amazon and saturdays?

dudebro

Amazon needs to go choke on a sock. We're a delivery business, not a retailer. We're not here to cater to the whims of spoiled, whiny 9-4:30/Mon-Fri people.
Increasingly, I would submit to you that we are changing from a shipper focused company to a consignee focused company, and those whims are EXACTLY what we're here to cater to, if we want to stay in business.

brown metal coffin

Here is what I know... It isn't much but it is something. Last month when one of our drivers who is on the safety committee went to the safety summit in buffalo last month; the speaker mentioned that within 3 years we will be driving 6 days a week because the market is shifting and increasingly calling for it. The room went quiet when he said that; but he definitely left the impression that he had more information that what he shared. He also said that we will most likely be at 6 days a week through peak this year. How that works with the 60 rule:confused: Your guess is as good as mine...

SmithBarney

here at FDX we've lost a TON of Amazon freight on SAT, used to be almost 90% of our SAT volume, now we've cut half of our routes. Never heard anything official regarding it, just rumors about FDX never agreeing to carry so much.

35years

Gravy route
. He also said that we will most likely be at 6 days a week through peak this year. How that works with the 60 rule:confused: Your guess is as good as mine...
-Force from the bottom up.
- Drivers will intentionally run out of hours early, production takes a MAJOR hit. Lots of Saturday call-ins.
- If that actually plays out, make sure you take your full break everyday on area...not after returning to the bldg.

35years

Gravy route
Here is what I know... It isn't much but it is something. Last month when one of our drivers who is on the safety committee went to the safety summit in buffalo last month; the speaker mentioned that within 3 years we will be driving 6 days a week because the market is shifting and increasingly calling for it. The room went quiet when he said that; but he definitely left the impression that he had more information that what he shared. He also said that we will most likely be at 6 days a week through peak this year. How that works with the 60 rule:confused: Your guess is as good as mine...
Realize that safety committee drivers are often buffoons who do the bidding of management (knowingly or unknowingly).
If UPS is trying to spoon feed divers the idea that Saturday work is inevitable, then using safety yes men to spread the rumor fits the m.o.
Rumors; so many regional and local supplements will have to be addressed.

Overpaid Union Thug

This lines up with what a previous poster said. They were told we'd be on 6 days within six months.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
-Force from the bottom up.
- Drivers will intentionally run out of hours early, production takes a MAJOR hit. Lots of Saturday call-ins.
- If that actually plays out, make sure you take your full break everyday on area...not after returning to the bldg.
What does break have to do with anything?

dudebro

Yeah when I heard that time frame my immediate thought was well I could see 6 days for peak.
We're doing that in some districts already. Think of it this way. When you see the hubs around you start working 6 and 7 days to keep up with demand, how can we do that and still work the drivers delivering the stuff only 5? The math doesn't add up, and helpers don't quite get us there.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We're doing that in some districts already. Think of it this way. When you see the hubs around you start working 6 and 7 days to keep up with demand, how can we do that and still work the drivers delivering the stuff only 5? The math doesn't add up, and helpers don't quite get us there.
It obviously depends on your area but my building hasn't had any trouble with peak. In fact I've been offered a lot of days off the last 2 peaks.

nystripe96

I don't foresee route drivers with seniority being forced in on Saturday's in my center. Possibly cover drivers or seasonal/PT'ers to fill the void if necessary. Weekends off are crucial not only to me but I'd imagine the vast majority of union members