America Shutdown Implemented To Ensure Our Healthcare Capacity Is Not Exceeded

Sportello

Dude, every article up until about a month ago was explaining why we shouldn't wear masks. There is nothing about this situation that invalidates the science behind mask wearing. I posted the homepage link for that site for anyone who is not aware of it. I look for that address when I am looking for something more involved than what can be found at business insider.

I linked another article from the site that also cites other scientific papers that are available from Google scholar and the like. If you want articles that help you maintain your current level of thinking, then by all means, stick with vox, wired, Washington post, NY times, etc. If you want to go to the source and see what experts really say, then you have to dig a little deeper.
Lots of words that say nothing.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think there may be a misunderstanding about masks.

In wearing a mask to protect yourself, the mask must have a filter, e.g. The N95 mask. These are commonly referred to as respirators. They filter out and protect you (the wearer) from inhaling contaminants.

99.9% of the masks you see the public wearing do not protect the wearer from others, rather the reverse is true. They primarily protect others from the wearer infecting them. Think, a surgeon wearing a mask to prevent contaminating a sterile field. These are commonly referred to by medical personal as "community comfort" masks.

As far as increased risks associated with wearing a community comfort mask, especially as it becomes damp from moisture due to exhaling, they are not intended to be a stand-alone measure. Employing social distancing methods while wearing the mask are imperative for both the wearer as well as for the public.

Hope this helps.

There's certainly no misunderstanding on my part. Doesn't matter if It's a surgical mask, or a bandana, they will not protect the community they way it is claimed. Moisture droplets escape the sides, or directly through the mask once it gets moist. The only good they do is if an infected person wears a mask it alerts people around them to be sure to keep their distance. When everyone wears one, it diminishes the only good the could possibly do.

N95 masks have the same issues with maximum time for wear before having to change them out. Masks, ultimately, are only helpful in a controlled, clinical setting in which their proper use can be accommodated and where they can protect the people most likely to come into contact with the virus on a regular basis.

I hope this helps, but I know some people don't want to be helped.

floridays

Not all viruses have herd immunity.

I'll argue they do. Herd immunity is no guarantee a member of the herd will not be later infected, it is a protector of the herd though.
Every year there is a flu vaccine, every year all don't take it, some get the flu that didn't, some get the flu that did.
Most that get it live, and have antibodies that help the body fight the next flu.
Most live, it's called life, some people will actually die, that is called death.

This kind of thing is nothing new at all, it's life.

You are too fearful Tupac. I thought gangsters were tuff guys.

floridays

Yep, that means no evidence of herd immunity and opening everything up= possibly an epidemic like the 1918 flu.
I think you will be quite embarrassed after true numbers come in.
We'll see, I've planted my flag, I've never had a problem saying I was wrong when proven wrong either.

Have you gotten all the egg off your face from the Mueller stuff yet?

Just say you believed a lot of BS reporting which was wrong and we'll call it a day.