Back to the Mariana Trench

AB831

I thought the minimum was 14. Glad I’m wrong. Apparently, the SM is limiting PT to four hours/day and FT to eight. We really have too many routes spreading out stops too thin.

Full time would mean waking up at 6 am, which runs counter to my DNA. And they could require me to work extra days and hours, something they can only request of part time.
Don’t worry. Just wait a day or two and Fat Freddy’s Famous Late Freight will have everyone in the station banking overtime regardless of if they want it or not.

Serf

Imagine someone who has no clue about your route pulling for your truck. You get back from offloading and have to spend 20 minutes setting up your freight to figure out where everything is. Lates!

MassWineGuy

Long ago I was a runner at UPS during Peak. A driver I rode with spent 15-20 minutes each day organizing his freight and cursing the pre loader.

zeev

Valet is a plan to get high seniority employees to leave change schedules over load routes cause lates make life miserable, no buy out just force out.

whenIgetthere

Imagine someone who has no clue about your route pulling for your truck. You get back from offloading and have to spend 20 minutes setting up your freight to figure out where everything is. Lates!
Used to do a route for many years where I worked the dock sort. The route that loaded my truck was 4x10, every package was in the right place every day the main guy worked, if he didn't know an address, he would leave it on my dock shelf. I'd get to my truck, scan 200 or so packages in a few minutes, and be out the door. Problem was, when the fifth wheel or swings loaded it, it was an absolute CF. Eventually I just told the fifth and swings to just stack it all behind the truck and on the tail, was easier for me that way.

yadig

Used to do a route for many years where I worked the dock sort. The route that loaded my truck was 4x10, every package was in the right place every day the main guy worked, if he didn't know an address, he would leave it on my dock shelf. I'd get to my truck, scan 200 or so packages in a few minutes, and be out the door. Problem was, when the fifth wheel or swings loaded it, it was an absolute CF. Eventually I just told the fifth and swings to just stack it all behind the truck and on the tail, was easier for me that way.
Picky, picky.

Bald1der

Ok. But on paper, what’s it supposed to do?
It automates the scheduling for sort positions and start times to balance out hours. Some days you’ll be in at 730 to unload the cans, some days at 8 for doc sort, some days you’ll be in at 840 and go straight to your truck.

Bald1der

Long ago I was a runner at UPS during Peak. A driver I rode with spent 15-20 minutes each day organizing his freight and cursing the pre loader.
This is standard procedure. Get your “airs” and your bulk stops off then straighten your truck out stop for stop. 15 20 minutes here Vs between every stop? or coming in at 3am and loading it yourself? this is the best option. Their loaders are loading 1000 pieces into 3 trucks, it won’t be perfect. Not like FedEx where we load 100 pieces onto our own truck.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Why not? It's part of the job on the sort.
Because seniority should count for more than vacation. Someone who has been there 30 years, with all their aches and pains, shouldn’t have to unload cans when they did it for years previously (unless they volunteer). That should be for the rookies who are usually younger and in better health.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Because seniority should count for more than vacation. Someone who has been there 30 years, with all their aches and pains, shouldn’t have to unload cans when they did it for years previously (unless they volunteer). That should be for the rookies who are usually younger and in better health.
What a bourgeois concept. You expecting the elite class management to grasp that?