And the BROWNOUT continues

Status
Not open for further replies.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
All I am worried about is not having enough time to do my due diligence before entering into a 5 year contract. We need the time to fully understand all details of the contract, including the "enhanced healthcare".

All I am asking from the union is a timeline. When will they release the TA? When will they release the "enhanced healthcare"? When will they send out the ballots? We need the time to do our due diligence and then enough time to spread the information to our brothers who remain in the dark by choice.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it - Aristotle"

We are not congress. We are truck drivers, and loaders, and unloaders, and in some areas car washers, mechanics, porters, etc. We are smart enough to know we have to read it, before we pass it.

bbsam

Staff member
We are not congress. We are truck drivers, and loaders, and unloaders, and in some areas car washers, mechanics, porters, etc. We are smart enough to know we have to read it, before we pass it.
In Congress' defense, they didn't have to read it because the lobbyists who wrote it told them to pass it.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Well it's been 4 days since the TA, and almost no imformation has been forthcoming. I am beginning to think that the first time I will get to actually read the contract in when my ballot come in the mail. Can you imaging getting 30 plus pages of small type legalese writen contract to try and read in the few days you will have to mail in your ballot.
I have heard that hall made every local turn in their copy of the contract before they left the negotiating room so it wouldn't end up on tdu.org.
I guess he doesn't want any imformation leaked to us.

It will be released like it has been every contract, by your business agent a a meeting at your local hall. The agents all will be in D.C next week for the 2-man review and will come back with everything that has changed for everyone to review and discuss in a meeting at the hall where it should be done. Not on an internet forum.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You know what I find amusing?

Many of the people who are complaining the loudest about the details of the offer not being released yet....are the same people who had already decided to vote "no" on the offer for no other reason than the fact that Hoffa and Hall are the ones who negotiated it.

Some people just arent happy unless they have something to bitch about.

soberups

Or the union can stop making everything a damn secret and they can come into the 21st century and use the damn internet like everyone else.

"Secret" implies an intent on the part of the union to deliberately withold information. I see no evidence of such intent.

If your complaint is simply that the union is failing to use modern technology to provide the details of the offer as fast as you would like them to, that is a completely seperate issue.

The bottom line is, you might just have to wait a few more days. Relax. Its gonna be OK.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.

Many of the people who are complaining the loudest about the details of the offer not being released yet....are the same people who had already decided to vote "no" on the offer for no other reason than the fact that Hoffa and Hall are the ones who negotiated it.

I am screaming the loudest for the details. So far, I am leaning toward a YES vote. But if I don't get time to read all of it and take my time with it, it will be a NO vote. This is a big deal to all of us. I just don't trust Hoffa and Hall like alot of the cheerleaders on hear do. I trust me.

soberups

All I am worried about is not having enough time to do my due diligence before entering into a 5 year contract. We need the time to fully understand all details of the contract, including the "enhanced healthcare".

"

If past contracts are any guide...and I have been voting on them for 26 years now...copies of the proposed agreement will be made available to the membership approximately one month before ballots are even mailed out. And at that point you will probably have at least a couple of weeks before those ballots are due to be turned in. As of this moment, it has only been 3 business days since the tentative agreement was even announced to the media. We are talking about a nationwide labor contract, not a gift that you point and click and order overnight from Amazon.com. We may just need to wait a little bit longer.

stink219

BOOM!!!!! You called it!!

InsideUPS

soberups..... not all of us fall into the category you mentioned above.... I for one am a Hall supporter.. I liked him in 97 and I still have faith in his abilities. I said it before and I will say it again.... Hall could benefit by a good PR person... Carey/Hall were an excellent team because we had the best of both worlds..... an excellent and charismatic speaker (good PR) person (Carey) combined with a good "behind the scenes" negotiator (Hall). Hall still has his abilities....but no longer has a "Team"leader with charisma and speaking abilities that UNITES the rank and file. NO names....but I believe you understand what I am trying to say....

soberups

All I am asking from the union is a timeline. When will they release the TA? When will they release the "enhanced healthcare"? When will they send out the ballots? We need the time to do our due diligence and then enough time to spread the information to our brothers who remain in the dark by choice.

I cant speak for your area, but my Local (162 Portland, OR) has scheduled a special contract proposal meeting for Saturday the 18th. At that meeting, our local leadership will offer a powerpoint presentation where every line of the new offer will be shown on an overhead projector, side-by-side with the current language so that all the changes will be highlighted for questions and discussion by the membership. After that, I expect it will be a minimum of 3 weeks before ballots are even mailed out, and a couple of weeks more before they are due to be turned in. Bottom line; nobody is hiding anything. The information about the new offer will be made available to us in a timely manner, and we will have ample time to read it, discuss it, ask about it and make our own decisions about it prior to casting our ballot. The current agreement doesnt even expire for 3 more months, and the tentative agreement was only reached 4 business days ago. My guess...is that the people who are the most vocal about demanding every last detail of the new offer NOW have already decided how they are going to vote anyway, and they are just looking for more out-of-context facts to bash Hoffa and Hall with.

realbrown1

I cant speak for your area, but my Local (162 Portland, OR) has scheduled a special contract proposal meeting for Saturday the 18th. At that meeting, our local leadership will offer a powerpoint presentation where every line of the new offer will be shown on an overhead projector, side-by-side with the current language so that all the changes will be highlighted for questions and discussion by the membership. After that, I expect it will be a minimum of 3 weeks before ballots are even mailed out, and a couple of weeks more before they are due to be turned in. Bottom line; nobody is hiding anything. The information about the new offer will be made available to us in a timely manner, and we will have ample time to read it, discuss it, ask about it and make our own decisions about it prior to casting our ballot. The current agreement doesnt even expire for 3 more months, and the tentative agreement was only reached 4 business days ago. My guess...is that the people who are the most vocal about demanding every last detail of the new offer NOW have already decided how they are going to vote anyway, and they are just looking for more out-of-context facts to bash Hoffa and Hall with.

Really, they can't put that on-line. Why do I have to waste (which I will end up doing) a whole Saturday to drive 2 hours to my local union hall, sit with a bunch of sweaty wart hogs (no offense) and listen to a bunch of pompous knuckleheads telling me the highlights they choose to tell me.
PUT THE friend-ING CONTRACT ON-LINE. I mean even cheryl has the contract on BC. How hard is it?

We were told at our local meeting this past Sunday that there would be a national meeting in Washington D.C. on May the 7th. All locals
are to attend and all details of the contract will be presented including the new health care proposals. Then of course the local will have a
meeting to explain everything. I doubt the ballots will go out much before June. This is far from over.
I agree brother. My BCs aren't answer much. My local is having meeting this Sunday May 5th but the good info won't be out until after the 7th.

Here is the deal people. I feel for anyone that is upset that we can't see the TA at full. Problem is its not in stone with some of the locals so we as members need to wait until they get things in order, then we can say if it's good or bad and then vote. There is still time people so just wait please.

soberups

Really, they can't put that on-line. Why do I have to waste (which I will end up doing) a whole Saturday to drive 2 hours to my local union hall, sit with a bunch of sweaty wart hogs (no offense) and listen to a bunch of pompous knuckleheads telling me the highlights they choose to tell me.
PUT THE friend-ING CONTRACT ON-LINE. I mean even cheryl has the contract on BC. How hard is it?

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

1.You are currently covered under a labor agreement that makes you the highest paid in the industry.

2. You are being given the opportunity to make an informed vote on a new labor agreement that, at the very least, will continue to make you the highest paid in the industry.

3. You somehow feel cheated or victimized by the fact that you may just have to take a couple of hours out of your busy life to go down to the local headquarters of the same union that has negotiated those industry leading wages and benefits for you....in order to obtain the information that you need prior to voting on that new agreement.

You know what? I am trying really, really hard to find it in my heart to feel some sort of sympathy for your "plight". Unfortunately...its not working. I'm just not feeling it. I will keep trying. Maybe we here at Brown Cafe could take up some sort of a collection on your behalf to compensate you for the time and gas you will have to spend to go to your icky local union hall and sit with all those icky people. What the heck, I will even throw in a quarter.

realbrown1

Let me see if I understand you correctly.

1.You are currently covered under a labor agreement that makes you the highest paid in the industry.

2. You are being given the opportunity to make an informed vote on a new labor agreement that, at the very least, will continue to make you the highest paid in the industry.

3. You somehow feel cheated or victimized by the fact that you may just have to take a couple of hours out of your busy life to go down to the local headquarters of the same union that has negotiated those industry leading wages and benefits for you....in order to obtain the information that you need prior to voting on that new agreement.

You know what? I am trying really, really hard to find it in my heart to feel some sort of sympathy for your "plight". Unfortunately...its not working. I'm just not feeling it. I will keep trying. Maybe we here at Brown Cafe could take up some sort of a collection on your behalf to compensate you for the time and gas you will have to spend to go to your icky local union hall and sit with all those icky people. What the heck, I will even throw in a quarter.

Well Sober let me inform you as to why I am a little peeved at the union.

#1 They can send out a text when ever Hoffa is going to be on TV. They can post anything they want on teamsters.org. They give all the B.A.'s union paid smartphones and laptops. But clicking a mouse button to put the contract on-line is too much. I would settle for a date that it will be put on-line like May 20th or around about. They are having their big meeting May 7th, so it must be about finalized.

#2 Having us have to go down to the union hall is ridiculous. Alot of people have plans for the weekends. You know family time. Mine are usually spent at my kids sports games or having family over to visit. So, I would prefer not to have to drive 2 hours there and 2 hours back and waste my gosh darn SATURDAY.

#3 I don't give a flying friend^CK that we are the highest paid this or the best compensated that. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TEAMSTERS POSTING THE PROPOSED CONTRACT ON-LINE SO WE CAN ALL SEE IT ASAP.

#4 You really didn't think this over before you started typing, did you?

Evil

I agree brother. My BCs aren't answer much. My local is having meeting this Sunday May 5th but the good info won't be out until after the 7th.

That's a sellout, how the hell are you suppose to know what's on the TA if the original document won't get released until two days later? We all know you can't trust the majority of these locals.

Evil

#1 They can send out a text when ever Hoffa is going to be on TV. They can post anything they want on teamsters.org. They give all the B.A.'s union paid smartphones and laptops. But clicking a mouse button to put the contract on-line is too much. I would settle for a date that it will be put on-line like May 20th or around about. They are having their big meeting May 7th, so it must be about finalized.

#2 Having us have to go down to the union hall is ridiculous. Alot of people have plans for the weekends. You know family time. Mine are usually spent at my kids sports games or having family over to visit. So, I would prefer not to have to drive 2 hours there and 2 hours back and waste my gosh darn SATURDAY.

#3 I don't give a flying friend^CK that we are the highest paid this or the best compensated that. HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE TEAMSTERS POSTING THE PROPOSED CONTRACT ON-LINE SO WE CAN ALL SEE IT ASAP.

soberups,

Does every other company in the industry exploit its workers more than UPS? If there is please provide me with the name of the company. There's is a reason the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) refers to UPS as their ATM machine. They have yet to find a company that subjugates its employees to the conditions we face, and the fact that Junior and Hall don't acknowledge this is a damn shame!

kingOFchester

Here is the deal people. I feel for anyone that is upset that we can't see the TA at full. Problem is its not in stone with some of the locals so we as members need to wait until they get things in order, then we can say if it's good or bad and then vote. There is still time people so just wait please.

Well the union should be communicating this. That is the problem not communication. I bet when we are out humping boxes they are at home patting themselves on the back. Again, communicate, give us timelines let us know what you are waitting for. They can update their site with all of the other stuff.

UPS Preloader

You won't have to go to the union hall to get the TA. It should be posted online at one ore more of the following on May 7th: Teamster Website, some of the Locals's websites, or TDU. You only need to go to the union hall if you would like to discuss it with your business agents and your fellow union members.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.