Already laughing At Peak

STFXG

My terminal has never ran temps during peak. Why would they? They shouldn't have to be a crutch for contractors that fail to prepare.

Bounty

So you agree there needs to be some minimum standard to prevent criminals from joining the ranks and driving under the FedEx operating authority. Glad we cleared that up.
If it's "my business" I should be the one implementing the standards of my employees and deciding who drives my trucks. That's if it's really my business.

bacha29

STFXG and IWBF. In defense of a company to which you are totally subjugated you keep sidestepping the whole point.and that is X's complete control over who will drive a truck it doesn't own. This is a clear testament to the fact that what little the contractor has control over is so petty and inconsequential compared to the overall scheme of things that he simply does not warrant the title independent contractor. And Mr. STFXG and this is coming from the top .Last years peak season X deployed 50% fewer temp agency company paid personel then the previous year and this coming year the remaining 50% will be cut by another 50% and by peak season 2016 they won't be around at all. Then the handfull of qualified willing to come in and work a few weeks during peak and then are simply disposed of will quickly realize that they are in the catbird seat and will demand top dollar.

STFXG

First off... I agree with you that we should be able to hire who we want. I've said that plenty of times on here.

Second. If you are independent you shouldn't need help from fedex.

Finally. Seasonals have never been a problem to find. At least in my state. Any state with winter conditions really. Plenty of folks out there that don't have work during the winter months that love coming in for 6-8 weeks. We have a couple local companies here that actually refer their employees to us for them to have something to do.

Bounty

First off... I agree with you that we should be able to hire who we want. I've said that plenty of times on here.

Finally. Seasonals have never been a problem to find. At least in my state. Any state with winter conditions really. Plenty of folks out there that don't have work during the winter months that love coming in for 6-8 weeks. We have a couple local companies here that actually refer their employees to us for them to have something to do.
I finally agree with you, but doesn't the first point that x is once again stepping over the employee/contractor line?

bacha29

Right on guys. This is when you start. This when you stop. This is what you drive. This is where you go . This is how you do it.Etc,etc. But rmember these are simply as X claims there are , are merely "suggestions" Just like all the risks, liability and variable costs they shove off onto you are also "suggestions".

STFXG

I finally agree with you, but doesn't the first point that x is once again stepping over the employee/contractor line?
I believe they are. We should be able to hire and train our drivers the way we want to. The only limitation they should place on us is a clean background check (which we provide).

The ELDP is crap. We shouldn't need approval for how we train our own entry level drivers. We should have to face the repercussions of increased accidents if we have poor training or inexperienced drivers.

It's too much control, but it is what it is.

bacha29

Poorly trained inexperienced drivers. That's exactly what they're handing you. Regardless of the matter or issue remember, they know more about this than you do. After all they went to college.

dex 84

Are you really better off working for ground than just collecting during the layoff season? Unless you're getting paid cash under the table I can't see it being worth the aggravation...

bacha29

In my neck of the woods they work in the woods. When the snow comes that hunting season. draw some U.C. grab your bow or your gun . L.ast thing on their minds is some little X contractor with boxes piled up 8 feet high on each side of the truck and a TM threatening him with termination. Same with guys on the rigs and the strippings. They don't need the money and they just want to relax and enjoy the season. How can you blame them?

Bounty

I believe they are. We should be able to hire and train our drivers the way we want to. The only limitation they should place on us is a clean background check (which we provide).

The ELDP is crap. We shouldn't need approval for how we train our own entry level drivers. We should have to face the repercussions of increased accidents if we have poor training or inexperienced drivers.

These are the problems x will have when it comes to defending the scam. X can not cherry pick which contracting rules they are going to break.

It will be fine

The background is pretty much all that's left. I've never had a serious issue getting previous experience verified, especially now that they are lax on the weight requirements. Any professional driving will do. Not many people with no driving experience are looking for driving jobs.
The ELDP is what you make it. You make your own curriculum. FedEx just has to approve it meets their minimum requirements. It's nice to have that avenue available again.
I can't remember having a candidate I couldn't get through the system, some just take longer than others.

Bounty

The background is pretty much all that's left. I've never had a serious issue getting previous experience verified, especially now that they are lax on the weight requirements. Any professional driving will do. Not many people with no driving experience are looking for driving jobs.
The ELDP is what you make it. You make your own curriculum. FedEx just has to approve it meets their minimum requirements. It's nice to have that avenue available again.
I can't remember having a candidate I couldn't get through the system, some just take longer than others.
There is no way you are just a contractor, nobody is as loyal to x as you. Smith says the moon is made of cheese and you agree. You make me vomit, it's ok to think for yourself. I think you are a fedex lawyer, or the best lap dog ever.

bacha29

I'm glad to hear that IWBF because when the last of the company paid temps are out the door for the final time you'll have to keep a stable full of people standing by willing to answer to your every beck and call. Your fortunate if you have that luxury but don't assume that it exists everywhere.

It will be fine

There is no way you are just a contractor, nobody is as loyal to x as you. Smith says the moon is made of cheese and you agree. You make me vomit, it's ok to think for yourself. I think you are a fedex lawyer, or the best lap dog ever.
I have plenty of issues with FedEx. This just isn't one of them. It's a stupid argument, your position is weak. You cry about how much control they have over your drivers, but you've never hired a driver. It's nonsense, how do you complain about a system you've never used? I've hired a lot of drivers, it's not that hard to get them approved. I've stated before a motor carrier has the right to determine standards for drivers operating under their authority. What is so hard to understand about that?

Bounty

I have plenty of issues with FedEx. This just isn't one of them. It's a stupid argument, your position is weak. You cry about how much control they have over your drivers, but you've never hired a driver. It's nonsense, how do you complain about a system you've never used? I've hired a lot of drivers, it's not that hard to get them approved. I've stated before a motor carrier has the right to determine standards for drivers operating under their authority. What is so hard to understand about that?
I've hired drivers, the ones x told me were ok to hire, not the ones I wanted to hire. How come they are paying for the background checks? Shouldn't you pay for them? Why do they have the right to check how I pay my workforce? Can you give an example of one of your issues with x?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If it's "my business" I should be the one implementing the standards of my employees and deciding who drives my trucks. That's if it's really my business.

But it isn't their business. You make some excellent points, and please notice that Sammy isn't doing much to refute them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Are you Dano Jr.? Seriously, dude. You're up there in the major apologist stratosphere, where only major shills dare to fly.

bbsam

Staff member
But it isn't their business. You make some excellent points, and please notice that Sammy isn't doing much to refute them.
That's easy. And it's as easy as what you like to use as your refrain: "degree of control". It's a vague phrase of of the law and open to interpretation.

Yes. X is using the law to their advantage. It's why Trump has bankrupted businesses and Romney bought and closed businesses. It's why Clinton shrugged off concerns about Whitewater and why campaign finance reform is ALWAYS a farce. For all our talk of being a nation of laws, for the most part, they are an inconvenience. There is always gray area and in the case of contract law, the gray area is massive and lucrative.