address corections??

P

pd109

Hey dannyboy,I guess we do do things differently up here.In my area the customer can call right up until 6:30 pm for an oncall pickup,and an oncall is also called an on demand pickup,never mind this "consider anything after 12:00pm as for the next day",not so my friend,I often get 4 or 5 of them between 6:15 and 6:30 PM.,and I honestly doubt that every driver down there does his job without getting pissed every now and then.So there.

D

dannyboy

Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Here in the states you better call early to get one scheduled, otherwise you are told it will be the next day. Not all but many drivers are headed in at 6:30, so it would be tough to make an on call at that time. I would say that in larger metro areas things are a bit different.

As for drivers down here being pissed, sure. We are all human. But to demand from the customer special consideration or as you stated, appologise at the very least (I`d be apologetic to him at the least), because you feel a bit put out? Give me a break. Its part of the job. And you will always have customers that wait until the last minute to try and send one out, even though it has been on their desk ready to go all day. It is the nature of the beast.

So maybe it would be you that would need to appologise to the customer for your attitude, not the customer to you for shipping with UPS.

d

P

pd109

My point was that the cutoff time for a same day pickup is 6:30 pm here.I am not allowed to leave my area until then.As far as my attitude goes,I often go out of my way to help all of my pickup accounts and they all know that I often work 12 hours a day.All I ask from them is the same respect that I give them,and that waiting until 6:15 PM to schedule a pickup is not something they should do on a regular basis.My comments about them apologizing(and about season tickets)was more tongue in cheek than anything.As a matter of fact,tickets to any event would be useless to me because I`d catch maybe the last 15 minutes of the game if it was during the week.

U

upsdude

6:00 PM is the cut off here (SE Virginia) for On-Calls. Its not unusual for me to get one after 6:00 though. Mainly because the OMS will sit on them and send 3-4 at a time.

B

blkcloud

Mr. Celver you know i actually did come here to get a answer since no one else would help me..but instead i got the feeing that i get from most upsers.. NOT all but most upsers i deal with..which is..
I work for UPS,I'm in the union,I'm smarted than you are,I'll never lose my job,I make more than you do,I could care less if the box get thrown around or not,I wont make any more at the end of the week by doing a little extra..
I think you know what I mean..

R

racerx

Blkcloud, I would like to help I posted some questions about 12 posts down. If you are still struggling with the pick up issue, let me know and we can see if you can cut your daily pick up..

Help me help you.

F

feederdude

racerx,
I don't think Blkcloud,aka ezralive,Monte, is looking for any resolve to this issue.
This person is just looking to slam UPS. At NO time have we seen any negative Fred-ex comments.
One thought blkcoud.......Go away.
Feederdude

O

ok2bclever

Yep, I know what you mean cloud.

You are unhappy with UPS and apparently jealous of what it's workers make per the "I make more than you do" comment and decided to rip us on the faceless net.
"I'm in the union,I'm smarted than you are,I'll never lose my job,I make more than you do,I could care less if the box get thrown around or not,I wont make any more at the end of the week by doing a little extra."

No one responded here with any reference to the union, nor about our intelligence, nor anything about job security, nor regarding wage, nor lack of attitude about damages, nor about personal effort versus monetary gain.

Not one attempting to help you on this forum got a dime for trying.

So you are wrong on all counts.

You obviously brought your bad attitude with you regarding our employees and company.

You have ignored or discounted every single attempt by all here to assist you.

You came here with a single intent and it wasn't for assistance.

Hope you find your silver lining.

D

dannyboy

Racer

Save your thoughts and enthusiasm for a real UPS customer that really wants help, not some freakshow wanna be whos only interest is to come in our chat and defecate and slam everyone before leaving.

By now it should be plain he is not who he claims to just about everyone?

BTW, Racer, how does UPS get by with doing three different rate adjustments on one package, and bill them out on three different times on three different reference numbers? A package that should have cost only $30.94 ended up at over 58 bucks by the time all the extras were charged.

d

R

racerx

Im not sure what you mean, Dannyboy. What type of rate adjustments were made? Were they weight or OS charges? Something else? If you can get a look at the bill and see what the names of the charges are, I can more than likely explain it..

D

dannyboy

I shipped a package via internet. Entered the weight, res delivery etc on a NDA package. Made sure it weighed only 6 pounds, and the box was 5X6X6 in size. The charges after the delivery area surcharge was 30.94.

The first surcharge was the delivery area surcharge which was already added to the bill to begin with. That added an additional .75 allong with a fuel surcharge of .24.

Then the second was a change from comercial to residential. That added a 1.75 charge to the bill. Interestingly it was checked off on the internet as a residential delivery to begin with.

The third adjustment was a weight correction to 15 pounds. This was really astonishing to me that the package put on that much wieght in that short a time. I weighed it on a digital scale, and when I dropped it off at the UPS store I asked them to weigh it also. Just a tad under 6 pounds there also. With an additional 1.18 fuel surcharge that added and additional 13.68 to the bill.

So now, after using UPS's own website to ship a package and entering all the information correctly and paying 30.94 at the time of shipment, I get three additional corrections raising the total to 47.36. That is a 50% higher cost than what the charged cost was to begin with.

I have called the 800 number several times trying to get this mess figured out and with all the phoney explinations it ends up being more convoluted then it was.

As a side note, the next day air letter I sent to california that UPS lost back in april and just now found the check? I got two corrections on it. Funny, they can make sure to charge more for your shipment and make sure you get the bill, but yet lose the package. And when the insurance paid, all they would pay is the cost of the stop pay. No reimbursement on the shipping or replacement costs of the check.

Seems like I remember Ups stating that their cost to cut a new check for payroll was $60, but yet they do not want to pay to have a company cut a new check.

Now, I am ...er... was a UPS driver. If customers get this kind of run around and billing upcharges, is it any wonder why other companies are gaining ground on us?

d

R

racerx

Wow, danny.. I dont have an explanation on this one. Was your package going to zone 3? The On Demand NDA rate for that is $27.00 even. If you add the $1.75 residential charge and the $1.25 extended area surcharge, that brings the charges to $30.00. I dont know when you shipped it, so I dont know exactly what the fuel surcharge was at, but $.94 puts it around 3%, so that sounds right. If they weight corrected your shipment to 15 pounds, then that should put your shipment costs at $43.78 ($39.50 for a 15 lb, zone 3 NDA package, $1.75 residential charge, $1.25 delivery area surcharge, and $1.28 fuel surcharge at 3%). So how we charged you $47.36 baffles me

What did the 800 PICK UPS number tell you about the reweigh?

Do you still have the tracking number?

B

blkcloud

hehe..thats why i put the NOT ALL in my response..some of you guys really do want to help..you want me to slam fed x??ok..i sign up with them about 2 years ago,but could never get the user agreement to download onto my computer..after about 2 hrs on the phone they sent a tech guy out..he came twice and could never get it to authorize either..then he just gave up..i emailed them and told them that if i were bass pro shops, finger hut or george foreman that i bet someone from their company would get my computer to authorize the agreement..never go a reply..
thanks racerx..i have just finally given up on my small residental shipping with ups..all i wanted to know was why i get the charge for a address correction when its not my fault..ie..someone mails me a check with the return address enclosed..i ship it there and then get a 5.00 charge for a wrong address..i have done nothing wrong but have been charged for it..i think ups should do as the postal system does and collect it from the receiver not the shipper...

B

blkcloud

question.. how much do the drivers get (if any) compensated for a address correction??I had one driver tell me that they were told to do everything they could to increase the cost of the package..He has delivered to me for years and I have no reason to think he is not truthful..

D

dannyboy

WE do not get paid anything for an address correction. The driver does it only because he is instructed to do so.

The way upper management refers to them is revenue enhancements.

Racer, basicly when I asked about the weight issue I was told tough stuff. The charge stays. Even though I and the clerk at the UPS store both weighed it and came up with a bit less than 6 pounds.

As to all the other charges, I think I will dispute it with the credit card company and let them duke it out with UPS.

As a practical matter, I have seen the clerks that measure package for OS set them up and measure them wrong. That way they can make their quota and keep their job.

d

R

racerx

Blkcloud, Im sorry to hear that you have decided to go with the USPS. But, if insurance, trackablity, and day-definite guaranteed shipping is not needed for the majority of your shipments, then it would make more sense to use the post office. But be careful! Believe it or not, our rates beat the pants off of the post office once you get much above 5 pounds, so segmenting your shipments between UPS and the USPS based on weight would be the way to go.

As for address corrections, they are an unfortunate consequence of the shipping business. And yes, I understand where it would seem like it would make more sense for us to go after the consignee (receiver) for any address correction, but they are not truly a UPS customer for this shipment. What I mean is that you and UPS have entered into a business agreement we promise to deliver a package where you tell us to, and you promise to pay for that service. The consignee has nothing to do with that. So, we really have no basis to request payment from him (unless you are sending a package COD, and for that we have entered into an entirely separate agreement with different parameters). But believe me; I understand what kinds of problems accessorial charges cause to our customers. You, as well as 99% of UPS shippers, cannot go back and bill your customers for their errors to get reimbursement for what we charge you after you receive initial payment. And that totally erodes your profit margin. So if you sell your product for $25 and have a 10% margin, you are losing $2.50 a shipment when you get hit with an address correction instead of making $2.50 in profit. And I am sure that is not why you went into business!!!

I know you are not using UPS for most of your shipments now, but let me suggest to you what I would suggest if I was your AE add an additional amount to what you charge for shipping to help offset your accessorial charges. For customers receiving discounts, I would suggest charging UPS list rates and then using the difference to pay for the accessorial charges that you will undoubtedly be receiving. If a customer was not getting a discount from us, I would suggest a nominal flat fee or percentage of the shipping charges. You know how on TV commercials they say add $10 for SHIPPING and HANDLING? Well, the difference in what you are charged by UPS and what you charge your customer is your handling fee.

Hope this helps

R

racerx

Danny, as far as the revenue auditors go(those who measure for OS), they are going the way of the Dodo bird. At Worldport, all the weight and dimension corrections are done by a machine using lasers. These machines will find their way into our ground sorting facilities soon, thereby taking the human element totally out of the equation. But unfortunately, mistakes can still be made

F

feederdude

blkcloud,
Unlike racerx, I am happy to hear that you are going to the USPS. I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms. Bye Bye.
Feederdude