A New Letter Writing Campaign

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A while back, there was a post advocating writing a letter to Fred. While well-intentioned, since Fred is the mastermind behind all of this, he will simply toss your letter...if it even gets to him.

We really need to send letters and emails to the media, especially pertaining to the speedup of work and the resultant lack of safety. There have been a lot of employees hurt or killed, but there have also been a lot of innocent motorists and pedestrians. The media needs to know what FedEx is doing, why it's dangerous, and why it's newsworthy.

What happens if you get killed or seriously hurt? FedEx Legal will make sure that it's a Workers Comp issue, so you or your survivors will not get a big payout. They will say something like "operating a commercial motor vehicle is dangerous and when you took the courier job, you willingly assumed that risk". Statistically, operating a CMV IS dangerous, but pushing people to the wall every day is making it extremely dangerous. The media needs to be made aware that FedEx is putting the PUBLIC at-risk in addition to it's own employees through it's dangerous business practices.

If it ever gets to the media, FedEx will trot-out the PR team, who will say that we are always told to "be safe"...blah, blah, blah and feign ignorance of the situation they have put us in. Remember, all they really care about is minimizing their exposure and potential payout. This is where your emails and letters put a human face on this fiasco, and a face on the victims. Most of them will get paid-off to keep their mouths shut, but you won't.

I've been sending correspondence for a year or more, with no response. But it's easy to write one letter writer off as a disgruntled employee. It's harder when there 1,000 letters saying the same thing, and local newspaper and TV stories about how FedEx ran someone over, T-boned a car, or blew through a red light at 10:27am.

I urge you to do something in your own behalf and on behalf of the future potential victims of FedEx. What they are doing is unsafe, immoral, and unethical. Don't be like them....do something instead to change the future for someone who doesn't need to get hurt or die because Fred wants to make more money.

thedownhillEXPRESS

I agree it's gone too far.

We were told the edict from the top is to do whatever it takes to make your numbers.
When asked if this includes falsification, it was met with silence(everyone new this meant yes).

To me this has become direct threats against our jobs for anyone refusing to falsify documents or their timecards.

I am encouraging everyone to contact their local department of labor and DOT offices.

Epoisode7

Will the Ground guys be allowed to use crayons or have an adult help them write their letters?
Ha! You UPS guys think you're so smart! When I quit Ground, I took all the scanner stylus's (whats plural...stylusses? Stylii?) with me. They write on paper, right?

HomeDelivery

Ha! You UPS guys think you're so smart! When I quit Ground, I took all the scanner stylus's (whats plural...stylusses? Stylii?) with me. They write on paper, right?

i'm one of the exception to that rule... i actually keep my daily manifest w/ notations of certain stops (like sm wht bag on porch chair next to the address) so when a dispute/claim does arrive, i can look back to see where i put them. it might be moot point since i haven't had a dispute/ claim against me in over 2 months...

i don't want to take phone pix of every DR i do (like what you were doing on the other thread); the scanners have that capability, but they don't want to enable it yet?!?

hypo hanna

Anonymous tips to the department of transportation will get more attention then the press. They are only going to act when there is a particular gruesome accident or some small child gets killed. Stories about abused and disgruntled employeeswon't sell papers.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
We need to write our representatives in congress and let them know we want an up or down vote on the union plain and simple!!!!

our representatives in Congress?...oh, you must be talking about those guys whose pockets the real Uncle Freddie has been stuffing for years now.

Keep reading back through these threads and you'll get an idea of what we're really up against here. This is where you'll learn the true story of "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We need to write our representatives in congress and let them know we want an up or down vote on the union plain and simple!!!!

Glad you are off the Kool-Aid and on-board with reality. Fred has bought and paid for numerous politicians who allow him to keep the RLA. Congress is well aware of the FedEx situation, and they seem to be just fine with it.

bbsam

Staff member
Will the Ground guys be allowed to use crayons or have an adult help them write their letters?

The question might be relevant if such a campaign ever materialized, but signing a card is easier than writing a letter and we know how that has gone...or hasn't.

Route 66

Slapped Upside-da-Head Member
Congress is well aware of the FedEx situation, and they seem to be just fine with it.
yep!....in fact I'd even go so far as to say they're just downright giddy - 'specially every time they see their favorite gray-haired uncle walk in through the door

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
yep!....in fact I'd even go so far as to say they're just downright giddy - 'specially every time they see their favorite gray-haired uncle walk in through the door

I got my standardized Dateline rejection email today. Maybe we should concentrate on the Congress angle rather than Fred killing couriers.

bbsam

Staff member
I got my standardized Dateline rejection email today. Maybe we should concentrate on the Congress angle rather than Fred killing couriers.

couriers could always start posting YouTube videos describing their Fedex experience and have them sent en masse to multiple media outlets all over the world.

SmithBarney

Couldn't there be some sort of Class action lawsuit regarding difference in PAY for the same job, since there is no written policy regarding raises or progression.
it seems there must be some sort of law that requires a company to disclose policy since we don't really have a policy(it's changed every year for at least the last 5 years)
one might contend that there is no 'set' poilicy

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
couriers could always start posting YouTube videos describing their Fedex experience and have them sent en masse to multiple media outlets all over the world.

See IamFedEx.com. Make sure you have a bucket or bag handy so you don't vomit on the floor.

Epoisode7

Brilliant. Post Youtube with an anonymous, blacked out face? I don't know if you could film anything legally, or without incriminating yourself or another driver. You could certainly do a powerpoint style presentation, with a voiceover, just show casing different facts, accidents, incidents, etc. A guy at my former employment working in law enforcement did something similar. He came out with a newsletter every month exposing the varying levels of favoritism, nepotism, etc. and the management went insane, threatening discipline for anyone involved. Of course he had some moles on different shifts, as well as someone in lower management (yours truly) that helped feed him info. It was semi effective in eliminating some of the favoritism, and it was very entertaining. The newsletters mysteriously found themselves into lockers, onto desks, and onto telephone poles around town.