Anyone had this happen?

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Two days in a row. Friday I had a package listed in edd as 3649 such and such a street. Well, there is no such address, the address on the package which was correct was 3647 (same street)

Yesterday had listed in edd 3 packages for 1799 such and such a street, couldn't find it, later found 3 packages for 1863 same street.

The pal labels seem to come up with wrong addresses when packages are scanned thus listed in edd wrong.

How the heck does this happen? Also I deliver to an address on the freeway (port of entry) and at least 3 times a week the pal labels assign wrong packages to this address; packages which are not even remotely near my area.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
That was not the question, btw I delivered them, put not found for those under the wrong address and entered the correct one manually, afterall the packages had the correct address.

I was asking if others had this happen and how it might happen.

over9five

Staff member
What you do is tear off the PAL, write down the problem and hand it to the PAS sup.

Nothing will happen cuz he won't know how to fix it, but whenever they cry you can tell them how you made the effort to fix the problem.

Thanks for delivering the packages. You did the right thing!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
in the old days diad1,2 ,3 and on clipboard with real paper, we made the correction and del to the correct add customer was happy and driver didn't see it again!! all were happy!! :happy2:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Working at a customer counter, it's easy to come across bad pals. Out of 700 or so packages, probably 10% are there because of bad PALs. Unfortunately, the drivers such as the one who orignally responded, will disregard anything but the pal and sheet it NSS or NS#. This is pretty lazy and definitly a slap in the customers face.

Imagine if you had a package with an entirely correct UPS label (the shipper held their end of the bargain) - then a bad pal; and the driver didn't even bother, making you go out of your way to pick it up.

It's not a perfect system, but unfortunately the majority of the drivers make little effort too. Now; this may not be entirely their fault either, as some are simply undeliverable as (for instance) the GPS may not allow the stop to be completed; or something along those lines. I'm not really sure the protocal there.

That doesn't even cover how awful the PAS clerks are at actually FINDING addresses and correcting bad pals....

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
It's real easy. Don't deliver them, put no such # or no such street. Take the free stops and get in 15 minutes earlier.

Please read everyone else's response. The problem was created by your center's PDS people. Those pkgs should have been delivered if possible & called in!

LifeUPSer

Life without Parole
We have that problem often in San Francisco and San Bruno. What some of the drivers do is give it to the PDS supervisor so they can have a blank stare and say "What do you want me to do with it." What sometimes hapens is that in AMS if there is an alias then it can put the wrong address on it. That is one of the down falls to that system. If the PDS supervisor does a regular maintanence of AMS then those will be far and few between.

JustTired

free at last.......
Now we know what would happen if they could ever figure out how to get the computers to deliver the packages. Wrong packages at right house. Right packages at wrong house. Not that we never make a mistake, but I'm guessing it would be less likely. Heck, we already seem to be smarter than the gps system. Not to mention edd.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I gave up taking off PAL labels and bringing them in. I either deiliver it, leave it for someone who can or call in and have a supe deal with it. I'm not gonna spend the rest of my career trying to correct the mistakes of this system. They never end. Any system that puts bad pals on perfectly good addresses is a failure. Fix it.

ol'browneye

I gave up taking off PAL labels and bringing them in. I either deiliver it, leave it for someone who can or call in and have a supe deal with it. I'm not gonna spend the rest of my career trying to correct the mistakes of this system. They never end. Any system that puts bad pals on perfectly good addresses is a failure. Fix it.
Amen to that last line brownmonster! Any system that causes more problems than it fixes IS a failure as far as I am concerned. All this system did was add one more opportunity for employees (who are human) to screw something up. I too have seen perfectly good shipping labels screwed up by a bad pal. I have seen perfectly good shipping labels "corrected" to accept a bad pal. But UPS has poured SOOOOO much money into PAS and touted it to the shareholders as the greatest thing since sliced bread (or DR) that they will never get rid of it! That would be admitting they ****** up!!!!! So we just have to accept its faults and deal with it because any concerns I have ever brought up have never been dealt with. :whiteflag:

ps I love your signature brownmonster "PAS All hype, no substance"

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I too have seen perfectly good shipping labels screwed up by a bad pal. I have seen perfectly good shipping labels "corrected" to accept a bad pal. But UPS has poured SOOOOO much money into PAS and touted it to the shareholders as the greatest thing since sliced bread (or DR) that they will never get rid of it!

That money that they have poured into the system, much of it has come from addy correction charges on perfectly good addresses. Many of them done by outside contractors that are judged by how many they can "find".

If you recall, the post office is now hitting on just that fact, that there are no hidden charges to ship with them, like there are with UPS and FDX.

d

Cementups

Box Monkey
For the longest time I kept having packages for 105 S. Ridge being PAL'ed to 105 E. Countryside. After a couple months of it I finally took the PAL off one and told them the issue. It was fixed the next day.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
IWORKASDIRECTED your packages were sent through the data aquistion station in your center. The Data Aquistion clerk then "forced" or assigned the street numbers to a range that he/she was able to access in the PAS system. These "forced" street addresses will be permenately assigned to this range unless your part time data supervisor clears it out of AddressManagementSystem (AMS). Please pull the label it has the ID of the clerk who is "forcing the packages" it maybe a new clerk who does not realize what a mess they are creating.

OL'Browneye your are correct on PAL labels that have the wrong address. The center team normally just needs to extend the street range or add odd or even numbers some times even adding the correct street name. Example is a new street was manually entered as Westlake and once the new postal streets are downloaded to our system it is really W Lake This fixes 98% of the problems. If they will not fix these easy items then our customers are really in trouble.

To both of you, if you really want to find out how many NIS PAL's are created on the pre-load ask the pre-load supervisors. They do not want these packages sitting around(because they do not know what truck to put it on) after the drivers leave so instead of the PAS Supervisor fixing the problem they have the DATA AQ clerks just assign it to a range to get it out of the building. We had that problem when we first started PAS two years ago, I got to the root cause of the problem real quick corrected it and now its rare that we have these issues.

BigBrownSanta

You would think that after 6-8 years of UPS having the PAS/EDD system that the implementation would be improved upon based on mistakes from previous implementations. I keep reading posts that seem to have the same problems our center had 4 years ago when we started PAS/EDD.