Amazon is taking over... maybe not.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Well, I was always in favor [edit: of] the abolition of the wage system as a form of social control and, yes, a kind of slavery. Even SJWs have sternly corrected me when I use that term, because it 'dishonors the historical suffering of black people'. And I have laughed. There's no justifying the fact that now one's time/life/energy must be rented to the market simply because, at other points, it could be privately owned by other individuals. If you think that all the junk decent pay may buy compensates for the dishonor of renting the better part of your life in order to survive, good on you. I don't.

On good days, I find this is a very satisfying job and enjoy doing it to the best of my ability. Otherwise why do you think I'd get on here to talk shop? Other days, I am curtly reminded: it is a job, and I am a peon, an Amazon delivery boy serving goals which not only are not my own, but which discount my safety -- and of course have no interest in my well-being.
En·tre·pre·neur·ship
/ˌäntrəprəˈnərˌSHip/
noun
  1. the activity of setting up a business or businesses, taking on financial risks in the hope of profit.
There's your answer.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Well, I was always in favor [edit: of] the abolition of the wage system as a form of social control and, yes, a kind of slavery. Even SJWs have sternly corrected me when I use that term, because it 'dishonors the historical suffering of black people'. And I have laughed. There's no justifying the fact that now one's time/life/energy must be rented to the market simply because, at other points, it could be privately owned by other individuals. If you think that all the junk decent pay may buy compensates for the dishonor of renting the better part of your life in order to survive, good on you. I don't.

On good days, I find this is a very satisfying job and enjoy doing it to the best of my ability. Otherwise why do you think I'd get on here to talk shop? Other days, I am curtly reminded: it is a job, and I am a peon, an Amazon delivery boy serving goals which not only are not my own, but which discount my safety -- and of course have no interest in my well-being.

I haven't heard that level of highbrow intellectual philosophy in the workplace since my days earning minimum wage in a pizza restaurant in the early 90s.

Whither

Scofflaw
It's not my hearing that keeps me from those monologues, it's that I don't hang around in the places where they're performed.

I hear you hang out in Memphis. Even when you're not there. So why fritter away your time here, sparring with lost souls like me, when you could be using it to enhance the company's productivity, add value, and so on? Bad company corrupts good morals, brother.

vantexan

I hear you hang out in Memphis. Even when you're not there. So why fritter away your time here, sparring with lost souls like me, when you could be using it to enhance the company's productivity, add value, and so on? Bad company corrupts good morals, brother.
He's a lesser light in Memphis. Here he feels superior.

bacha29

For what's it's worth This AM Walmart .com rolled out next day delivery and says it will have 75% of the country covered by the end of the year. While there is no question that Ground is a poor set up to begin with and now taxed with trying to serve several markets at one time none of which it can do very well it is the undisputed margin leader of the company and after spending truckloads of money on an overseas air market caught up in a trade war and given that it's an EPS game Ground will likely will tasked with having to produce even better returns.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I hear you hang out in Memphis. Even when you're not there. So why fritter away your time here, sparring with lost souls like me, when you could be using it to enhance the company's productivity, add value, and so on?

Luckily for you, I can do both.

Bad company corrupts good morals, brother.

Then stop working for a bad company, BRO.

XEQaF

For what's it's worth This AM Walmart .com rolled out next day delivery and says it will have 75% of the country covered by the end of the year. While there is no question that Ground is a poor set up to begin with and now taxed with trying to serve several markets at one time none of which it can do very well it is the undisputed margin leader of the company and after spending truckloads of money on an overseas air market caught up in a trade war and given that it's an EPS game Ground will likely will tasked with having to produce even better returns.

Seems like because of it's initial success, the original structure and capabilities, Ground produced a healthy margin by incorporating the Contractor model and sucking all that it can from that. This really absorbed and hid the mismanagement and poor decision making that has pulled them away from what seemed to be their competitive advantages and core competencies. Now like you say they are trying to compete to serve several markets at the same time without a clear view of direction just cashing in on short-term margins.

bacha29

Seems like because of it's initial success, the original structure and capabilities, Ground produced a healthy margin by incorporating the Contractor model and sucking all that it can from that. This really absorbed and hid the mismanagement and poor decision making that has pulled them away from what seemed to be their competitive advantages and core competencies. Now like you say they are trying to compete to serve several markets at the same time without a clear view of direction just cashing in on short-term margins.
And according to reports it will get worse for Ground. Weight and dimension limits are now not exactly being enforced with stringent oversight. Everything that can be pushed over to Ground goes to Ground . Box grunts are getting hurt, trucks going out overloaded not getting the attention they need, kept on the road way beyond the manufacturers projected life span,, going 7 days quicker than they want to acknowledge. Fat Freddy and his sheep are going to rape it for every penny they can get out of it while contractors continue to run out of people willing to work for nothing.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
... Fat Freddy and his sheep are going to rape it for every penny they can get out of it while contractors continue to run out of people willing to work for nothing.
You’ve been projecting this scenario longer than you have a Trump impeachment.

Hang in there, I’m sure it could happen before you pass.

Whither

Scofflaw
True. We all know that winners with options actually prefer to schlep boxes for low pay and no benefits.

Every once in a while I scan the local ads for Ground contractors. Since Amazon's mandated a $15/hr base wage (no more X dollars per day BS) across the board, and most of the contractors at my station offer group benefits (mediocre w employee paid premiums, ofc), I don't see why people around here wouldn't jump ship. Both the vans and packages are less cumbersome and the pay is better ... seems like a no-brainer, even if it is Amazon ha.

It will be fine

Every once in a while I scan the local ads for Ground contractors. Since Amazon's mandated a $15/hr base wage (no more X dollars per day BS) across the board, and most of the contractors at my station offer group benefits (mediocre w employee paid premiums, ofc), I don't see why people around here wouldn't jump ship. Both the vans and packages are less cumbersome and the pay is better ... seems like a no-brainer, even if it is Amazon ha.
I hire former Amazon drivers all the time. They all say Amazon is a disorganized unprofessional mess. They prefer my organization.