Air Driver positions getting replaced by 22.4s?

Utility81

Sooo... My understanding heis that the reason they build routes with OT is that it's cheaper to pay OT than pay regular rate plus the "wage burden" money for bennies like workman's comp, health and welfare $, pension contributions, etc., which all based on an 8 hour day. When they pay the OT it is cheaper than regular pay + the burden. Still not making sense. Not every driver is on the 9.5 list.
95% of my center is on the list. Made $3k less in 2019 compared to 2018. I’m loving my 42 hour work week.

air_dr

I think Air Driving is going to come to an end. I am not sure when but we have a lot of air drivers in our building who are just like you and very worried. Not sure when or how the company plans to phase it out. They can basically use 22.4's however they see fit. So you may just do EAM's and go home. Only time will tell.
In what general geographic area do you work?

The reason I ask is because what may work well and benefit the company in one area may not work well in another area and therefore not even be under consideration in that other area.

PT Car Washer

In what general geographic area do you work?

The reason I ask is because what may work well and benefit the company in one area may not work well in another area and therefore not even be under consideration in that other area.
PT air drivers in my building give management a lot of flexibility on staffing issues.

PeakMode

Arrive Peak Leave
Its possible. More so TCD replacements cause they will be alot of layoff friend they bring too many 22.4s on at once and the volume doesn't hit like it supposed on Saturdays.

Last edited:

Method Mensch

Well, I wanted to revisit this old post and update it. In my building, we've had half our air crew go 22.4. To a one, they've all been reporting to me that they're unhappy about it. I'm still a part time Air Driver, and thanks to the covid crisis ("Peak II"), I've been working 50-60 hours a week. Not sure what the future will bring, but right now, stashing the $ away. I'm guessing it's the same across most centers.

PT Car Washer

Well, I wanted to revisit this old post and update it. In my building, we've had half our air crew go 22.4. To a one, they've all been reporting to me that they're unhappy about it. I'm still a part time Air Driver, and thanks to the covid crisis ("Peak II"), I've been working 50-60 hours a week. Not sure what the future will bring, but right now, stashing the $ away. I'm guessing it's the same across most centers.
Since the Covid crisis our air drivers are making bank again and it is not heavy vacation season yet. Prior to the crisis they were starving and only working the minimum 3 hours or less and definitely no ground work. Most of our 22.3 air routes were cut and are still out but they are working max hours doing ground deliveries. Air driving has always been a feast or famine job. Enjoy the money while it is available, just don't go up grading your lifestyle and expect to pay for it with future earnings.

PizzaToUps

Since the Covid crisis our air drivers are making bank again and it is not heavy vacation season yet. Prior to the crisis they were starving and only working the minimum 3 hours or less and definitely no ground work. Most of our 22.3 air routes were cut and are still out but they are working max hours doing ground deliveries. Air driving has always been a feast or famine job. Enjoy the money while it is available, just don't go up grading your lifestyle and expect to pay for it with future earnings.

Why were the 22.3 air jobs cut? They are thriving at my hub

PT Car Washer

Why were the 22.3 air jobs cut? They are thriving at my hub
Have not really cut the 22.3 air driver jobs. Just cut the routes out and have the 22.4 drivers deliver the air with their ground routes. I heard it came from higher management. Told the 22.3 drivers that after the preload they could either go home or do something around the building to get their 8 hours. Of course that has all changed now. All air drivers are running ground routes.