fedx

Extra Large Package
You'd have to start inside like everyone else... and that will probably be a physical and mental adjustment (depending on the shift you work and what your job is now). You'll work in the middle of the night (unless you work twilight)... and pretty much be a box moving machine for at least a year for very few hours, very little money, and no holidays, vacation, or insurance for that year. Depending on where you work, you'll wait anywhere from a year to 8 - 10 years (in smaller buildings) to get the chance to try and become a driver. You have to go to training, and then go through your trial period. Lots of people don't make it.

That said, you can definitely do it at 36... it's entirely dependent on your ability to survive on next to nothing (or work 2 jobs) until a spot opens up, your ability to put up with UPS's nonsense, and what the people in your life are willing to sacrifice in order for you to get where you want (and even more so once you get there).

It's really shameful that UPS subsidizes the higher paying driving positions off the package handlers pay. You have drivers making $30+ an hour because UPS has a whole underclass of underpaid people loading/unloading boxes for $10/hr. And they know they can get away with it because they offer the "opportunity" to maybe someday become of driver......if you're lucky. So you break your back for years making McDonald's wages all because you "might" someday get a chance to be a driver. I don't know if package handlers are in the union, but I wouldn't pay any dues until I would become a driver. The union isn't representing you-pay wise at least. If UPS pays drivers $30+ per hour then they should pay package handlers AT LEAST $18/hr to be consistent. Everyone makes great money at UPS, except package handlers. Their horrible pay subsidizes the great pay of everyone else at UPS.

The Driver

I drive.
It's really shameful that UPS subsidizes the higher paying driving positions off the package handlers pay. You have drivers making $30+ an hour because UPS has a whole underclass of underpaid people loading/unloading boxes for $10/hr. And they know they can get away with it because they offer the "opportunity" to maybe someday become of driver......if you're lucky. So you break your back for years making McDonald's wages all because you "might" someday get a chance to be a driver. I don't know if package handlers are in the union, but I wouldn't pay any dues until I would become a driver. The union isn't representing you-pay wise at least. If UPS pays drivers $30+ per hour then they should pay package handlers AT LEAST $18/hr to be consistent. Everyone makes great money at UPS, except package handlers. Their horrible pay subsidizes the great pay of everyone else at UPS.

I’d like to see the package handlers make $15 starting out with benefits starting after 6 months instead of a year. I want $37.50 an hour as a driver with raises an keep my healthcare.

Indecisi0n

In my eyes part timers need to show up to some meetings. They part timers out number everyone but when it comes to showing up for things maybe two show up. You guys have more strength in numbers than any of us. If it was put to good use I'm sure you would get a bump.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

fedx

Extra Large Package
In my eyes part timers need to show up to some meetings. They part timers out number everyone but when it comes to showing up for things maybe two show up. You guys have more strength in numbers than any of us. If it was put to good use I'm sure you would get a bump.
Maybe they would show up if they were paid decent. If you're making $30/hr, you're more willing to do what your company asks (like showing up to meetings), but if you're only making $10/hr (McDonald's wages), you're not as likely to be so enthusiastic. Question-are the package handlers part of the union at UPS? If not, why not? The union would be much stronger with the additional members. If they are in the union already, how did they get screwed over in pay like that? I wouldn't pay any union dues until I got a driver job. I wouldn't pay any dues if I'm in a $10/hr position. Once I got into a high paying $30/hr job, then I'd gladly pay dues.

Indecisi0n

Maybe they would show up if they were paid decent. If you're making $30/hr, you're more willing to do what your company asks (like showing up to meetings), but if you're only making $10/hr (McDonald's wages), you're not as likely to be so enthusiastic. Question-are the package handlers part of the union at UPS? If not, why not? The union would be much stronger with the additional members. If they are in the union already, how did they get screwed over in pay like that? I wouldn't pay any union dues until I got a driver job. I wouldn't pay any dues if I'm in a $10/hr position. Once I got into a high paying $30/hr job, then I'd gladly pay dues.
I stopped reading after your first sentence. Stop making excuses.

Poncho2346

What I do during my down time
Am 42 started at Ups in late August of this year they sent me to school in Wichita end of October I now do preload and driver Air on Saturday's so no its never too late

Babagounj

Strength through joy
If you think about it ; the union loves the high turnover rate of p/t's .
It's a money making machine for the unions .
All those dues keep coming in .
Every p/t that quits loses all the hours ( $$ ) already paid into the pension fund .
Most never stay long enough to be vested in the pensions , so that like free money ( to the pension funds ).
All friend/t's should be thanking an p/t who quits for their service towards the friend/t's pension .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Once as a p/t , almost all of my shift turned out for a union meeting on an upcoming contract .We had some great ideas to speak about. Unfortunately the Union Board refused any of us a chance to speak and basically pushed us aside .

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!

Or UPS could follow the Fedex model and screw over employees for fun.

Poncho2346

Every p/t that quits loses all the hours ( $$ ) already paid into the pension fund .
Most never stay long enough to be vested in the pensions , so that like free money ( to the pension funds ).
All friend/t's should be thanking an p/t who quits for their service towards the friend/t's pension.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poncho2346

K well i spent 16 years at my last job custom cabinets and flooring all I got was a check the ones that can't make it here just can't handle the work it is some serious labor unloading 2400 packages per hour or loading 4 Ups trucks with packages I am new to all this union but am here to work

fedx

Extra Large Package
All friend/t's should be thanking an p/t who quits for their service towards the friend/t's pension .

Here is the fake "Teamster brotherhood response" vs the "real response" towards their fellow employee:

UPS-"You making $30/hr is dependent on package handlers only making $10/hr. To pay them $18/hr, we'd have to cut your pay to $23/hr."
Teamster- "Well if it helps out a fellow Teamster brother, I'll do it! Sign me up! Workers of the world unite!"

Now reality:
UPS-"You making $30/hr is dependent on package handlers only making $10/hr. To pay them $18/hr, we'd have to cut your pay to $28/hr."
Teamster- "Oh really? Well screw them then! Sucks to be them!"

Nobody cares about the package handler underclass working for next to nothing.

The Driver

I drive.
Here is the fake "Teamster brotherhood response" vs the "real response" towards their fellow employee:

UPS-"You making $30/hr is dependent on package handlers only making $10/hr. To pay them $18/hr, we'd have to cut your pay to $23/hr."
Teamster- "Well if it helps out a fellow Teamster brother, I'll do it! Sign me up! Workers of the world unite!"

Now reality:
UPS-"You making $30/hr is dependent on package handlers only making $10/hr. To pay them $18/hr, we'd have to cut your pay to $28/hr."

PTers have to care enough to speak up. It's not complicated.

Nj187

Not at all too old. A man at my hub (good dude) laid off after 29 years from old job. Started May as a casual. He’s 50. Made regular/fulltime October right before peak. Laid off for only three weeks and was assured before laid off will get called back. He sure did. Parisppany NJ Troy Hills hub.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Now reality:

You haven't the first clue what you're talking about, so stop with the crocodile tears for people who likely have it better than you. Yes, part timers are union, the meetings mentioned are union meetings, not company meetings. At some point in history drivers loaded their own cars (wasn't around then, just passing on what I've heard) and the part time loading positions were created to cut full time driving jobs. We all worked our way up through part time jobs just to watch the pay progression extended with each new contract. All of us, who aren't outside hires, put in our time and paid our dues, and you expect us to just give away what we worked hard for? Screw that! I'll have been subsidizing driver wages for 11 years, now it's my turn to get paid.

There are several part timers in my center who still make more than me, and they have the ability to keep their health insurance after retirement with enough time in. UPS has pushed the envelope too far with new hire compensation, and they are paying for it with high turn over. I am willing to limit any future raises to cost of living in order to help improve part timers compensation, but I'm not giving up what I've spent over a decade of my life working towards.

You guys need to unionize already, then, at least you might get a clue, and maybe better compensation.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Starting back in the 70's , p/t got $7.65/hr with a $2 increase after a year or so .
Dues were $25 buy in and $12/month .
Guaranteed 4 hrs shifts .
We were making just about what a friend/T driver did .
It was in the mid 80's that the two tier pay scale began .
Even back then the company bribed everyone to vote their way with $1,000 friend/t and $500 P/t .
In case anyone is interested that cash was taxed at the higher gift tax than normal wages , 56% .So $1000 = +/- $500 and $ 500 = around $ 260 , depending on local deductions .
Then the company switched over to offering the lump sum instead of a yearly rate increases, again everyone was hit with the gift tax .

High turnovers has always been a problem for UPS since before I started there .

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
To start a career with UPS? I'd want to shoot for a driver position eventually and as I understand there is a long wait list.

I've been reading on here that a lot of times people don't make driver until their 30s 40s or even later.

So at 36, would I even have a chance?

I believe I'm physically capable. I'm the type that prefers physical labor over a desk job.
Are you bow legged or do you have straight legs. It will make a difference