another win for freight

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I don't know that I agree with that. If freight were to organize, wouldn't FDX simply find ways to move more of that freight through other opcos? I could see Ground suddenly getting a lot more straight truck routes.
They way Ground handles most small packages and you think they can just jump right in and handle large freight? That's a laugh.

Cactus

Straight truck, forklift, palletized freight.....yeah, really tough stuff there.
Tell your boss tomorrow you'll be willing to help out in those areas in addition to your other duties.

Talk about an incentive for even more Ground drivers to quit on the spot.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
They way Ground handles most small packages and you think they can just jump right in and handle large freight? That's a laugh.

Ground straight trucks are usually filled to the brim with small packages and parked nose-in blocking your access to stops at the local mall. I think a liftgate and pallet jack would confuse most Ground drivers to the point that they'd have to smoke an extra joint just to understand it.

bbsam

Staff member
Ground straight trucks are usually filled to the brim with small packages and parked nose-in blocking your access to stops at the local mall. I think a liftgate and pallet jack would confuse most Ground drivers to the point that they'd have to smoke an extra joint just to understand it.
Oh, yes. It's so incredibly complicated.

Really, though, I wonder if any of the stations that voted in the union have seen any volunteers decline.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I just love how so many people seem to think that other people's jobs are soooooo incredibly easy.

It seems to be an epidemic problem on this site, even with the mods.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I just love how so many people seem to think that other people's jobs are soooooo incredibly easy.

The Ground driver does essentially what a UPS driver does, except without the professionalism, speed, safety, or personal grooming standards.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
The Ground driver does essentially what a UPS driver does, except without the professionalism, speed, safety, or personal grooming standards.
I know all the ground guys on my route.

They usually don't stay long.

$650 a week for 10 plus hours a day with no benefits.

And they wonder why they have such a high turnover rate.

bbsam

Staff member

But then again, I've done straight truck routes before; not bad at all.

bbsam

Staff member

We don't wonder at all. We know exactly why there's high turnover but until Pittsburgh sees it as a problem, it will remain so.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Yep. I watch them do stupid crap all the time, and you get exactly what you pay for with the Ground clown posse. At least a lot of them are smart enough to realize they're getting screwed...and leave.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We don't wonder at all. We know exactly why there's high turnover but until Pittsburgh sees it as a problem, it will remain so.

The basic business model would need to change, Sammy, and they aren't going to mess with the Golden Goose. It's cheaper to pay settlements for Ground accidents, and deal with the constant turnover rather than create a more professional organization. Doing so would decrease the profit margin.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
What a "brown"-noser!

Yeah, that's me. When I see a Ground driver pull parallel to the curb or back-in instead of nosing-in to a dock or residential, I'll know you've "arrived". In the meantime, I'll just keep pulling the keys from the running truck blocking me at the alley or dock and toss them underneath the Ground vehicle.

Cactus

Ground = less costs = less personal hygiene = less professionalism = more accidents = more Profit in Smith's Pocket