America Shutdown Implemented To Ensure Our Healthcare Capacity Is Not Exceeded

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I asked the question based on the original premise of the shutdown to "Flatten the Curve".
As far as whether we should open the country back up ... I look at that the same way I look at Abortion.
Abortion - none of my business since I am a man.
Open up - it doesn't affect me. I will be sheltering in my basement regardless whether we open up or not.

I mentioned earlier that I think the open up versus not open up is primarily an issue that should be decided by the people who are not working and not getting a paycheck.
I'm retired and I get my SS and pension ... I'm not affected.
You're working ... you're not affected.

I have fine-tuned my approach to life and if it is out of my control or it doesn't affect me ... none of my business.
Not a terrible post.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
How many people are protesting ?
What are the numbers, a couple of hundred?
Are you advocating that we just throw the doors open with no guidance from medical experts.
Are not a majority of the states slowly reopening segments of their business

Depends on what you mean by protesting. If you mean ignoring shutdown/stay at home orders, then there are thousands in my city. In fact, the orders have been largely ignored by most individuals from the get-go.

You will need to be more specific about which medical "experts" we should be guided by. The ones we have been listening to have been swayed by public opinion more than actual science. As such, the group psychology delusions have become self-informing. Not a very good means by which to develop policy decisions.

I don't know what a majority of states are doing, I was just suggesting that the shutdowns were not going to last much longer, officially or not.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That is speculation on your part. I would hope that they are being swayed by more data that they are getting through increased testing

Well, when so many decisions being made have been in complete disregard of, and even opposition to, what science has established about respiratory illness, you have to almost be willfully ignorant to speculate otherwise.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Well, when so many decisions being made have been in complete disregard of, and even opposition to, what science has established about respiratory illness, you have to almost be willfully ignorant to speculate otherwise.
Exactly which decisions made have been that you deem to be in complete disregard of established medical procedures to combat respiratory illness?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Exactly which decisions made have been that you deem to be in complete disregard of established medical procedures to combat respiratory illness?
One that just smacks of stupidity is confining people indoors and not encouraging people to go outside while maintaining social distancing and wearing a mask. To me that was, is and will be just plain friend:censored2:king stupid.

oldngray

nowhere special
One that just smacks of stupidity is confining people indoors and not encouraging people to go outside while maintaining social distancing and wearing a mask. To me that was, is and will be just plain friend:censored2:king stupid.
It's the people confined close together in offices that are most at risk. People outside should be fine with minimal caution.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

I'm glad you asked. First, confining people to small spaces indoors, which is the best way to spread respiratory illness.

Recommending mask wearing for the general public, which then becomes mandated by local governments and businesses to avoid liability. Uninfected people wearing masks is worse than no good, it's like telling people to strap a germ magnet right over the two main entry points for infections. Maybe infected people should wear them to help prevent the spread, but the problem is that they become next to useless once they become moist. Wearing the same mask all day, or for several days without constant changing out and disinfecting increases the likelihood of the uninfected becoming infected and doesn't help the infected prevent transmission at all. That is why masks need to be used strategically. Who has liability when someone contracts the virus because they were forced to wear a mask?

I've seen people actually claim that we have to assume that everyone is infected. That's based off the notion of asymptomatic transmission. The problem with that notion is the standard for evidence supporting that claim was very poor. The claim was based on two case studies from China, as far as I could find any information. Case studies are about on par with anecdotal evidence, and two cases should never have been deemed good enough to inform a complete 180 on mask wearing recommendations.

Respiratory illnesses always drop off during times of warmer weather precisely because people are getting outside more, and the risk of spreading viruses diminishes significantly. That fact was completely ignored. Almost like none of the "experts" even knew that was a thing.

Respiratory illness spreads faster in areas of high population density, but "experts" ignored that fact when helping policy makers draft one-size-fits-all mitigation and suppression plans.

Clinics providing what were considered non-critical services have been shutdown, preventing people from getting care they need, and people with serious conditions have been reluctant to seek help due to fear of contracting covid in hospitals.

I'm sure I can think of some more points, but that's what I have off the top of my head.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Wasn't asking what yours or anyone on this site personal opinion was, i was asking what methodology was swayed or changed to slow the spread of the virus based on public opinion and not scientific data.
I would be willing to bet that no one on here is a expert in respiratory illness or its treatment

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I'm glad you asked. First, confining people to small spaces indoors, which is the best way to spread respiratory illness.

Recommending mask wearing for the general public, which then becomes mandated by local governments and businesses to avoid liability. Uninfected people wearing masks is worse than no good, it's like telling people to strap a germ magnet right over the two main entry points for infections. Maybe infected people should wear them to help prevent the spread, but the problem is that they become next to useless once they become moist. Wearing the same mask all day, or for several days without constant changing out and disinfecting increases the likelihood of the uninfected becoming infected and doesn't help the infected prevent transmission at all. That is why masks need to be used strategically. Who has liability when someone contracts the virus because they were forced to wear a mask?

I've seen people actually claim that we have to assume that everyone is infected. That's based off the notion of asymptomatic transmission. The problem with that notion is the standard for evidence supporting that claim was very poor. The claim was based on two case studies from China, as far as I could find any information. Case studies are about on par with anecdotal evidence, and two cases should never have been deemed good enough to inform a complete 180 on mask wearing recommendations.

Respiratory illnesses always drop off during times of warmer weather precisely because people are getting outside more, and the risk of spreading viruses diminishes significantly. That fact was completely ignored. Almost like none of the "experts" even knew that was a thing.

Respiratory illness spreads faster in areas of high population density, but "experts" ignored that fact when helping policy makers draft one-size-fits-all mitigation and suppression plans.

Clinics providing what were considered non-critical services have been shutdown, preventing people from getting care they need, and people with serious conditions have been reluctant to seek help due to fear of contracting covid in hospitals.

I'm sure I can think of some more points, but that's what I have off the top of my head.
Introduction and scope of the guidelines - Infection Prevention and Control of Epidemic- and Pandemic-Prone Acute Respiratory Infections in Health Care - NCBI Bookshelf
Here is an actual link to something written by scientific and medical experts, not a bunch of truck drivers opinions

"When a new infectious disease is identified, the modes of transmission are not well understood. The epidemiological and microbiological studies needed to determine the modes of transmission and identify possible IPC measures may be protracted. Due to the lack of information on modes of spread, Airborne and Contact Precautions, as well as eye protection, should be added to the routine Standard Precautions whenever possible, to reduce the risk of transmission of a newly emerging agent (Annex B describes Standard and other precautions). These precautions should be implemented until further studies reveal the mode of transmission. Epidemiological and clinical clues can indicate when additional precautions are needed"

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Respiratory illnesses always drop off during times of warmer weather precisely because people are getting outside more, and the risk of spreading viruses diminishes significantly. That fact was completely ignored. Almost like none of the "experts" even knew that was a thing

Myth busters

I know @DriveInDriveOut and others believe WHO are part of a vast Chinese conspiracy, but
COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates
The best way to protect yourself against COVID-19 is by maintaining physical distance of at least 1 metre from others and frequently cleaning your hands. By doing this you eliminate viruses that may be on your hands and avoid infection that could occur by then touching your eyes, mouth, and nose.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
COVID-19 virus can be transmitted in areas with hot and humid climates
No one said it couldn't.

I know @DriveInDriveOut and others believe WHO are part of a vast Chinese conspiracy
The Chinese government absolutely conspired to get the head of WHO put in that position because he has made deals with them before in his :censored2: hole country and they knew they controlled him.

That's just the facts my friend.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Wasn't asking what yours or anyone on this site personal opinion was, i was asking what methodology was swayed or changed to slow the spread of the virus based on public opinion and not scientific data.
I would be willing to bet that no one on here is a expert in respiratory illness or its treatment
Bite Me!