of least resistance my friend.

I’m an on car supervisor and I approve this message.

Everything you said is wrong.
Literally everything

35years

Gravy route
mvol50 said:

My point is based on past practice in MY center and what I have witnessed. Unlike the rank and file that complain on these types of threads, I only speak on what I see.
That is why I said you might be ignorant. Ignorant is not an insult...You just have not witnessed what others have. Many of us have had 3 day "lock in" rides which usually have no weight at panel unless the driver is completely dogging it otherwise.

Any on car worth a salt will OJS his 9.5 opt-ins if he isn’t giving a decent performance. You can argue no such thing as a lock in, but notice I quoted it... but I haven’t had a paying 9.5 grievance in 3 years. Why is that? Because if they fail to maintain they don’t get their penalty pay either.
I get my penalty pay without displaying a specific SPOH or a certain level of under/over. Be assured I fought and won this same argument at panel.

An OJS ride is about making sure the driver is proficient at using the methods. It does not "lock" the driver in to a level of performance. If the driver is using the methods to a T during a fair OJS, he will likely have even better on his own... The problem is supervisors rarely allow a fair OJS. You can read my prior post for examples. The sups are usually pressured to "make" the numbers look better on the OJS and cheat the system. OJS rides are almost never random or representative, which are two critical criteria for statistical extrapolation. Every driver understands that a manipulated, hand picked 3 days does not adequately represent, with any precision, the route.

35 years... calling a person ignorant for stating what they’ve been through in their center is ignorance on your part. I’m a fair supervisor. I enjoy what I do and work well with my group. With so much hate, maybe you should look for employment elsewhere. Teamsters like you are the problem.
No hate here. Just pointing out the fallacy in your arguments. Ignorance does not equate to stupidity. Your contentions are not uncommon among on-cars. The problem is you have internalized the script handed down from above. Perhaps when you have 20 or 30 years in instead of 3 you will notice the absurdity and malleability of some of the time studies.

When you guys start acting like adults you may get somewhere. Anyone can file a grievance. The key is will you get paid for it. Probably not.
I am paid each and every time I file. The labor manager does not even argue anymore. Drivers who use the methods and file every time eventually have their dispatches cut. It is not a matter of maintaining an absurd level of performance dictated by the faulty, ever changing "time study" numbers. I have not had to file in a long time (years) because my dispatch is now controlled.

Last edited:

IIIIII

Heading up to my union hall for the monthly meeting. Going to get some help filling out this 9.5 and some article 37s. They tried to make this first week rough on me. Got an overtime increase and extra stops.

IIIIII

I got another 9.5 question.
I was told to arrive at a triple time payout I’m suppose to multiply my wage by 1.5 and then again at 1.5.
This is knocking about 200 dollars off my settlement request compared to multiplying it by 3. Is this correct?

Rack em

Made the Podium
I got another 9.5 question.
I was told to arrive at a triple time payout I’m suppose to multiply my wage by 1.5 and then again at 1.5.
This is knocking about 200 dollars off my settlement request compared to multiplying it by 3. Is this correct?
Triple time would be 3x your normal hourly rate. If you make $35 an hour then triple time would be $105 an hour.

BlackCat

I don’t get why steward would say the whole 1.5 thing.. maybe trying to get it settled faster with center manager?

You have already been paid 1.5 for the OT. The grievance is for an additional 1.5 for any work over 9.5 making it 3 x

BlackCat

Well then it would be 2.25 x, not 3 x.

Sigh.......

reg = 36.120
ot = 54.180

For the sake of simplicity, lets say you work 10.5 hrs.

You have already been paid the OT rate of 54.18 for any overtime past 8.

For the grievance, you are being paid 54.18 for any time over 9.5. In this case 1 hr.

For that 1 hr work (over 9.5) you will have been compensated 108.36.

36.120 X 3 = 108.36

Your math:

36.120 x 2.25 = 81.27