9.5 Not Good Enough!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
We should be working to live, not living to work.

40-hour work weeks please!

Who on earth wants to punch out at 8pm every night? It's gay.

8.5, NOT 9.5!

Who came up with 9.5 anyway? Seems like a union failure. Optional O.T. makes logical sense. We're not slaves! ..Unless we are!
A big one to me is they're almost blatant refusal to use technology to engage members.
I believe this is done on purpose. keep members as dumb and ill informed as possible. Less likely to make waves if they are ignorant to what’s going on

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We should be working to live, not living to work.

40-hour work weeks please!

Who on earth wants to punch out at 8pm every night? It's gay.

8.5, NOT 9.5!

Who came up with 9.5 anyway? Seems like a union failure. Optional O.T. makes logical sense. We're not slaves! ..Unless we are!
I always felt like my civil rights were being violated when I was forced to work OT. I don’t like being forced to do anything.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Right, so it’s not about the hours, it’s about the work. I’m fine with that, but it’s funny when people pretend they just want to be home with their family. And then go to feeders and smash 12 every day.
I went feeder to make money. Not to 8 and skate every day. UPS keep your hands off my overtime.

trotsky

The strangest thing I’ve noticed over the years, is the ones to complain about 9.5 or the hours they working in general The most end up going to feeders and wanting 12 hours every day🤷‍♂️.
Thats not more work its just more time sitting on their asses, they just happen to be getting paid but im sure it wouldn't matter to them if they were just sitting anywhere really...

UPSER1987

Right, so it’s not about the hours, it’s about the work. I’m fine with that, but it’s funny when people pretend they just want to be home with their family. And then go to feeders and smash 12 every day.
What’s really dumb is the same guys complaining about not seeing their family are the same ones hanging around in the office off the clock before and after work. Those guys are idiots.

Whither

Scofflaw
I believe voluntary OT could work in some areas but not all. So many different centers with different types of towns/cities and populations. Then weather and or congestion. I just think it's a harder equation than we know. Though I think it should at least be attempted then like everything else forced from the bottom up.

I agree that if representatives don't make the effort first than the membership will never truly get involved. Again I feel this is a local issue which if I'm being honest is a big problem at my local as well. Though I volunteer a lot and help to try and inform members and I'm sure you have as well. It's sad how many speed past you because they just don't want to be bothered. The only time members seem to rally is when they are getting screwed and it's practically too late.

I also hate when I talk with a member and he doesn't even care and thinks of paying the union as just a cost to work there like it's how he pays for insurance.
Great discussion here between you and @zubenelgenubi. This is the kind of talk that might help us try to shore up weaknesses in our locals ahead of 2023. Thanks y'all.

I have always thought my local gets it wrong from the outset. Since at least half of the membership is in a RTW state, these members are joining by choice. They have some interest. The bare minimum would be reaching out to get these new members down to the hall to take the oath of obligation, give them educational materials re: how to be a strong Teamster at their respective employer (e.g., the contract(s), a 101 tutorial on common issues at that workplace w/ citations of contractual language or past practice on how to defend one's rights, and a Q&A session).

I'm gonna have to bring that up at a membership meeting soon. I usually have something to say, but man, the open floor portion of the meetings flies by and I don't want to hog the floor with a laundry list of issues. So I pick and choose what to address.

I respect that even a mediocre union rep, say a stew or a BA, has a ton of responsibilities. This suggestion might seem like one more task on a full plate. However, assisting enthusiastic members makes the local stronger and less dependent on the reps.