Anyone unhappy they Retired? Or are YA HAPPY?

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
The key words are "Enjoy life while still Young" That was my thinking when I walked ( not limped) out the door at 55. Bought an RV traveled all over out west here, been to Alaska 2 times on 3 month trips, sleeping at the Arctic Circle. Doing all this while I can still tie my shoes and get dressed without any help. The years go fast once retired, I am glad I did what I did so far as I would hate to say years from now if I retired later in life, "I Should've, Could've, would've but I didn't. Now I am older and wish I did these things while I had the chance. Think of it this way, retire at 65 instead of 55, average life for us guys is maybe 76 or so? Think of how fast months seem to go buy...........at 65 that leaves you 132 of them if you live that long. Something to think about, I already have 111 months in the bank since I left behind me, months as you know once used are gone forever, and that folks is a long time[/QUO

Catatonic

Nine Lives
While there are certainly no guarantees, the general consensus among financial advisers is to wait as long as you can before starting to draw SS. My current plan is to start collecting at 67 but I hope to be in a position to wait until I am 70.
That is an analysis that should be performed on each individual/couple.
People are living longer and the Government uses too low of an actuarial age to die.
If one can see from their family history that most die earlier than late 70's, then they should probably start at 62 or ASAP.
With you planning to be a 90 year grouchy old fart, starting at 67 or even 70 makes sense.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That is an analysis that should be performed on each individual/couple.
People are living longer and the Government uses too low of an actuarial age to die.
If one can see from their family history that most die earlier than late 70's, then they should probably start at 62 or ASAP.
With you planning to be a 90 year grouchy old fart, starting at 67 or even 70 makes sense.

My Edward Jones guy actually plugged "90 year grouchy old fart" in to his charts to determine when I should start drawing SS.

The Milkman

How did you manage to do that?

When in Az we put a deposit on the home we wanted to buy, signed all the papers etc, then headed back to Jersey. So the process began while in transit back to Jersey. When back in Jersey later that month (Jan) we then listed our home for sale the next month (Feb 14th), just so happened that our Az home closed on the same day we listed our Jersey home. We had some offers on our Jersey home,and about month later took an offer, and we wanted to be back out in AZ around the 1st of May to move in. So rather hang around another few days and wait for the Jersey home closing, the Lawyer said we could leave and he would mail us any paperwork that would be needed to sign and send a check if there was anything due us. So we packed our truck, trailer and headed to AZ on April 26th, arrived on May 2nd 2008. And that's how it happened folks

Last edited:

ski or die

Ski or Die
The stress that the company puts on its employees, each additional year you work, I wonder how many days or years that removes from your life.

clean hairy

When in Az we put a deposit on the home we wanted to buy, signed all the papers etc, then headed back to Jersey. So the process began while in transit back to Jersey. When back in Jersey later that month (Jan) we then listed our home for sale the next month (Feb 14th), just so happened that our Az home closed on the same day we listed our Jersey home. We had some offers on our Jersey home,and about month later took an offer, and we wanted to be back out in AZ around the 1st of May to move in. So rather hang around another few days and wait for the Jersey home closing, the Lawyer said we could leave and he would mail us any paperwork that would be needed to sign and send a check if there was anything due us. So we packed our truck, trailer and headed to AZ on April 26th, arrived on May 2nd 2008. And that's how it happened folks
You didn't suggest he send any paperwork UPS?????

oldngray

nowhere special
happy happy.gif

gear-guy

Retired for 1 month now and I am enjoying everyday. I did not know I could feel this good. It's great if we want to go somewhere we can leave on any day or time that we want. I have adjusted faster than I thought and do not regret one second on it. Just think, if I want to fish, golf or have sex on a tuesday I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shiftless

Retired for 1 month now and I am enjoying everyday. I did not know I could feel this good. It's great if we want to go somewhere we can leave on any day or time that we want. I have adjusted faster than I thought and do not regret one second on it. Just think, if I want to fish, golf or have sex on a tuesday I can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats! You cant explain the emotions that run through our heads when we retire from the Big Brown Machine. We have to express these emotions by Fishing, Surfing, Motorcycling, Golfing, Photography, Wrenching on your favorite thing, all this paced out doing what ever we want, when we want.

Now to get the occasional UPS work dreams to cease will be your next obstacle.

Ms.PacMan

While there are certainly no guarantees, the general consensus among financial advisers is to wait as long as you can before starting to draw SS. My current plan is to start collecting at 67 but I hope to be in a position to wait until I am 70.

You should google this Dave. I thought I had read that if you're single collecting at 62 or 70 is a wash. Married couples benefit from waiting until 70.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You should google this Dave. I thought I had read that if you're single collecting at 62 or 70 is a wash. Married couples benefit from waiting until 70.

The thought process is the same whether you are married or single.

The math is quite simple---the earlier you draw the less you get each month.

There is an 8% increase per year for every year that you wait.

downtime8763

Retired 3/1/2011 four pt yrs, 33 ft, last five as a 22.3 (best move ever) . Having started as a senior(18yrs old) in HS 5/5/74 turning 55 in feb 2011 and working in a tool and die shop until an ft opening came up as well as a dairy farm in early years of hs. One just has to tell they retired from UPS and job offers come poring in ,you can drive a stick correct ?. I help a local farmer with EVERYTHING as well as pt employee with my township I live in. My wife of almost 40 yrs take our camper to see or daughter in Fl. as well as a 4,200 mile trip a couple of years ago. I pull my Taho boat behind my 5th wheel with ease furthest being Lake D'Arbonne, La. What I'm really saying is IF you want to keep buzzy or on sit on your duff its' your choice ,one can volunteer about anywhere as well. I help with a food run for a couple food pantry's when needed so the book is open !! Enjoy as last I looked our birth certificates do not have a expiration date on them so it can end at anytime. :)

What'dyabringmetoday???

I just hope that you aren't having sex with a fish. That is , of course, unless you want to. Lol.

walk it off

Unhappy cause?
Did you retire to young? Too Late? Do you miss the daily get up and go to work thing? Find out living with out a congested drive to work leaves you feeling empty? Do you miss the first look at your package car bubbling over with packages for everyone but you? Do you see where you coulda and shoulda done thing's different while you were working? Miss that certain Employee or Management person at work?

OR?

Happy Cause!
You plan your day? Wake when you want? Eat a dinner at a table like a normal human being at a decent hour? Happy you can get things done on your time frame? Found there is not enough time to Golf or work on your Hot Rods, Planes, Motorcycles, and Boats? Not wear anything Brown? Able to go to the bathroom with out having to figure out where one is? You see light at the end of a tunnel with your name in it? You get to enjoy watching drivers deliver x-mas packages all year long?

WHAT SAY YOU?
Not having a steering wheel in front of you at lunch. Am building a metal shelf to nap on. Was thinking Lands End or Target bag for pillow.