Air Driver positions getting replaced by 22.4s?

Method Mensch

Air driving in my buidling is basically a bid job for part timers. Pretty sure they can eliminate the position. If they do those drivers would go back inside the building and get paid there inside rate.
Management can eliminate the Air Driver position if they want to. Whether they will or not is the ass of a different horse. The latest we've been hearing from Management is that they'll likely keep an Air route or two per Center, but cut Air Driver positions. They're encouraging current Air Drivers to switch over to the 22.4 position. They've been going back and forth over whether or not they're going to waive the 21 day bid procedure or require it. Your pay would be red circled at your current Air rate. If Air Driver slot is eliminated and you do not want to go full time, you get to bump any part time slot inside that your seniority will get you. If you're inside, you would not be red circled at your Air rate. You would get the equivalent of what you would be making had you remained inside ( inside rate). For the Air Drivers in my building, that would be a about a $10 to $15 pay cut and likely a crappy shift, to boot.

PT Car Washer

Management can eliminate the Air Driver position if they want to. Whether they will or not is the ass of a different horse. The latest we've been hearing from Management is that they'll likely keep an Air route or two per Center, but cut Air Driver positions. They're encouraging current Air Drivers to switch over to the 22.4 position. They've been going back and forth over whether or not they're going to waive the 21 day bid procedure or require it. Your pay would be red circled at your current Air rate. If Air Driver slot is eliminated and you do not want to go full time, you get to bump any part time slot inside that your seniority will get you. If you're inside, you would not be red circled at your Air rate. You would get the equivalent of what you would be making had you remained inside ( inside rate). For the Air Drivers in my building, that would be a about a $10 to $15 pay cut and likely a crappy shift, to boot.
Air driving has always been a crap shoot. Some weeks you can work 40+ hours at top driver rate or you can go months working less then 20 hours at air rate.

PT Car Washer

Any talk of eliminating air drivers in your building @PTCarWasher?
Not yet. We have about 4 PT PM air routes, a couple of 22.3 PM routes. 5 or 6 PT EAM routes that are Tuesday tru Saturday. Maybe 8 or 9 22.3 preload/air drivers. So far everyone is working but the EAM guys are slowly starving with 3 hours most days. I worked a few extra hours last Wednesday shuttling air out to the drivers but mostly letting EAM guys have the extra work when available. Still have car wash job to fall back on.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Same in my building. Some of them have made a life air driving for a couple of decades now. Can't imagine they would flip their whole life around to go fulltime right before they retire.

Some guys have been riding that air driver gravy train for years. Over 25 years for myself. Hard to lower yourself to FT.

air_dr

I am a PM air driver and basically like my job just the way it is, so this thread is of special interest to me.

Anyway, I am in the upper Midwest, Great Lakes area, Central time zone, and I have heard nothing from local management at the hub about part time air drivers being eliminated, so I really would like to know in what general geographic area this PT air driver replacement has been taking place?

Method Mensch

I am a PM air driver and basically like my job just the way it is, so this thread is of special interest to me.

Anyway, I am in the upper Midwest, Great Lakes area, Central time zone, and I have heard nothing from local management at the hub about part time air drivers being eliminated, so I really would like to know in what general geographic area this PT air driver replacement has been taking place?
I'm in New England.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I think Air Driving is going to come to an end. I am not sure when but we have a lot of air drivers in our building who are just like you and very worried. Not sure when or how the company plans to phase it out. They can basically use 22.4's however they see fit. So you may just do EAM's and go home. Only time will tell.

Method Mensch

I think Air Driving is going to come to an end. I am not sure when but we have a lot of air drivers in our building who are just like you and very worried. Not sure when or how the company plans to phase it out. They can basically use 22.4's however they see fit. So you may just do EAM's and go home. Only time will tell.
We have a 3 1/2 hour guarantee in New England.