ArmyVet88

I didn't realize you could still retire with only 20 years in the military. I thought they had raised that to at least 25. I never knew anybody who left the military with 10 years that didn't regret it and wish they would have finished their 20. UPS was the same. I know a half dozen guys who quit at 5 or 10 years that have told me later (after they saw me retire at 53) that they wished they would have stayed at UPS.
I hate that i had to leave but its going in the wrong direction. Punish the strong reward the weak....

john chesney

So I served 10 years in the military and decided I didnt want to subject myself and family to 10 more. I started working at UPS as a seasonal personal vehicle driver and got hired as pre load/utility after peak. They are offering me a PT supervisor position with the promice of getting hired on as a FT driver with the 6:1 deal as soon as they can find someone else. I have 4 people in front of me that need to go on packet but it could be faster this way. My question is.....is it a trap and i would be giving away my seniority for nothing and could i get it in writing that they must hold up their end of the deal?
Get it in writing and I’d bet my retirement you won’t

Snack

Quick question: If he were to go PT supervisor, and then get the 1 in 6 driver job, would he be able to rejoin the union at that point?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Quick question: If he were to go PT supervisor, and then get the 1 in 6 driver job, would he be able to rejoin the union at that point?

Yes. Seniority date will be the day he starts driving, assuming he makes book. But vacation/time off accrual will be from original date of hire.

CanOSup

One of them
You can snag an outside hire as you described, but there is no guarantee you will get the first one that comes available. Then you'll have to wait for 6 more inside hires before it comes around again. I guess just flip a coin?

As for going reserve/natl guard, talk to a recruiter, but act like you aren't sure you really want to join back up. Wait a few months, when he has a quota to meet he will offer you the best deal he can.

The company has no reason to make someone a PT supervisor just to make them a driver...There is no benefit in that. You would not get it in writing, and if you did it would require you go into full time management rather than staying a Driver. If you are looking to be a Union employee, put in the time like everyone else.

National Guard isnt a bad gig. 10 years is halfway. Thats where I am at and its almost a no-brainer. See you in another 10!

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The company has no reason to make someone a PT supervisor just to make them a driver...There is no benefit in that. You would not get it in writing, and if you did it would require you go into full time management rather than staying a Driver. If you are looking to be a Union employee, put in the time like everyone else.

National Guard isnt a bad gig. 10 years is halfway. Thats where I am at and its almost a no-brainer. See you in another 10!

I had a part timer turn sup snag an outside hire slot right before me after less than year with the company and me with 7 years in. It's possible, I just wouldn't count on it.

Tony Q

So I served 10 years in the military and decided I didnt want to subject myself and family to 10 more. I started working at UPS as a seasonal personal vehicle driver and got hired as pre load/utility after peak. They are offering me a PT supervisor position with the promice of getting hired on as a FT driver with the 6:1 deal as soon as they can find someone else. I have 4 people in front of me that need to go on packet but it could be faster this way. My question is.....is it a trap and i would be giving away my seniority for nothing and could i get it in writing that they must hold up their end of the deal?
I would not trust them. Thank you for your service.

Ghost in the Darkness

Don't trust hr or management. Thats where the crappy cover drivers, the lazy, and those who fail their DoT physicals try to go. Management is just a place to hide at UPS, the boots on the ground is what gets the work done. They will string you along and keep telling you driving is just around the corner. You will get sick of the lies, don't learn the hard way.
Thank you for your service!!!

Edd O'Rion

I would refuse the promotion. Even if they let you try to be a driver, you could wash out. If you’re PT, you go back to your job. I heard if you were a Sup, you get terminated.