Amazon is taking over... maybe not.

Whither

Scofflaw
If you watched the entire video, you would see that he isn't being a productive member of society. His employer deserves an appropriate days work for the wages that were offered and accepted. Damaging company equipment out of frustration is counter-productive. The jerk doesn't deserve another minutes' compensation.

Does anyone else feel ready to lose their lunch when they hear the phrase 'productive member of society'? Look, I like delivery driving & I make a point of doing it well, but it's not because I hope to hear I'm a productive member of society.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Right. Since we've all had enjoyed many outstanding employment options & just decided to 'take one for the team' and get paid dog :censored2:. C'mon man.
Soooo, in your world, he was justified in chucking his powerpad and bouncing it off the bulkhead, just because HE misdelivered two packages and had to retrieve them?

No. He should have been terminated for destroying/abusing company property. Or better yet, be forced to replace it out of his own pocket.

Whither

Scofflaw
Soooo, in your world, he was justified in chucking his powerpad and bouncing it off the bulkhead, just because HE misdelivered two packages and had to retrieve them?

No. He should have been terminated for destroying/abusing company property. Or better yet, be forced to replace it out of his own pocket.

When people are stressed out, and 'willing' to accept poor pay and conditions because our oh so lovely world doesn't offer many decent options, it is not surprising that they occasionally snap.

You would like it at my Amazon contractor. Supposedly we're liable for up to $500 out of pocket for damages to company property. I accidentally drop the scanner maybe twice a week. Luckily they're pretty durable. But if it should break, I guess you'd celebrate that I might forfeit up to half or more of my check that week. That the company doesn't bother to issue the scanners with hand-straps to enable secure grip? No big deal, right: I guess I should provide my own? That I often enough get issued a van with low tire pressure warning, use my own gauge to check, and discover rear tires inflated at 20-40 psi (should be 80), and have to drive to the nearest gas station with a free compressor to air them up, because the company's too cheap to provide one? That some of our vans have bald front tires and management does nothing after we bring it to their attention?

Go ahead, tell me more how people are ingrates and don't realize how fortunate they are to be living check to check.

Whither

Scofflaw
At FedEx ground, we can rescan the barcode & apply a misdelivered box code DEX 017... then when at the correct GPS delivery point, apply DEX 018 to update everything on the tracking number

Apparently a BC er had an incompetent driver who didn't do this and was left guessing where his stuff was misplaced

grounds great service

This would be a godsend at Amazon. Their software is set up to treat us one and all like incompetent boobs who need permission/approval at every turn. And just the same we're expected to rattle off 180-200 stops in 7 hours (plus 1 hour of breaks) while making several calls to driver support. Occasionally I get stuck with 2 apartment complexes that aren't on my regular route. They'd be a breeze if I myself could fix the delivery pins -- usually half at the leasing office (but wo instructions from the cx to deliver to the leasing office, which means we are to attempt delivery at their door) -- or if the 'work-around' option for Amazon's tight-GPS fences actually worked. But no. Pretty much every time I have to waste an extra 30-45min or more on ~15 stops to do things the right way.

bacha29

When people are stressed out, and 'willing' to accept poor pay and conditions because our oh so lovely world doesn't offer many decent options, it is not surprising that they occasionally snap.

You would like it at my Amazon contractor. Supposedly we're liable for up to $500 out of pocket for damages to company property. I accidentally drop the scanner maybe twice a week. Luckily they're pretty durable. But if it should break, I guess you'd celebrate that I might forfeit up to half or more of my check that week. That the company doesn't bother to issue the scanners with hand-straps to enable secure grip? No big deal, right: I guess I should provide my own? That I often enough get issued a van with low tire pressure warning, use my own gauge to check, and discover rear tires inflated at 20-40 psi (should be 80), and have to drive to the nearest gas station with a free compressor to air them up, because the company's too cheap to provide one? That some of our vans have bald front tires and management does nothing after we bring it to their attention?

Go ahead, tell me more how people are ingrates and don't realize how fortunate they are to be living check to check.
Fred's time was spent in a delivery world that doesn't exist anymore. In the end you take what the economy will give you. In a service economy obsessed with cheap energy, technology and cheap labor opportunities for the average young American worker with average skills and education is likely to become fewer. While dragging around that Bezos junk much of which will end up in overflowing landfills the question becomes while you can do the job when you're 21 can you do the job when you're 61?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Justification for retaliation against a situation you DO have some control over is a crock. YOUR life choices bear directly on your situation. Study some history and you will see that oppressed people relocated to places that offered opportunity, and they prospered. Or, you can choose the LA method, and trash and burn where you live, then whine and complain about your lack of options.

Grow up.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

Well what a godsend...you now have the chance to let your abilities shine for yourself and potentially tens of employees. Go for it, bigshot.

Amazon to employees: We'll pay you to quit and haul packages

Whither

Scofflaw
Fred, you seem like the well-heeled kind of guy who never found it insulting to be a mere figure on the bottom line. On the brighter side: there's no need for us to worry about robots 'taking over' when people already act as if they were robots. Just pull the string and they spew out, verbatim, HR policies from the company handbook.

bacha29

Fred, you seem like the well-heeled kind of guy who never found it insulting to be a mere figure on the bottom line. On the brighter side: there's no need for us to worry about robots 'taking over' when people already act as if they were robots. Just pull the string and they spew out, verbatim, HR policies from the company handbook.
What you need to understand is that Fred is a guy who made waaaay too many trips to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy. They're easy to spot because after the numerous times they've been water boarded and electro shocked........they like it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Considering the state of the average Ground clown, my advice would be for them to stop doing crap that limits their options.

So,l I have an honest question. The drivers hired by Ground contractors, are they subpar because contractors are cheap and getting rich or is the company simply not paying contractors enough to compensate adequate drivers?

Of course I have my opinion, but I’m curious as to yours.
Good luck in getting a straight forward answer from Dano that isn't some canned/stock/talking in circles response that Memphis has taught him.

Whither

Scofflaw
What you need to understand is that Fred is a guy who made waaaay too many trips to the Fedex Mind Control and Reeducation Academy. They're easy to spot because after the numerous times they've been water boarded and electro shocked........they like it.

Several of my coworkers at Amazon are proud of the fact that they don't take their breaks and loudly treat every day as a race for bragging rights re: who finishes the earliest. One of them is in his early 50s ha. Another told me his breaks are his "drive time" between stops. Somebody should alert trucking and bus-driving companies: driving a heavy vehicle for commercial purposes isn't work but a goddam vacation. Sometimes I say: good job boys, at our OT rate you're donating $23 each shift to the company! And man, you'll really be proud when you fall and injure yourself running. And proudest of all when you hit a child speeding in resi neighborhoods and do a bid for vehicular manslaughter!

That's serious dedication in delivering Bozo's trinkets.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Nah, just was taught that personal integrity was a virtue, and that satisfaction comes from a job well done. Always believed in a fair day's work for a fair dollar. If the dollar wasn't fair I moved on instead of taking revenge.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You wouldn't be a candidate because having a brain is a prerequisite.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Unfortunately, not all are able or capable of furthering their education. Furthermore, a lot of areas have competitive job markets.

A competitive job market would give that guy MORE opportunities.

Is it better people just say screw it and go on assistance or actually try to be a productive member of society, despite the pay and working conditions not being ideal?

How about we expect them to not act like idiots?

59 Dano

So,l I have an honest question. The drivers hired by Ground contractors, are they subpar because contractors are cheap and getting rich or is the company simply not paying contractors enough to compensate adequate drivers?

Of course I have my opinion, but I’m curious as to yours.

All I can tell you is that they are hiring a lot of clowns, but if pressed I'd put the blame on the contractors because they evaluate the candidates and make the hiring decisions. If they're happy with what they hire, then alrighty.

59 Dano

If you can justify that kind of unprofessional behavior, enjoy limited job opportunities.

I'd tell you to find another job considering the hot economy...

bbsam

Staff member
All I can tell you is that they are hiring a lot of clowns, but if pressed I'd put the blame on the contractors because they evaluate the candidates and make the hiring decisions. If they're happy with what they hire, then alrighty.
Lol. You do toe the company line, that’s for sure.

Whither

Scofflaw
Nah, just was taught that personal integrity was a virtue, and that satisfaction comes from a job well done. Always believed in a fair day's work for a fair dollar. If the dollar wasn't fair I moved on instead of taking revenge.

Well, I was always in favor [edit: of] the abolition of the wage system as a form of social control and, yes, a kind of slavery. Even SJWs have sternly corrected me when I use that term, because it 'dishonors the historical suffering of black people'. And I have laughed. There's no justifying the fact that now one's time/life/energy must be rented to the market simply because, at other points, it could be privately owned by other individuals. If you think that all the junk decent pay may buy compensates for the dishonor of renting the better part of your life in order to survive, good on you. I don't.

On good days, I find this is a very satisfying job and enjoy doing it to the best of my ability. Otherwise why do you think I'd get on here to talk shop? Other days, I am curtly reminded: it is a job, and I am a peon, an Amazon delivery boy serving goals which not only are not my own, but which discount my safety -- and of course have no interest in my well-being.

Last edited: