America's Backdoor To Communism

vantexan

Nobody knows what it is and how long it will last. You are promoting ill informed complacency. Sure, it might behave as you describe, but perhaps not. When there's an effective treatment or vaccine, it would be controlled. Until then, it's a unknown.
Apparently you haven't been paying attention in the last couple of days. Plenty of room for hope. Pushing the "we're all going to die" narrative isn't grounded in reality.

bbsam

Staff member
Letting them fail is absolutely an option.

But you're missing the point.
The government forced them to shutdown.

Forcing the company into bankruptcy and then demanding ownership to save them? Sounds like a huge power grab to me.
The government also gave them huge landmark tax cuts. These companies need to take some responsibility as well. And who woulda thought that American capitalism was so fragile.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The government also gave them huge landmark tax cuts. These companies need to take some responsibility as well. And who woulda thought that American capitalism was so fragile.
Tax cuts is not giving them anything, it's taking less from them.

These companies need to take responsibility for the government forcing them to shut down?

bbsam

Staff member
Apparently you haven't been paying attention in the last couple of days. Plenty of room for hope. Pushing the "we're all going to die" narrative isn't grounded in reality.
I wouldn’t put a lot of stock in hopeful news right now.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The answer to preventing industries from failing is deregulation. Lower the bar to entry, give the private sector the flexibility to innovate and solve the problems. There are very few things that are best handled by the government.

If the concern is the massive expansion of the CCP's power and influence, the response is not to try to beat them at their own game. The proper answer to increased government control is increased individual liberty.

Indecisi0n

What’s the alternative? Let them fail? If so, do we run the risk of near monopolies in industries?

Look, if a company goes bankrupt after a two week or even a one month shutdown, maybe they should be out of business. I’m jus not sure what happens if an entire industry goes belly up. I’m starting to think I wouldn’t mind seeing it though.

The one thing I am completely tired of is companies bailed out and then gouging consumers. Let me go.
Should we just ban @DriveInDriveOut ? I'll bring it up in our mod meeting this morning. You want a coffee ? I'm heading over to the cafe before I come up.

vantexan

The 6th largest economy in the world doesn't make it 1/6th of the world's economy. No worries, will just keep cleaning up after you.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I knew it! I always thought he was a Lib, but during the kid and the Native American Maga extravaganza, he switched! Thought I lost my mind.
I like to criticize Republicans, but at least they're not pushing to use tax payer money to pay for sex reassignment surgery for illegal immigrants. No joke.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Going forward, I say no government monies for any business unless they have income interruption insurance.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Going forward, I say no government monies for any business unless they have income interruption insurance.
Insurance companies may not pay for business losses from coronavirus.

Small-business owners banking on their so-called business disruption insurance to bail them out of the mounting losses being inflicted by the COVID-19 pandemic may be in for a rude shock.

That’s because a little-known condition of coverage put in place in 2006, a few years after the SARS outbreak, excludes coverage for any “loss due to virus or bacteria.”