A Repeat of 1997

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
I feel the same, and yes I was on the picket line in 97. Let's talk about the difference between now and then. UPS is better positioned to withstand a STRIKE, with well trained SCABS ( PVD) drivers we aren't moving as much of the nation's GDP vs 1997. Amazon is a material threat to UPS and can financially impair this company. Our new president can lock us out and we wouldn't be missed. So, it is smart to begin saving our money now for a prolonged work stoppage. Did your Dad share with you that our Union only gave us a 1 time 50.00 dollar payout during our 15 day strike. After that payout the UNION strike fund went broke; they owed us another 50.00 dollars that we never received.

With the possibility of the Central States being bailed out, massive stimulus money going to the Health Care industries and the increase of package revenue over the internet due to this pandemic. Remember that this will be Carol’s first run with a Collective Bargaining agreement, also she is getting rid of most of the old guard who were involved with the 1997 fiasco.

Why would she force a “lock out”?

Remember that Hoffa is out, they will be dealing with a whole new Negotiation team. I do not see any potential major issues now from both sides that would any cause any work stoppages with the next contract coming up in two years.

UPS would be far more crippled by a strike today than 1997. Again Fed X, the Postal Service and even Amazon could not handle the shipping volume, it would effect the national economy even worst than the “97” one.

Another factor is the publicity over a nationwide strike would be beyond belief.. The Feds would have to get involved...and start snooping around in everybody’s dirty business on both sides. Hell..they just gave the parties involved over 83 billion dollars to shore up and help their pension trusts/plans..

It ain’t going to happen...

Another thing .. all these SCAB’s that you are worried about crossing a picket line is a delusion. First of all the economy is kicking in and anybody capable enough to work a semi or run a route will already have a job, the liability issues of hiring a person off the street, particularly if they are willing to risk physical harm by crossing a picket line wound be the company’s worst nightmare.

They would be morally and mentally the worst people you could hire. And be labeled SCABS for the rest of their lives, and no one respects a turncoat or traitor..

Last edited:

UPSER1987

Is a repeat of 1997 ever possible again? I was in high school when my dad went on strike in '97, and I will never forget the pride he felt standing up to this company. The membership was involved, united, and brought UPS to its knees. Good memories indeed. If UPS brings its typical scumbaggery to the negotiating table during upcoming contract negotiations, will the current membership have the unity, critical thinking skills, and fortitude to vote to strike if necessary? I'm not optimistic. The IBT is a shell of what it once was. Fear, apathy, and selfishness have polluted the ranks. I'm putting money away and will vote "no" if the contract is trash. If another "best contract ever" is pushed through, the dominoes will begin to fall, in my humble opinion, and the decline will accelerate.
Lol that’s some great parenting by the dad there. Dad is miserable and passes it down to kid- generations of miserable. Life at UPS is so miserable kid but sign up! Monkey see, monkey do.

quad decade guy

I think you need to do a bit more "research ".

Legit?
Last time I checked our pension admins made $650,000 a year to run a failing pension. And yes, amazing how many are former Union officials or family.

It's not exactly a secret.
Bingo!

Bravo!

His response was so naive as to be laughable(with all respect).

Simply put: The Union wants desperately to hold on to the Pension for one reason........MONEY! Fees, kickbacks on and on.

It is their billions worth honey pot.

Think about it.....they can "steer" those funds into ANY "investment"....such as Enron.

No? Please....

PT Car Washer

I feel the same, and yes I was on the picket line in 97. Let's talk about the difference between now and then. UPS is better positioned to withstand a STRIKE, with well trained SCABS ( PVD) drivers we aren't moving as much of the nation's GDP vs 1997. Amazon is a material threat to UPS and can financially impair this company. Our new president can lock us out and we wouldn't be missed. So, it is smart to begin saving our money now for a prolonged work stoppage. Did your Dad share with you that our Union only gave us a 1 time 50.00 dollar payout during our 15 day strike. After that payout the UNION strike fund went broke; they owed us another 50.00 dollars that we never received.
I never received a $50 strike check. Union said it went towards dues that month.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Ok. Fair enough.

So, the Union still have their hands in the pensions....some(few) are jointly administered or some such.....ok.

And the result is......?

Failure or imminent failure.

My fear/concern: Union control=failure. Company control=failure(through bankruptcy or similar vehicles).

That's why I'd prefer almost any lump sum buyout. Within a fair reasonable amount.

with all that money you could buy another car or airplane
To hell with saving for retirement

Seymour Packages

Lol that’s some great parenting by the dad there. Dad is miserable and passes it down to kid- generations of miserable. Life at UPS is so miserable kid but sign up! Monkey see, monkey do.
Miserable? My father makes more retired than some people make sweating all month. We didn't want for anything growing up. The union benefits and above average salary the IBT negotiated gave my brothers and I a very good life. Now I am affording that same life to my children. With zero college debt. A CDL that my local helped me to obtain for free. I pay, on average, $0 and 0 cents for health insurance. This monkey will retire in 12 years, God willing, with no debt with my children's college savings plans fully funded. Great parenting, if you ask me.

With that said, UPS will always look out for UPS. Dishonesty is the culture. Intimidation is the culture. Scumbaggery is the culture. Hence the need for union protection. As I have stated before, nothing we enjoy as UPS employees is by the grace of UPS. Ask your management team about their pension, benefits, protections against intimidation, or production goals. I'll wait for you. Life is great at UPS because of the union. Period. All of us have a chance at a middle class life, we can't be harassed without consequence or fired at will.

But thanks for your input.

Seymour Packages

With the possibility of the Central States being bailed out, massive stimulus money going to the Health Care industries and the increase of package revenue over the internet due to this pandemic. Remember that this will be Carol’s first run with a Collective Bargaining agreement, also she is getting rid of most of the old guard who were involved with the 1997 fiasco.

Remember that Hoffa is out, they will be dealing with a whole new Negotiation team. I do not see any potential major issues now from both sides that would any cause any work stoppages with the next contract coming up in two years.

UPS would be far more crippled by a strike today than 1997. Again Fed X, the Postal Service and even Amazon could not handle the shipping volume, it would effect the national economy even worst than the “97” one.

Another factor is the publicity over a nationwide strike would be beyond belief.. The Feds would have to get involved...and start snooping around in everybody’s dirty business on both sides. Hell..they just gave the parties involved over 83 billion dollars to shore up and help their pension trusts/plans..

Another thing .. all these SCAB’s that you are worried about crossing a picket line is a delusion. First of all the economy is kicking in and anybody capable enough to work a semi or run a route will already have a job, the liability issues of hiring a person off the street, particularly if they are willing to risk physical harm by crossing a picket line wound be the company’s worst nightmare.

They would be morally and mentally the worst people you could hire. And be labeled SCABS for the rest of their lives, and no one respects a turncoat or traitor..
I agree. The volume would simply just sit. No one would be able to completely absorb the volume that passes through the UPS system on a daily basis. Amazon package delivery can't even get packages to the right apartment buildings on a block or park correctly let alone absorb more work. All the over dispatched volume would just sit. Fedex is drowning in it the same as us. PVDs wouldn't be a factor. I'm not worried about Susan making an impact in her minivan delivering envelopes and small boxes. A general strike would bring this company to its knees. It's in interest of both sides to produce a fair contract.

Jetboat1

As a part time employee when do I start driving cause you 40 buck an hour guys go on strike? If I can work my 20 hr a week I'm cool with it. 22.06 a hour three day work week health insurance golden.

As a part time employee when do I start driving cause you 40 buck an hour guys go on strike? If I can work my 20 hr a week I'm cool with it. 22.06 a hour three day work week health insurance golden.
tenor (1) (12).gif

Whereistheunion

If we were to STRIKE your insinuating that you would cross the picket line and work. There wouldn't be anyone to train you, all of management would be working beside you. From my memory, those who crossed the line were stripped of union benefits and ( virtually stoned) as the crossed the line. IF we strike I suggest you walk 🚶‍♂️with us. Don't be a SCAB, that's the universal name for doing bargaining unionized work during a work stoppage.

Whereistheunion

This is a GIG economy, Uber, lyft, doordash and ( PVD ) It's not far fetched to believe that we can't be quickly replaced, considering residential volume B2C makes up 70% of our work. She just sold UPS freight, or as I see it dumped the UNION and UPS pension liability in 2023 for UPS freight. She is decisive; if it saves UPS money she is shooting for the stars. IN the endgame you have a positive outlook, which is good. But I'm preparing my bank acct for a long term work stoppage in 2023.

Seymour Packages

This is a GIG economy, Uber, lyft, doordash and ( PVD ) It's not far fetched to believe that we can't be quickly replaced, considering residential volume B2C makes up 70% of our work. She just sold UPS freight, or as I see it dumped the UNION and UPS pension liability in 2023 for UPS freight. She is decisive; if it saves UPS money she is shooting for the stars. IN the endgame you have a positive outlook, which is good. But I'm preparing my bank acct for a long term work stoppage in 2023.

How long would it take UPS to recruit and train our replacements? A week? 2 weeks? While 99% of its volume just sat. No feeders. No load/unload. No last mile package delivery. Let's just say 2 weeks to have enough bodies to move 50% of volume inefficiently. The damage done to the US economy and this company would be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Share price would plummet. It would be a nightmare and a PR black eye. Carol is all about image. Trust me, they don't want a strike.

How long would it take UPS to recruit and train our replacements? A week? 2 weeks? While 99% of its volume just sat. No feeders. No load/unload. No last mile package delivery. Let's just say 2 weeks to have enough bodies to move 50% of volume inefficiently. The damage done to the US economy and this company would be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Share price would plummet. It would be a nightmare and a PR black eye. Carol is all about image. Trust me, they don't want a strike.
and lose all that critical care business which makes our company top dollar to FedEx...

5.62 minutes. Download their EDD and show them the package car.

Seymour Packages

A
5.62 minutes. Download their EDD and show them the package car.
And overnight 100+ years of professionalism and service would be gone. You know what you get when you rush to hire anyone and provide shoddy training? Amazon. Or UPS peak employees. Service failures, missed packages, accidents, injuries, people walking off the job, theft, etc would skyrocket. Accounts would jump ship left and right. That would single handedly turn the most respected name in logistics into a dumpster fire for all to see via Ring doorbell cameras, cell phone video, and the 5 oclock news.

Whereistheunion

Forgive me for not remembering the last time a full timer gave a rats 🐀 putut for us part time employees. Cause it never happens! Poop on us part trimmers than demand that we strike to save your job I think not
Please stop seeing the situation as part time vs full time we are teamsters all the time. I was a huge advocate for part timers because I spent 16yrs part time. I've been full time for 10yrs now After so many long days and poor load quality due to them I have become resentful of part timers who don't care about their job. Those that show me they care about their work, I give my preloader a nice gift card every Christmas. I also thank them for the work that they do.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

And do not forget the Pilot’s Union..Their members were manning the picket lines in “97”and were not flying.

The AFL-CIO and every major Union in America were involved also.

If a strike does occur..nothing will move... period!

Last edited:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Forgive me for not remembering the last time a full timer gave a rats 🐀 putut for us part time employees. Cause it never happens! Poop on us part trimmers than demand that we strike to save your job I think not

stand up for yourselves nobody else is going to