Attendance Policy Question

Rodrigo52

Started working as a package handler about a month ago, I have called off twice due to illness and after arriving from work today I receive the news that my grandmother had passed away, in order to make it to the funeral in another state, my family plans on taking a flight tonight and I am supposed to work tomorrow. I have looked over the package handler attendance handbook and saw that after 3 unscheduled absences, I am at risk of being terminated. I of course have no PTO since I am still under my 90 days. Is there anyway I could call HR and possibly work something out? Would calling off now (the night before) benefit me at all compared to calling off tomorrow morning before my shift? Any advice is appreciated, thank you.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Started working as a package handler about a month ago, I have called off twice due to illness and after arriving from work today I receive the news that my grandmother had passed away, in order to make it to the funeral in another state, my family plans on taking a flight tonight and I am supposed to work tomorrow. I have looked over the package handler attendance handbook and saw that after 3 unscheduled absences, I am at risk of being terminated. I of course have no PTO since I am still under my 90 days. Is there anyway I could call HR and possibly work something out? Would calling off now (the night before) benefit me at all compared to calling off tomorrow morning before my shift? Any advice is appreciated, thank you.
Express or Ground?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
You should just call off, this probably is not the job for you anyways. I'm sure there are other places to work.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Explain your situation to management and see if they have a heart...I doubt it. Never put this shathole in front of your family. McDonald's probably has better pay and benefits. FedEx sucks, and if you loved your grandmother, go to the funeral.

!Retired!

McDonald's probably has better pay and benefits.
My step-daughter started at McDonald's 2 weeks ago. McDonald's here start at $9.15 for 3 months and then evaluation can raise that to around $10.50, handlers start at around $13.00.

Federal law states as long as you've been with the company 30 days, you are entitled to bereavement time.
Employment Standards | Employment Standards | Bereavement Leave
Talk to your manager and let them know your grandmother died and you need to leave town for 3 days. Just let them know what day your leaving and what day you'll be back.

dezguy

My second month in, many moons ago, my wife (then gf) step dad died. I didn't have bereavement leave because I was only 60 days in and a casual. As a result, they wouldn't give me the time off and I had to send my wife (gf) to the funeral alone.

That should have been a big warning sign but I was drinking the kool aid by the jug back then.

Last edited:

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
My second month in, many moons ago, my wife (the gf) step dad died. I didn't have bereavement leave because I was only 60 days in and a casual. As a result, they wouldn't give me the time off and I had to send my wife (gf) to the funeral alone.

That should have been a big warning sign but I was drinking the kool aid by the jug back then.
Your SM must have been a real jerk. They could have at least given you LWOP.

dezguy

Your SM must have been a real jerk. They could have at least given you LWOP.
Operational needs, that's what I was told.

My gf was so pissed off, she almost broke up with me. Hindsight, I should have told them to shove it but I thought I was being a team player. Certainly won't make that mistake again, now that I know that this "people company" is anything but.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

My gf was so :censored2: off, she almost broke up with me. Hindsight, I should have told them to shove it but I thought I was being a team player. Certainly won't make that mistake again, now that I know that this "people company" is anything but.
Yep. The only people that count are the fat cats at the top.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

My gf was so :censored2: off, she almost broke up with me. Hindsight, I should have told them to shove it but I thought I was being a team player. Certainly won't make that mistake again, now that I know that this "people company" is anything but.
Geez that really sucks.

More like operational greed.

Southeast Hoss

McDonalds you will have a back.
FedEx your back will be gone and no pay- good luck.

My step-daughter started at McDonald's 2 weeks ago. McDonald's here start at $9.15 for 3 months and then evaluation can raise that to around $10.50, handlers start at around $13.00.

Federal law states as long as you've been with the company 30 days, you are entitled to bereavement time.
Employment Standards | Employment Standards | Bereavement Leave
Talk to your manager and let them know your grandmother died and you need to leave town for 3 days. Just let them know what day your leaving and what day you'll be back.

Oldfart

My second month in, many moons ago, my wife (then gf) step dad died. I didn't have bereavement leave because I was only 60 days in and a casual. As a result, they wouldn't give me the time off and I had to send my wife (gf) to the funeral alone.

WHY would you get bereavement for a girlfriends step dad? If you aren't married to a person, you shouldn't get bereavement to attend their stepdads funeral.

Oldfart

Absolutely correct; however, the right thing would have been to let him use his own time to be there for his gf.
No doubt. LWOP or vacation but no bereavement. I can't tell you how many funerals I have attended on my lunch break. Get some help on deliveries and take a long lunch. I know that only helps if it is a local service. We had a courier pass away just last year. We had a huge procession of Fedex vans at his service. His wife scheduled the service so we could take our lunch and pay our respects.