Beach Ideas from Florida Folks, Please

floridays

I’ve got a week off at the end of February and want to go to a nice, warm, peaceful Florida beach that’s under the radar, not congested and affordable. Does anyone know a good spot?

No.
Would you expect a native or current resident to piss in our wheaties?

I will help you however, if you can book this
coral reef hotel.jpg

jump on it. It's Miami Beach long before it was ruined.

Yeah we're big on giving yankee carpetbaggers the keys to that which is left undefiled.

I think you may enjoy Cancun.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Anyone know a nice spot that also has lots of alligators? The kind that may like to chomp on a really bitchy wife, perhaps? A friend wants to know..

floridays

Anyone know a nice spot that also has lots of alligators? The kind that may like to chomp on a really bitchy wife, perhaps? A friend wants to know..
I will help with that one.
Take US 41 from Miami to Naples, the Tamiami Trail or Alligator Alley as we call it.
Don't ask about nice beaches however.

bbsam

Staff member
We thought Flagler beach was nice but that’s on the Atlantic side so I doubt the water is very warm.

rod

Retired 22 years
Right, it's so "brutal" that many of the hotels keep their outdoor pools open year around.

I've been to Vegas 20+ times but only once in the last 10 years. We used to get last minute flights and stay at the Imperial Palace or even the Westward Ho on busy weekends. We were also drinking and doing shots the entire time, maybe that's why I didn't think it was too cold. :)

For a winter getaway I still think Phoenix/Scottsdale is a winner. If you like baseball it should be starting up as well.
I've only been to Vegas 4 times. The last time was probably 18 - 20 years ago. We had always stayed at the Westward Ho but the last time we were there we left when we discovered the place was over ran with cock roaches so we moved over to NY, NY.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
If you haven't been lately, you'll be impressed with what the IP has become. It's had 2 makeovers and rebrandings in less than a decade and is really nice. Geared toward hipsters and a younger crowd but it's really nice. Stayed there in 2012 in its final days as the IP and had the breakfast buffet. It was not as good as a Ryan's breakfast buffet and you had to fill your own drinks.

Did they fix the elevators? They used to be terrible if the hotel was full.

I have probably stayed there 8-10 times over the years and hit them for $5k on Let It Ride one time. Back in the day it was easy to have your rooms and meals comped.

floridays

SoCal in February is nice as well . Green, mild temps and less tourists make for a good time time on the west coast.
Actually it isn't for the beaches. The surf is cold, even in the summer you have to take a sweatshirt for after the sun goes down.
Maybe Florida just ruined me.

MAKAVELI

Actually it isn't for the beaches. The surf is cold, even in the summer you have to take a sweatshirt for after the sun goes down.
Maybe Florida just ruined me.
SoCal on the coast in the Summer is perfect 70s to 80s. Water is definitely cooler than the Gulf or Atlantic but not cold.

floridays

SoCal on the coast in the Summer is perfect 70s to 80s. Water is definitely cooler than the Gulf or Atlantic but not cold.
I lived there, I know exactly what it is like. You go to the beach during the day, you better have some sweats or other cover at night if you plan on staying beach side or on a pier. And that is during the summer.

Last edited:

MAKAVELI

I lived there, I know exactly what it is like. You go to the beach during the day, you better have some sweats or other cover at night if you plan on staying beach side or on a pier. And that is during the summer.
Early summer yeah but that depends on the fog and low clouds. Mid to late summer and fall the coast is warm with plenty of sunshine.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
If you haven't been lately, you'll be impressed with what the IP has become. It's had 2 makeovers and rebrandings in less than a decade and is really nice. Geared toward hipsters and a younger crowd but it's really nice. Stayed there in 2012 in its final days as the IP and had the breakfast buffet. It was not as good as a Ryan's breakfast buffet and you had to fill your own drinks.
Oh poor baby. Life sucks, huh?