Anymore non 9.5 Hubs left?

RuthlessSupSlayer

I am would like some OT...about 8-10hrs because i make second year rate under 2013 contract. And i moved laterally as my finances are concerned with the ability to work some OT...now i just watch someone else work after i punch out and file on him...easy $$

Last edited:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Of course I can make it on 40hr a week. But is it as easy?? No. Saving for kids college. God forbid a nice vacation once a year. Eating out on a Saturday night maybe bowling/movies. I thought this was a blue collar middle class job?? I'm in california too by the way
What you just described is exactly a blue collar middle class job.

Forever it's been UPS thinking that it's cheaper to pay the o.t. than pay for another employees salary, health care, pension, vacation and also additional pkg car, gas, tires, starter and more mechanics etc. So what changed? If this is trying to save money I don't get it. Can someone explain to me how UPS benefits from this!

JL 0513

Forever it's been UPS thinking that it's cheaper to pay the o.t. than pay for another employees salary, health care, pension, vacation and also additional pkg car, gas, tires, starter and more mechanics etc. So what changed? If this is trying to save money I don't get it. Can someone explain to me how UPS benefits from this!

The only explanation is the introduction of hybrid drivers who will be making much less, especially up front. I can see no other reason. UPS has never cared about the OT complaints from drivers wanting less hours. They wouldn't just suddenly change.

I could see if we suddenly got a new CEO who wanted to do things very differently but itsi the same leadership.

Mooseknuckle

When you live above your means, your forced to work overtime or get another job. It’s much easier to not drive a $50,000 car, and not have a $2000 a month mortgage. Your right, life is full of choices.
There are many areas where you can't live in the ghetto for a $2k mortgage. Sure you can move but, as you know the transfer process isn't possible if you are a "part time" cover driver for many years. Things aren't the same for everyone.

Foamer Pyle

There are many areas where you can't live in the ghetto for a $2k mortgage. Sure you can move but, as you know the transfer process isn't possible if you are a "part time" cover driver for many years. Things aren't the same for everyone.
I know those Liberal states are very expensive.

Dollar Chasing

The only explanation is the introduction of hybrid drivers who will be making much less, especially up front. I can see no other reason. UPS has never cared about the OT complaints from drivers wanting less hours. They wouldn't just suddenly change.

I could see if we suddenly got a new CEO who wanted to do things very differently but itsi the same leadership.
Eeeehhh...I see it as UPS realizing that they can hire all of these temps at $25/hr with no benefits in addition to all of the brand new drivers they have been hiring for a while now at $18.75/hr (soon to be about $21) and buy new trucks for them to drive while taking away $54/hr OT away from senior drivers, all the while making sure to be paying ZERO penalty pay for over 9.5s. They’ll come out on top overall I guarantee it.

Add to that their ability to turn all of these trained temps into 22.4s with a ton of area knowledge already gained. It’s expensive and time consuming to hire and train new people. Add to that their ability to take all of the new trucks and claim them on their taxes with the new tax law writeoffs for corporate expenditures, and they’re probably going to come out of this on the plus side.

Plus I heard these new trucks they are building are gas, not diesel. Better gas tech has allowed them to make engines that get better power with better gas mileage while using cheaper fuel. Add to that all of the electric vehicles they’re putting out, and costs just keep going down for operations.

Less service failures with people not being overloaded means less refunds and less people leaving us because we are sucking. UPS is going to be just fine.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm confused---up until about a month ago everyone was complaining about all the hours they were forced to work and were getting yelled at to sign the 9.5 list. Now all of a sudden everyone is complaining they aren't getting enough hours.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I'm confused---up until about a month ago everyone was complaining about all the hours they were forced to work and were getting yelled at to sign the 9.5 list. Now all of a sudden everyone is complaining they aren't getting enough hours.
It’s even more mind boggling when you have that conversation with the same driver.

davidix

Eeeehhh...I see it as UPS realizing that they can hire all of these temps at $25/hr with no benefits in addition to all of the brand new drivers they have been hiring for a while now at $18.75/hr (soon to be about $21) and buy new trucks for them to drive while taking away $54/hr OT away from senior drivers, all the while making sure to be paying ZERO penalty pay for over 9.5s. They’ll come out on top overall I guarantee it.

Add to that their ability to turn all of these trained temps into 22.4s with a ton of area knowledge already gained. It’s expensive and time consuming to hire and train new people. Add to that their ability to take all of the new trucks and claim them on their taxes with the new tax law writeoffs for corporate expenditures, and they’re probably going to come out of this on the plus side.

Plus I heard these new trucks they are building are gas, not diesel. Better gas tech has allowed them to make engines that get better power with better gas mileage while using cheaper fuel. Add to that all of the electric vehicles they’re putting out, and costs just keep going down for operations.

Less service failures with people not being overloaded means less refunds and less people leaving us because we are sucking. UPS is going to be just fine.
Sounds like the right move going forward. More routes, cheaper drivers..we're still making full time driver rate. They still need us. Keep the ot there's nothing wrong with 45ish hours a week. They won't cut Monday's they'll push volume and regulate it with more routes and bodies.

The vote no campaign needed another reason for their agenda. They have changed the narrative from too much overtime to no overtime.