BEIRUT

Box Ox

Impressive video

"Never before seen footage shows the shocking moment an explosion rocked the port of Lebanon's capital city, Beirut, on Tuesday (August 4), at approximately 6 pm local time.

The HD 4K video, recorded on an iPhone SE by Agoston Nemeth, a 42-year-old therapist from Budapest, Hungary, shows loud rumbling, as black smoke engulfs the sky, before a huge mushroom cloud and visible blast wave blows out the windows, rushing towards the camera and knocking it over.

Nemeth's footage was captured on the terrace of his home, on the 13th floor of building next to St George Hospital, only 850 meters from the explosion.

He told Newsflare: "That evening, I heard some firework type of noise. It's not unusual here in Lebanon, but it was so intense, so loud that I went out to the terrace. I noticed flames and in a warehouse in the port. I heard them first, like the sound of small fireworks. It was about 5.40 pm, and I went out and took some pictures from the terrace. I thought the firefighters would arrive soon, and I wanted to record them coming and put out the fire. I left my iPhone outside on the terrace, propped up on a handrail, and left it recording at around 5.50 pm.

"At 6 pm I had my therapy session with a client. Five minutes after I started the session, I heard a bigger explosion. I noticed it had escalated, so I told my client to stay there, and I checked the explosion. I was getting nervous. I went out with my camera, and I noticed it was getting bigger and bigger, some huge flames came out and suddenly there was this, 'boom.'

"It was something I could not get away from. I experienced this white-hot glass exploding. I don't know if I jumped or the shock waves pushed me, and I found myself on the floor. I don't know how much time passed. I noticed shattering glass and people screaming. I looked around and saw this huge orange cloud above me.

"Then I stood up and took some pictures and video. I didn't know if the building would collapse. Shortly after my fiancé called me, she was four or five kilometers away but also felt the blast around her."

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Impressive video

"Never before seen footage shows the shocking moment an explosion rocked the port of Lebanon's capital city, Beirut, on Tuesday (August 4), at approximately 6 pm local time.

The HD 4K video, recorded on an iPhone SE by Agoston Nemeth, a 42-year-old therapist from Budapest, Hungary, shows loud rumbling, as black smoke engulfs the sky, before a huge mushroom cloud and visible blast wave blows out the windows, rushing towards the camera and knocking it over.

Nemeth's footage was captured on the terrace of his home, on the 13th floor of building next to St George Hospital, only 850 meters from the explosion.

He told Newsflare: "That evening, I heard some firework type of noise. It's not unusual here in Lebanon, but it was so intense, so loud that I went out to the terrace. I noticed flames and in a warehouse in the port. I heard them first, like the sound of small fireworks. It was about 5.40 pm, and I went out and took some pictures from the terrace. I thought the firefighters would arrive soon, and I wanted to record them coming and put out the fire. I left my iPhone outside on the terrace, propped up on a handrail, and left it recording at around 5.50 pm.

"At 6 pm I had my therapy session with a client. Five minutes after I started the session, I heard a bigger explosion. I noticed it had escalated, so I told my client to stay there, and I checked the explosion. I was getting nervous. I went out with my camera, and I noticed it was getting bigger and bigger, some huge flames came out and suddenly there was this, 'boom.'

"It was something I could not get away from. I experienced this white-hot glass exploding. I don't know if I jumped or the shock waves pushed me, and I found myself on the floor. I don't know how much time passed. I noticed shattering glass and people screaming. I looked around and saw this huge orange cloud above me.

"Then I stood up and took some pictures and video. I didn't know if the building would collapse. Shortly after my fiancé called me, she was four or five kilometers away but also felt the blast around her."
That’s amazing to see those buildings disintegrating in slow motion.