Anyone else see the message from Sean O'brien?

brown_trousers

I think his point was, once we lose the workweek consisting of five consecutive days wording, it would almost become inevitable. Give an inch, UPS takes a mile.

The 5 consecutive day issue is about the only issue on that list worth striking for. And i bet UPS is already planning on losing that issue anyways, just to make us feel like we are winning something.

Future

Victory Ride
That's a misconception only his foreskin was Jewish. ;)
8DCD1A6E-8829-42FB-B4ED-C630B28E1E1E.jpeg

542thruNthru

Sounds like they still want a 5-day week, but the option to schedule non-consecutive 5 days...ex Su, Tu-Fri.

My whole building is actually doing split days since Saturday delivery started. My center manager schedules them a Wed or Thurs off along with Sunday. Most do it because they want to but some do it because they are afraid to say no. The ones that do it like being able to pick the day which because they can demand 5 consecutive days my center manager allows it.

If they didn't have that protection my center manager would change the schedule every week and anyone who has dealt with a manager setting a schedule in a different job knows how much they can screw that up.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I was just pointing out there are other good paying, non-degree requiring jobs in response to your comment @babboo25. What's keeping you from jumping off a building? After 11 years and I'm just now getting to 36/hr, why wouldn't I want to walk away now to go through a 4 year apprenticeship? SMH.
Dragon liked your post...LMAO!!!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I will never understand cheerleading for a strike.

Preparing for and being willing to strike, yes.

Wanting a strike???

That's just begging to bleed more volume to FedEx.
Absolutely... and upper mgt knows this also, so why aren’t they trying to negotiate in good faith... they are pulling the same :censored2: that they did with the airline mechanics and pilots...

35years

Gravy route
My whole building is actually doing split days since Saturday delivery started. My center manager schedules them a Wed or Thurs off along with Sunday. Most do it because they want to but some do it because they are afraid to say no. The ones that do it like being able to pick the day which because they can demand 5 consecutive days my center manager allows it.

If they didn't have that protection my center manager would change the schedule every week and anyone who has dealt with a manager setting a schedule in a different job knows how much they can screw that up.

Where is your BA?
We went to Saturday delivery and essentially the new guys are T-S and the longer seniority drivers are still M-friend.

If UPS wants to run Sunday they can cover it with part time volunteers like they used to cover Saturday air. I know the union never wants PT drivers touching ground, but the alternative is worse.

Both sides know non-consecutive 2 days off per week or rotating schedules are a deal breaker.

Last edited:

1989NW

I disagree with any of those being done deals but I agree about fools that wanna strike. Anyone on lower half of seniority list will more than likely be permanently laid off. Hopefully they have college degrees but McDonald’s now pays $15 hour in some areas.
What makes you say anyone on lower half of the seniority list would be permanently laid off? Why would anyone be permanently laid off? I am a 2 year full time driver with only 2 below me on the seniority list. so you are saying i am going to be permanently laid off?

35years

Gravy route
What makes you say anyone on lower half of the seniority list would be permanently laid off? Why would anyone be permanently laid off? I am a 2 year full time driver with only 2 below me on the seniority list. so you are saying i am going to be permanently laid off?
In the event of a strike we will lose some packages. Some will be laid off/forced to bump in to the building, certainly not 1/2, and not permanently. Just a guess...The drop in volume would likely only last less than a year, but we would lose anticipated volume increases. Likely peak would see everyone back, and then perhaps some lay-offs after the 2nd week in January. Depends how over-staffed your bldg. is now. The last time we went on strike the lay offs only lasted 2 weeks in my bldg...perhaps 10% of drivers for 2 weeks. Start a strike fund now, nothing is guaranteed.

Last edited:

1989NW

In the event of a strike we will lose some packages. Some will be laid off/forced to bump in to the building, certainly not 1/2, and not permanently. Just a guess...The drop in volume would likely only last less than a year, but we would lose anticipated volume increases. The last time we went on strike the lay offs only lasted 2 weeks in my bldg. Start a strike fund now.
I am in a small center with only about 25 drivers with the top 5 retiring april 2019. Drivers are in high demand in my center it seems. How many drivers are in your center?

35years

Gravy route
I am in a small center with only about 25 drivers with the top 5 retiring april 2019. Drivers are in high demand in my center it seems. How many drivers are in your center?
Well then you will be 8th from the bottom in April, out of 25. Unless we have a long protracted strike (which is highly unlikely) you should be fine. But have a fund to take care of any short time lay offs. Also learn about any rights you might have for bumping into the bldg. during a lay off.

Last edited:

babboo25

Banned
If there’s a strike then you won’t have a job anymore, Plain and simple fact.