America Shutdown Implemented To Ensure Our Healthcare Capacity Is Not Exceeded

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
upload_2020-5-7_0-12-1.png

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
On a more serious note... If it "became like a bowl shape," wouldn't the upward trend on the backside of the "bowl" be of great concern?

Sportello

Banned
That's why I have been saying, regardless what politicians decide, I'm hibernating in my basement until a vaccine and/or therapeutic are developed.
I haven't been anywhere there are people outside of my immediate household in two months. I'm not so sure there will be a vaccine or therapeutic this year. Possibly yes, probably no. The best minds in the world are working non-stop, so we will see.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I haven't been anywhere there are people outside of my immediate household in two months. I'm not so sure there will be a vaccine or therapeutic this year. Possibly yes, probably no. The best minds in the world are working non-stop, so we will see.
What are you going to do if a cure is never found ?

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Massachusetts has opened up the Golf Courses with many restrictions. Club house are closed, along with rest rooms. No golf carts are allowed, only a hand cart that you bring with you can be used. Must reserve tee times by phone or online , payment is due when booking. Must wait in your vehicle until golf course notifies you. And when finished you have 15 mins to leave the area.

City of Lynn just had an accident , golfer broke a bone. Since no golf carts can be used there was a delay getting the victim off the course. Management had run back to the shop and get one.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Have we flattened the curve?
flatten-the-curve.jpg

It’s too soon to declare victory, but it’s looking that way, says Dr. Stephen Hawes, professor of epidemiology at the University of Washington School of Medicine.

Even if the curve was flattened, it doesn’t mean the pandemic is over. Nationwide restrictions weren’t meant to reduce the number of cases of COVID-19. It was just to delay and spread them out over time. Rather than a steep peak of cases, a gentle, or flattened hill was the goal.

“It allows health departments and hospitals to be ready and not be overwhelmed with patients with COVID,” Hawes said. “The real worry early in the epidemic was how quickly this would ramp up and overwhelm the hospital staff and resources and ICUs.”

While the medical system has been able to take advantage of the slowdown in infections, so have other segments of society.
Businesses from restaurants to meat-packing plants are devising and implementing protocols designed to reduce infections between employees and the public.

“Flattening the curve also allows both medical professionals and businesses to learn what’s happening in other places and prepare for the best approach,” Hawes said. But the cost to businesses and workers has been enormous. Unemployment is the highest its been since the Great Depression. Even the medical industry has laid off and furloughed employees.

Testing is crucial in determining how widespread the pandemic has become, Hawes said. It’s the third type of test, serological, that most interests Hawes.

“It’ll be more about antibody testing to see who in the past has been infected, who might be immune,” Hawes said. “It’ll really inform what happened over the past two months in terms of transmission. What proportion of people were infected but didn’t have symptoms.”

For instance, testing could show how many young people were infected but were asymptomatic. Different policies could be developed for different demographics beyond the current ones that urge vulnerable groups to be more cautious.

Hawes understands that the public wants answers now. Widespread antibody testing will help, he said. “It’s frustrating, but we’re bound to learn more,” he said.

Social distancing is not only the most visible weapon in the fight against SARS-CoV-2, Hawes thinks it’s also the most effective.
“The fewer people that are infected who come into contact with uninfected people, the less likely we are to transmit it,” he said.

Masks are the proverbial two-way street. They can help prevent an infected person from spreading the disease, and they can help prevent an uninfected person from getting it. If you go out in public, it doesn’t matter which group you fall into.
“It doesn’t take much to wear a mask,” Hawes said. “It doesn’t take much to social distance.”

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
Columbia university released a study that found if the shutdown had begun 1 week earlier 36,000 American lives would have been saved!

That's more than 12x's the number of Americans killed on 9/11!