9.5 Not Good Enough!

Thebrownblob

Working 12 hours in feeders isn’t the same as 9.5 in packages. You have to be physical the entire time. Feeders allows you to take a 3 hr nap on the clock and drive the rest.
No doubt the work is easier but the hours are the same away from home, if you’re not spending enough time with your family working 12 in feeders is no different. I don’t care how many hours people work or want to work it’s fine with me but I’ve had people say the union doesn’t care about my family because I’m working too many hours. OK then don’t go to feeders in work 12. Most of these guys are asking for the extra hours. Or just be honest and say package car work sucks because, I do agree lol.

swing_drv

We should be working to live, not living to work.

40-hour work weeks please!

Who on earth wants to punch out at 8pm every night? It's gay.

8.5, NOT 9.5!

Who came up with 9.5 anyway? Seems like a union failure. Optional O.T. makes logical sense. We're not slaves! ..Unless we are!
I would love 4 10's

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Here we go again. It's the unions failure because they actually have to negotiate a contract in good faith.

I bet when you walk out with a brand new vehicle from a car dealership it's free huh because that's what you demanded so obviously that's what you're going to get.

Only considering costs to the company isn't good faith.

542thruNthru

Only considering costs to the company isn't good faith.
How is it not good faith? A company can't stay open if it can't make money. The union demanding every employee makes $1,000 an hour knowing that the company could not afford that is not bargaining in good faith.

Also I'm sure it's not only cost that's brought into it. Companies have different hours and UPS needs to be able to accommodate them the best they can. You can only stagger start times so much when we deliver air and ground unlike FedEx which has two separate divisions.

Don't get me wrong I'd love 8 hours to be the maximum everyday but to say it's a failure on the Union's part is just asinine to me.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
How is it not good faith? A company can't stay open if it can't make money. The union demanding every employee makes $1,000 an hour knowing that the company could not afford that is not bargaining in good faith.

Also I'm sure it's not only cost that's brought into it. Companies have different hours and UPS needs to be able to accommodate them the best they can. You can only stagger start times so much when we deliver air and ground unlike FedEx which has two separate divisions.

Don't get me wrong I'd love 8 hours to be the maximum everyday but to say it's a failure on the Union's part is just asinine to me.

Slow down sparky. I didn't say anything about being a failure on the union's part. I said It's not good faith to only consider the cost to the company. A lot of you assume that the company can't make a profit if they gave us 8 hr days. I can assure you that is a lie. They also can't operate when all of their employees finally get fed up with not having a personal life. Considering the cost to the company and the employees is good faith.

542thruNthru

Slow down sparky. I didn't say anything about being a failure on the union's part. I said It's not good faith to only consider the cost to the company. A lot of you assume that the company can't make a profit if they gave us 8 hr days. I can assure you that is a lie. They also can't operate when all of their employees finally get fed up with not having a personal life. Considering the cost to the company and the employees is good faith.
I didn't mean to insinuate that you did. You quote what I said to someone else and I was just pointing out why I said it.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I didn't mean to insinuate that you did. You quote what I said to someone else and I was just pointing out why I said it.

I understood why you said it, and what was wrong with what you said. Let me ask you an honest question, do you think there are any legitimate criticisms of the union? You seem to defend it no matter what anyone says, even when the Union has clearly failed. I don't believe any person or organization is above reproach. Being able to accept criticism and working to improve makes us stronger. Running away from honest criticism makes us weak.

RMR46

No doubt the work is easier but the hours are the same away from home, if you’re not spending enough time with your family working 12 in feeders is no different. I don’t care how many hours people work or want to work it’s fine with me but I’ve had people say the union doesn’t care about my family because I’m working too many hours. OK then don’t go to feeders in work 12. Most of these guys are asking for the extra hours. Or just be honest and say package car work sucks because, I do agree lol.
$1000 a month extra 9/5

542thruNthru

I understood why you said it, and what was wrong with what you said. Let me ask you an honest question, do you think there are any legitimate criticisms of the union? You seem to defend it no matter what anyone says, even when the Union has clearly failed. I don't believe any person or organization is above reproach. Being able to accept criticism and working to improve makes us stronger. Running away from honest criticism makes us weak.
I absolutely believe there are legitimate criticisms of the union. Though your ideas of clear failures may differ than mine.

A big one to me is they're almost blatant refusal to use technology to engage members.

Mostly I believe legitimate criticisms lie with locals. Blaming the union as a whole to me is ridiculous.

You believe the union should be able to easily negotiate 8-hour only days.That's fine. I disagree.

You see me backing the union on here a lot because most of the time we have pie in the sky ideas of what the union is capable of when it really comes down to what the members are willing to fight for. It is said all the time we the members are the union. The problem is we all want something different and fight amongst each other and blame elected officials for when we don't get it. Personally I don't know many that want just 8 hours. I see more people complain (like on here during peak) when all they are getting is 8 hours.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I absolutely believe there are legitimate criticisms of the union. Though your ideas of clear failures may differ than mine.

A big one to me is they're almost blatant refusal to use technology to engage members.

Mostly I believe legitimate criticisms lie with locals. Blaming the union as a whole to me is ridiculous.

You believe the union should be able to easily negotiate 8-hour only days.That's fine. I disagree.

You see me backing the union on here a lot because most of the time we have pie in the sky ideas of what the union is capable of when it really comes down to what the members are willing to fight for. It is said all the time we the members are the union. The problem is we all want something different and fight amongst each other and blame elected officials for when we don't get it. Personally I don't know many that want just 8 hours. I see more people complain (like on here during peak) when all they are getting is 8 hours.

I appreciate your candor. I don't think the Union should exactly negotiate 8 hr days, I don't believe in a one-size-fits-all solution. I just don't think giving everyone who wants 8 hours just 8 hours will bankrupt the company. It should be voluntary, and OT should be the exception for people who don't want it. I'm pretty sure the company can make things work that way.

Aside from that, I think there are certain things the membership simply can't accomplish if the representatives don't do their jobs well, or at all. The reps need to be able to organize and rally the troops, and doing that requires understanding what they need, utilizing your organizational structure to come up with solutions and communicate back and forth with the members. Without those basic things, the members have no clue what's going on, and become apathetic. It really all does depend on the representation doing their jobs effectively.

542thruNthru

I appreciate your candor. I don't think the Union should exactly negotiate 8 hr days, I don't believe in a one-size-fits-all solution. I just don't think giving everyone who wants 8 hours just 8 hours will bankrupt the company. It should be voluntary, and OT should be the exception for people who don't want it. I'm pretty sure the company can make things work that way.
I believe voluntary OT could work in some areas but not all. So many different centers with different types of towns/cities and populations. Then weather and or congestion. I just think it's a harder equation than we know. Though I think it should at least be attempted then like everything else forced from the bottom up.
Aside from that, I think there are certain things the membership simply can't accomplish if the representatives don't do their jobs well, or at all. The reps need to be able to organize and rally the troops, and doing that requires understanding what they need, utilizing your organizational structure to come up with solutions and communicate back and forth with the members. Without those basic things, the members have no clue what's going on, and become apathetic. It really all does depend on the representation doing their jobs effectively.
I agree that if representatives don't make the effort first than the membership will never truly get involved. Again I feel this is a local issue which if I'm being honest is a big problem at my local as well. Though I volunteer a lot and help to try and inform members and I'm sure you have as well. It's sad how many speed past you because they just don't want to be bothered. The only time members seem to rally is when they are getting screwed and it's practically too late.

I also hate when I talk with a member and he doesn't even care and thinks of paying the union as just a cost to work there like it's how he pays for insurance.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I believe voluntary OT could work in some areas but not all. So many different centers with different types of towns/cities and populations. Then weather and or congestion. I just think it's a harder equation than we know. Though I think it should at least be attempted then like everything else forced from the bottom up.

I agree that if representatives don't make the effort first than the membership will never truly get involved. Again I feel this is a local issue which if I'm being honest is a big problem at my local as well. Though I volunteer a lot and help to try and inform members and I'm sure you have as well. It's sad how many speed past you because they just don't want to be bothered. The only time members seem to really is when they are getting screwed and it's practically too late.

I also hate when I talk with a member and he doesn't even care and thinks of paying the union as just a cost to work there like it's how he pays for insurance.

I figured out that you really have to spoon feed people, and it's not all on the higher ups, it is an organization wide issue. We stewards are under-utilized in my local, so I took it upon myself to correct that.