Article 18 Section 1 Employees' Rights-Equipment, Vehicles and Conditions

Integrity

Binge Poster
There was another discussion thread that I feel needs to be further addressed in this Union Issue forum:

An employee was concerned about the dirty conditions in the trucks and the facilities.

The contract states that all first line trailers will be swept on a daily basis.

It also states that the package cars and tractors will be kept clean and sanitary.

Please help me with your interpretation of this language and your experience with this being honored by the company and challenged by your local union when violations occur.

Sincerely,
I

To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue

I've heard mechanics complaining about feeder drivers and package drivers and even air drivers wiping their boogers on the seats. This should never ever happen.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It also states that the package cars and tractors will be kept clean and sanitary.

This is a shot in the dark based on experience, but, I think this means the back door will be kept open on the way to the car wash so a few packing peanuts can fly out?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I think first line trailers are ones seen by the customer. Pickup trailers are swept at my building. Anything else never sees a broom.
I always wipe down my tractor.

UPSmechanicinblue

The contract states that all first line trailers will be swept on a daily basis

What are first line trailers? Sweeping them out doesn't ever happen in my area. Only thing here they will go without washing the cars on occasion and union steward will threaten a grievance. They get cleaned after but never persuaded.

10 point

Looks like a good subcommittee investigation issue.

Especially with warm weather ahead.

Put 100 man hours into it and maybe someone will get the point.

Packmule

I used to carry paper towels and cleaner so I could wipe out the dust in my p700 rural route cab. But there is no way I could keep up. Now I just wipe off the speedometer and fuel gauge and let the carwasher clean the rest about once every two weeks. If the insides of the windows get too bad I might dry wipe them down too.
In mid summer out on gravel roads I now wear a paper dust mask. It's bad.

Z

ZQXC

I used to carry paper towels and cleaner so I could wipe out the dust in my p700 rural route cab. But there is no way I could keep up. Now I just wipe off the speedometer and fuel gauge and let the carwasher clean the rest about once every two weeks. If the insides of the windows get too bad I might dry wipe them down too.

Years ago I would cover a route with so many dirt roads the pkgs. loaded on the floor near the back of the truck would not scan until you tilted them to let the dirt slide off.

10 point

You have something called 'carwash'?