Anyone know why feeders doesn't have maps in the IVIS?

Thebrownblob

Anytime there is something obvious that would make the drivers workday better you get all these farts that chime in saying: well we have done without for 100 years. Man up buttercup. Ignore all technological change. Thats a great way to run the company into the ground. Exactly why amazon is eating our lunch.
Man up buttercup.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
7 pickups really is a lot. Most CPU runs have like 4 or 5 at the most.
He claims to be a 40 year driver. Pretty sure he should know his way around the area is my point. Not saying it wouldn’t take long or is too much work, but the whole thread is about maps on IVIS.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Sure would be handy.....

We were always told too distracting....so, it's not for pkg?

Anyone? Cost being obvious.
good question

my old Garmin has the maps but also gives you the directions verbally as you go.
no distraction with that. not always accurate for trucks though.

look at all the switch trucks that get caught on dead ends and out in the woods during snowstorms on old secondary roads.

ManInBrown

Maps aren’t needed. In feeders there’s one way to get from A to B. You struggle the first time and after that you know where it is. Majority of UPS building are right off of a major highway or interstate. The only way maps would come in handy would be for CPU’s. We’ve all struggled in the beginning going somewhere for the first time. The last thing we need are maps in the IVIS.

qdg2

Maps aren’t needed. In feeders there’s one way to get from A to B. You struggle the first time and after that you know where it is. Majority of UPS building are right off of a major highway or interstate. The only way maps would come in handy would be for CPU’s. We’ve all struggled in the beginning going somewhere for the first time. The last thing we need are maps in the IVIS.
Maps aren't needed. This statement is bizarre. The only way is for CPU? Really? Ever had to divert because a "major highway or interstate " is closed? Do you call a two lane FM/county rd a major highway.....?

Around here....we take lot's of those to hubs......

And Chief.....lot's of hubs are smack in the middle of town.....omg.

qdg2

He claims to be a 40 year driver. Pretty sure he should know his way around the area is my point. Not saying it wouldn’t take long or is too much work, but the whole thread is about maps on IVIS.
Never claimed to be a 40 year driver....I am a 40+ year employee that is a driver....having other jobs and classifications throughout my career. I spent 15 in pkg and 15 so far, in feeders to be exact. Having used many maps in both driving positions.

My "area" is a huge metro area. I haven't done a CPU in 3 years from this hub(never in fact). CPU's? Don't have a clue. This hub's CPU's are completely different than my last hub's....see? At my last hub, I often had to get directions because I'd never been to certain CPU's. How would I know? This notion is just devoid of reality.

This sort of reasoning is why I avoid any CPU run. Mgt thinks like you guys....."you are a UPS guy...a professional".......maybe....but I'm expected to find a place I've never been to....in 17:00 rush traffic....in feeder. Cold.

qdg2

good question

my old Garmin has the maps but also gives you the directions verbally as you go.
no distraction with that. not always accurate for trucks though.

look at all the switch trucks that get caught on dead ends and out in the woods during snowstorms on old secondary roads.
Sleepers must have a trucker GPS. Must. You had to depend on it. MUST. Instead of a camera....how about a nav screen? Showing traffic slows and such....
And say, why "struggle" at all? "Yes, we must make it as difficult as possible and then beat them up about it....."

brett636

Given the spotty nature of the hardware the IVIS runs on I don't think I want it trying to navigate for me as well. I could be wrong on this, but is it possible there are government regulations about ELDs not being allowed to be used for other purposes such as navigation? In feeders we only have a few stops on any given day, and I've never had an issue using my phone for navigation information or asking for a map from dispatch. CPU jobs are probably the only type of work where a navigation system makes sense, but in my area most of our city pickups are located in easy to navigate large warehouse parks with plenty of places to turn around if you miss your address. In sleepers I know of several teams that run with an official truck GPS nav unit, but since we go to the same buildings week after week I never saw the point of having one. Bottom line is we probably don't have them because its too much work for too little benefit. Just use good judgement and plan on where you will be going before you get there.

brett636

Sleepers must have a trucker GPS. Must. You had to depend on it. MUST. Instead of a camera....how about a nav screen? Showing traffic slows and such....

And say, why "struggle" at all? "Yes, we must make it as difficult as possible and then beat them up about it....."
I'm in sleepers and I've not seen a need for a dedicated GPS unit. Most of the time I don't even have my phone mapping program running because I know where I'm going. Perhaps during peak season when we get different schedules each week you may have a point, but even then a little planning in advance makes finding those new buildings pretty easy.

qdg2

I'm in sleepers and I've not seen a need for a dedicated GPS unit. Most of the time I don't even have my phone mapping program running because I know where I'm going. Perhaps during peak season when we get different schedules each week you may have a point, but even then a little planning in advance makes finding those new buildings pretty easy.
A little planning with what exactly? What YOU pay for? Ever broken down in sleepers and your whole schedule is re-racked?

See, you don't mind using your self-payed for phone...I do.

Hey, accept the in-cab cameras and pay for all the other stuff....go for it!

qdg2

Given the spotty nature of the hardware the IVIS runs on I don't think I want it trying to navigate for me as well. I could be wrong on this, but is it possible there are government regulations about ELDs not being allowed to be used for other purposes such as navigation? In feeders we only have a few stops on any given day, and I've never had an issue using my phone for navigation information or asking for a map from dispatch. CPU jobs are probably the only type of work where a navigation system makes sense, but in my area most of our city pickups are located in easy to navigate large warehouse parks with plenty of places to turn around if you miss your address. In sleepers I know of several teams that run with an official truck GPS nav unit, but since we go to the same buildings week after week I never saw the point of having one. Bottom line is we probably don't have them because its too much work for too little benefit. Just use good judgement and plan on where you will be going before you get there.
Oh?

Text messages? On the IVIS?

Ever see those?

Your statement is bizarre.

Integrity

Binge Poster
A little planning with what exactly? What YOU pay for? Ever broken down in sleepers and your whole schedule is re-racked?

I think using a personal cellphone for company business probably creates more problems than we want to admit.

Why would UPS pay for something that their employees will pay for?

brett636

I pay for it so I can use it when its convienent for me to do so. When its convenient for me not to use it I don't. Some drivers I know drop $600 on a trucker GPS just so they can navigate to the same buildings week after week. Seems like a waste of money to me, but its their money to blow.

brett636

I think using a personal cellphone for company business probably creates more problems than we want to admit.

Why would UPS pay for something that their employees will pay for?
Its only problematic if you let management dictate to you how to use a device you pay for. In my line of work I would rather call to inbound on my personal phone rather than the crappy ones at the inbound gates. Say someone in management demands that I call them for some reason then I am walking around the building looking for a phone to use even though there is a perfectly good one in my front pocket. Its there for my convenience, not theirs.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Never claimed to be a 40 year driver....I am a 40+ year employee that is a driver....having other jobs and classifications throughout my career. I spent 15 in pkg and 15 so far, in feeders to be exact. Having used many maps in both driving positions.

My "area" is a huge metro area. I haven't done a CPU in 3 years from this hub(never in fact). CPU's? Don't have a clue. This hub's CPU's are completely different than my last hub's....see? At my last hub, I often had to get directions because I'd never been to certain CPU's. How would I know? This notion is just devoid of reality.

This sort of reasoning is why I avoid any CPU run. Mgt thinks like you guys....."you are a UPS guy...a professional".......maybe....but I'm expected to find a place I've never been to....in 17:00 rush traffic....in feeder. Cold.
You really are a delicate little snowflake aren’t you

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Buys his own 2 wheeler
Won’t use his phone to keep from getting lost
SMDH

JonDoe

Ever had to divert because a "major highway or interstate " is closed? Do you call a two lane FM/county rd a major highway.....?
For Christ sake at that point a GPS is doing you no good you basically have to follow the flow of traffic, tractor trailers and all. How can you be so obtuse.