Anyone unhappy they Retired? Or are YA HAPPY?

twoweeled

No, not happy....update on being miserable....finally filed for divorce....29 years. There goes half of everything, but I still have golf and poker, and Korbel. Still smoking but taking chanting and 12 other pills day for COPD , high cholesterol and four herniated discs in my back. Had a standout in blocked artery last September and need new knees. Two biological kids and a stepwise who disowned me. Seven grandchildren ill never know. Mom in a home, age 90. So much for retirement. Now they threaten my pension. That's life.
I know this is easier to say than to live it. But as bad as that sounds, it could be worse. Although, I'm sure I wouldn't be any happier about it than you. Hang in there best you can. Good luck!

twoweeled

I knew a guy who retired with 25 in his early 50's. His wife's family had money so he didn't need to work.
I hate him! I don't need to know him.
1195a5ca40aa47d1af864cb52bc09241--the-emotions-feelings.jpg

twoweeled

As others have posted, why leave monies on the table. For me? It made sense to start taking retirement monies as soon as possible.
Every conference has different numbers when you retire sure, but working while I could be paid not to work, was simple math for my situation.

For most, life's choices are the biggest factor of when you retire. Add in health concerns from a very physically demanding job that a single slight injury can impair your ability to do the job as compared to most. The "whatta ya waitin for" comment rings a loud bell to some and to others its not even heard!

Gotta Love Choices!

So says the guy coming up in May 2017 of 12 years of being retired!
I have never understood the "oh so common" reponse of: Why retire, I'm still healthy?
Are these guys waiting to be unhealthy to retire?
headscratcher.jpg

twoweeled

just got my statement yesterday.

$1800 at 62 or $3200 at 70.

but it takes 18 years to break even from 62-80 . to make the difference.

i'm taking it at 62.
I'm coming up on my SS time in the next few months. I'm living fine on the pension. I considered (considering) not taking SS right away, but the CPA says don't even think about it. I think I'm gonna take it at 62. I was considering waiting another year for another 8%, but I'm told it may not be another 8% until after full retirement age. I think it'll be 62.

twoweeled

I'm confused.

You have told us that you have been getting along just fine with just your pension and have not had to touch your investments.

Now you are saying that you want to take SS early.

Which is it?
Personally, I'm in that exact same boat. I don't need it, but it's just the thought I may not live that long life to break even if I wait till 67. Thought is, what If I wait till 67 and die at 70? Along with sad, I think I'd feel stupid if death were not immediate. I think it's along the same lines as these guys who work for 45 years so they can triple dip. Might be okay if you leave to 100 years healthy. But what a stupid move if you retire for 3 healthy years and health declines rapidly to death.
Just my thought.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I'm coming up on my SS time in the next few months. I'm living fine on the pension. I considered (considering) not taking SS right away, but the CPA says don't even think about it. I think I'm gonna take it at 62. I was considering waiting another year for another 8%, but I'm told it may not be another 8% until after full retirement age. I think it'll be 62.
Gonna take it at 62 also. Take the questions out of it and you have your answer . The day they will pay you , whether it is a pension , social security , whatever , take the money and run. We can ask what if , what about , if I wait , all day." Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As of our last meeting my Edward Jones adviser and I have agreed that I will wait until I am at least 67 before I start taking SS. Between my pension, 401k and any income that I generate during retirement, I shouldn't have to change those plans; in fact, I am hoping that I can wait until I am 70 before I have to start taking it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Personally, I'm in that exact same boat. I don't need it, but it's just the thought I may not live that long life to break even if I wait till 67. Thought is, what If I wait till 67 and die at 70? Along with sad, I think I'd feel stupid if death were not immediate. I think it's along the same lines as these guys who work for 45 years so they can triple dip. Might be okay if you leave to 100 years healthy. But what a stupid move if you retire for 3 healthy years and health declines rapidly to death.
Just my thought.

I deliver to our local SS office and am planning on taking advantage of that relationship by asking them for their advice in regard as to when I should start taking it.

badpal

I can tell we have a lot of stock Guru's here. GE starting to break a 52 week low. I just see little in their pipeline. any thoughts on this one?
Rock solid. Good dividend, wont get you rich quick, but a fellow can sleep at night .Hopefully new CEO coming in can help because it aint did much in years.

oldupsman

Just my thought.
Gonna take it at 62 also. Take the questions out of it and you have your answer . The day they will pay you , whether it is a pension , social security , whatever , take the money and run. We can ask what if , what about , if I wait , all day." Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." - Lennon

I waited until I was 65. Once you hit 65 you go on Medicare. Now they take your Medicare payment directly from your
social security. If you're not collecting your social security you need to send the government a check every 3 months to
cover your Medicare until you start collecting your social security.

I didn't want to do that. By having your Medicare taken directly from your social security check you never really
miss it anyway. So I sort of got the best of both. I got the 8% boost a year for 3 years and then at 65 i started collecting
and had the Medicare paid for out of my check.

Yes i know there is always the health issue. We can all fall over dead tomorrow. But my health is excellent, Thank you God,
and waiting for those 3 years gave me a nice little boost. No one ever mentions collecting at 65. They always talk
about 66 or 67 or 70. To me 65 gives you the best of both worlds. A little boost and never having to send in
a check to cover your Medicare.

twoweeled

Allright! You're the one I wanna speak too.
1. early SS was 62 for you, and 67 was full retirement for you? You say, you DID receive the 8% boost each year between 62 to 65 when you started collecting?
I'm seriously considering this. I can't even get an answer from the SS office. They just quote me stuff that they are not sure what it means.

twoweeled

Very Good!! Reminds me of a quote I heard (I think in a movie).

"If you wanna make God laugh, tell him what your plans are".

Sorta scary to me

twoweeled

I deliver to our local SS office and am planning on taking advantage of that relationship by asking them for their advice in regard as to when I should start taking it.
Wife and I actually went into the office to discuss different strategy for our SS. I may as well discuss SS strategy with the brick cap on my block wall. I hope your experience is better than mine.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Wife and I actually went into the office to discuss different strategy for our SS. I may as well discuss SS strategy with the brick cap on my block wall. I hope your experience is better than mine.

I am hoping to take advantage of my "in".

My EJ guy told me that we will also be going after part of my ex's SS without affecting her benefit.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Just my thought.
You can also take it at 62 , invest the money in the Vanguard S&P 500 Index fund( or something else, real estate ,whatever) , reinvest the dividends, and perhaps do better than Uncle Sam. Plus you have the money if you need it instead of waiting 8 years.

anyway, that is what we are planning to do since we get along pretty well on the pension. haven't even touched the 401k yet in the 2 years I have been out.