Amazon is taking over... maybe not.

Whither

Scofflaw
I hire former Amazon drivers all the time. They all say Amazon is a disorganized unprofessional mess. They prefer my organization.

Very true re: Amazon. And generally we're treated one and all like toddlers. But I wouldn't trade superior pay and benefits/easier work for the marginal perks of superior organization/harder work.

It will be fine

If you're hiring all the time it sounds like you get a lot of turnover yourself.
It’s called growth. Ground HD grows at 15-20% per year not including the smartpost volume. And yes there’s a lot of labor mobility now, I’ve had several guys leverage the driving experience they got with me into higher paying jobs elsewhere.

It will be fine

Very true re: Amazon. And generally we're treated one and all like toddlers. But I wouldn't trade superior pay and benefits/easier work for the marginal perks of superior organization/harder work.
You don’t have superior pay at Amazon. The last Amazon guy I hired says my route is much easier than what he was doing there. It’s better working out of a step van and in the same area everyday.

Whither

Scofflaw
You don’t have superior pay at Amazon. The last Amazon guy I hired says my route is much easier than what he was doing there. It’s better working out of a step van and in the same area everyday.

Ha. I see Ground contractors offering $120-150/day max. No OT and only ever seen a couple ads that said a word re: bennies. I'm dispatched an odd route once or twice a week at most.

Sure, step vans are easier to work out of -- if they're loaded properly, e.g., the aisle isn't jammed w pkgs. No one thinks they're easier to drive than sprinters.

It will be fine

Ha. I see Ground contractors offering $120-150/day max. No OT and only ever seen a couple ads that said a word re: bennies. I'm dispatched an odd route once or twice a week at most.

Sure, step vans are easier to work out of -- if they're loaded properly, e.g., the aisle isn't jammed w pkgs. No one thinks they're easier to drive than sprinters.
My veterans make much more than that. They have to demonstrate their worth first. Starting pay is lower than where they end up if they’re good. I think step vans are easier to drive than sprinters, better visibility.

bacha29

Pay rate you've stated is about the norm. If you're lucky enough to be in an affluent, high density high per capita consumption metro area like IWBF he can pay more but if not it's another story. But the general rule amounts to matching the production of the average UPS driver for about 50-60% of what the UPS driver gets with minimal to zero benefits. Don't believe me? Go to the nationwide jobs boards ( indeed and others) and you'll see that pay is about what you're saying and the surprising fact is that no matter what part of the country or the cost of living in that area there is only about $100 a week difference.

bacha29

If you're hiring all the time it sounds like you get a lot of turnover yourself.
Three guys on every X Ground truck. One coming. one driving and one leaving. IWBF might just be one of the more reputable contractors around but XG is a NATIONWIDE carrier with wide variations in terms of demographics, population and strength of economy and as a result if you want to survive not profit but simply survive in a bad part of the country you practically have to give the guy everything the truck makes just to keep him in the cab.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
. It’s better working ...in the same area everyday.

So if Amazon DSPs wants to copy the FedEx model, they should also have zones/zipcode areas for their drivers to gain area knowledge and become acquainted with the customers and possible dog dangers.

I'm really stress free on my route once I load up my vehicle in stop order.

Whither

Scofflaw
It will be fine said:
My veterans make much more than that. They have to demonstrate their worth first. Starting pay is lower than where they end up if they’re good. I think step vans are easier to drive than sprinters, better visibility.

26' box trucks are my only point of comparison, obviously step vans are nimbler. I hope to learn you're right by cutting my teeth on those brown step vans for a starting wage of $21/hr.

Whither

Scofflaw
OrioN said:
So if Amazon DSPs wants to copy the FedEx model, they should also have zones/zipcode areas for their drivers to gain area knowledge and become acquainted with the customers and possible dog dangers.

In my experience this is generally the case. I'm dispatched to 'my' route 75 percent of the time. Dog dangers and other fine points wouldn't be much of an issue if Amazon enabled us to input delivery notes, or if they would lift a finger to do it for us once notified.

Usually (ha) I enjoy the challenge of running blind or with little experience. It's a skill-set I have to plan drawing on -- unlikely I'd get a regular route at UPS til I've 'demonstrated my worth'/gained some seniority. Obviously the days are smoother when you know the area.

OrioN

Yeah, express has eNotes, while ground drivers have to take it up to admin to enter stuff for a customer's stop; most don't bother... I yet to see the ground cloud iPad to do such thing

I also used to cover close to 70 different routes over the years, and area knowledge with a bid route trumps all that nonsense of driving blind.

OrioN

I'll sometimes text CPc directly at the delivery point since Mondays are my low-stop, high-mileage days...

sketch-1558315372750.png

So the admin staff can do this when there's nothing else to do besides watching YouTube videos during the day

zeev

Amzn is taking over X stock down to 159 from 200 after CNBC stooges told people to buy it.Who is selling? 3 months from now Fast Freddie will be shown as the seller of course who would know better. Who cares who does the final mile

bacha29

Amzn is taking over X stock down to 159 from 200 after CNBC stooges told people to buy it.Who is selling? 3 months from now Fast Freddie will be shown as the seller of course who would know better. Who cares who does the final mile
A little over a year ago it was at 275. Fat Freddy's getting his hat handed to him in Europe and Asia. Yes, all OPCO's are currently profitable to a certain degree but it looks like Ground is really going to be tasked with producing the margins needed for the stock to reach previous highs. As a result I can't see life getting any better for small scale, small terminal rural contractors as well as for the people who work for them .

zeev

A little over a year ago it was at 275. Fat Freddy's getting his hat handed to him in Europe and Asia. Yes, all OPCO's are currently profitable to a certain degree but it looks like Ground is really going to be tasked with producing the margins needed for the stock to reach previous highs. As a result I can't see life getting any better for small scale, small terminal rural contractors as well as for the people who work for them .
Freddy sold last year at this same time l think he is doing the same thing.