Attention Couriers: The End is Nigh!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Then there is NO reason for you to be on this board unless all you are is a troll.

I worked many years in varying capacities. Whether or not I belong on this board isn't for you to decide, is it?

And besides, I posted that I'll be returning on Monday, May 4th. I guess you missed that one.

TNT Frosty

I might run some daily operations ideas past my drivers but I can’t imagine asking their advice for business decisions like equipment purchases. Why would they have any insight on that?

I agree and slightly disagree; depends on the person, and what interests them, and where they have come from, also, its a big numbers game, ive had people tell me to friend off saying I know nothing about transport, or logistics, and yet their choices were good to no-one, not even the bottom $$$, as they end up spending more to keep it going, then to listen to the people in said industry, and who travel and see how different places setup and run.. (another reason why I would love to work in the USA for a few years, to learn how you guys run and how you guys make it work)

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I might run some daily operations ideas past my drivers but I can’t imagine asking their advice for business decisions like equipment purchases. Why would they have any insight on that?

I don't know either, but Cactus and others seem to think that they have all the answers.

Oldfart

Express has a huge Aircraft Acquisition dept that does nothing but deal with planes. There is no way any 1 person makes decisions on what planes to buy, what vans to buy, what equipment to buy. I am sure different people give input and a decision is made based on their input.

Oldfart

I worked many years in varying capacities. Whether or not I belong on this board isn't for you to decide, is it?

And besides, I posted that I'll be returning on Monday, May 4th. I guess you missed that one.
I saw where the Hub had a handler job fair. Surprised they delayed your start so long.

TNT Frosty

I don't know either, but Cactus and others seem to think that they have all the answers.

My answers come from learning off others, and alot of research thanks to #google# .. but I do like to talk numbers, and understand people, its like customer service, once you understand, life is easier... quicker loading/unloading.. even higher chance of drop and hook, rather then wait.

TNT Frosty

Strangely enough, most of the business suggestions that come from frontline employees are incredibly self-serving.

Key word being most... ;)
Sure, I would like for a freightliner argosy, rather then a merc, but, we already have a number of merc trucks, and arnt going to get more till the lease is up on them all.. or, if we down under may start doing interstate line-haul (I hope we do)
I say hope, but not only for myself, but even as a business plan, it would save money in the long run as well, rather paying $3000 a night to outside companies, its just the cost of running the trucks, and the wage $27AUD an hour... cost on a guess using company drivers, would be around $2500 a night... so a $500 saving, per b-double... per night...

Oldfart

Strangely enough, most of the business suggestions that come from frontline employees are incredibly self-serving.
So you have seen some of the suggestions that the executives get from frontline employees? Can you give some examples?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Just so you know where I’m coming from, one of my SM’s asked for cost saving suggestions after 9-11 and dot.com.

I made several to management.

I was laughed at by same, told that couldn’t be done.

Until it was.

And credit was given to guess who?

TNT Frosty

Just so you know where I’m coming from, one of my SM’s asked for cost saving suggestions after 9-11 and dot.com.

Until it was.

Thanks Fred; that Holiday was great, dont mention it ;) lols

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
I worked many years in varying capacities.
I suppose none of them involved getting your hands dirty.

I may not have ALL the answers but I do know that May 4th falls on a Saturday this year. Ha, ha! Are you returning as some p/t cargo handler or something?

Last edited:

dezguy

Until it was.

Same here. Was told it couldn't be done. A year later, the exact thing I suggested was programmed into the ppad, nationwide.

When I asked my manager if I was going to receive and recognition for it, I was told they would get back to me and never heard about it again.

It's the last suggestion I've given.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Same here. Was told it couldn't be done. A year later, the exact thing I suggested was programmed into the ppad, nationwide.

When I asked my manager if I was going to receive and recognition for it, I was told they would get back to me and never heard about it again.

”We’ll get back to you” is Memphis stock wordage for no/you’re screwd/we don’t care.

Oldfart

Did you ever consider the same suggestion was made by someone else earlier than you.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Corporate focus is centered on the courier and minimizing that expense, ignoring many elephants frolicking in the boardroom. I would dare say self-serving isn’t restricted to frontline employees.