Biden Gets the Boot

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
1606712989364.jpg

newfie

I'm traveling all over the Midwest and South Plains. Have seen as low as $1.66 and has been awhile since I've seen it above $1.90. Much of Obama's years prices were above $3, approaching $4 at times. Fracking brought it down near the end of Obama's run in spite of him restricting new drilling on Federal land. Anywhere right now that prices are above $2 is due to that state's fuel taxes.

costco and sams club here have stayed at 1.89 for months now

refineryworker05

For one he didn't restrict the oil industry like the Dems are on record saying they'd do. Less taxes, less regulations have not only helped that industry but American industry in general. Let's see how that goes under Biden.
I work in the oil industry. This isn’t a good time for this industry. I have been in this industry almost 16years. Both times this industry took a hit in those 16 years, republicans were president. In fact since I was a kid, every single republican president has presided over a recession, Reagan, from 81 to 82, GHBush, from 90 to 91, GWBush from 2001 to later in 2001 and from 2007 to the end of his presidency and now trump 2020 to the end of his presidency.
my employer cut our pay, no bonuses, cut our pension, cut our 401k matching. That’s going to cost me many 10’s of thousands of dollars directly in my pocket next year. The worst shape the O&G industry has ever been since I have been in it was under trump hands down. Generally speaking republican presidents are terrible for the economy, their track record is bad.

newfie

I work in the oil industry. This isn’t a good time for this industry. I have been in this industry almost 16years. Both times this industry took a hit in those 16 years, republicans were president. In fact since I was a kid, every single republican president has presided over a recession, Reagan, from 81 to 82, GHBush, from 90 to 91, GWBush from 2001 to later in 2001 and from 2007 to the end of his presidency and now trump 2020 to the end of his presidency.
my employer cut our pay, no bonuses, cut our pension, cut our 401k matching. That’s going to cost me many 10’s of thousands of dollars directly in my pocket next year. The worst shape the O&G industry has ever been since I have been in it was under trump hands down. Generally speaking republican presidents are terrible for the economy, their track record is bad.
reagan was elected because of the carter recession. that fact appears to be missing from your narrative.
price of gas rose from under a buck to over a buck during reagan and bush's span that allowed american companies to compete.
oil prices took some massive swings during Obama's presidency going up and down several times. that appears to be missing from your narrative.
the US is an oil exporter for the first time under Trump that appears to be missing from your narrative.

you claim to have been in the industry 16 years yet your narrative covers 40 years of oil history

Box Ox

This isn’t a good time for this industry. I have been in this industry almost 16years. Both times this industry took a hit in those 16 years, republicans were president.
When the industry "takes a hit" it's generally because oil prices are lower, no? Good for the consumer, bad for the oil companies. Which is better or more important overall I couldn't really say.

refineryworker05

Literally no one here believes any of the stories you make up
reagan was elected because of the carter recession. that fact appears to be missing from your narrative.
price of gas rose from under a buck to over a buck during reagan and bush's span that allowed american companies to compete.
oil prices took some massive swings during Obama's presidency going up and down several times. that appears to be missing from your narrative.
the US is an oil exporter for the first time under Trump that appears to be missing from your narrative.

you claim to have been in the industry 16 years yet your narrative covers 40 years of oil history
There was no recession when Reagan was elected. You can look up the dates of recessions. There was a recession under carter, but it stopped before the election. And then there was another recession under Reagan that lasted from 81 to 82. There is no speculation about this. It’s fact. The price of oil always swings. But the two worst years in the industry by far since I have been in it was 2008 and now, with right now being the worst. Both times with republicans as presidents. And the last 4 Republican presidents have all presided over economic recessions. My history covers the last sixteen in the oil industry. The other bit about recessions during 4 republican presidencies, wasn’t about the oil industry but about the economy as a whole. I have been alive far longer than 16years.

refineryworker05

When the industry "takes a hit" it's generally because oil prices are lower, no? Good for the consumer, bad for the oil companies. Which is better or more important overall I couldn't really say.
No well both times it was because demand was down due to a recession in 2008 and due to people not driving and traveling as much during COVID. Plus there is this thing they call the crack spread where I work. I don’t fully get it, but my basic understanding is that it’s the difference between the cost of buying crude oil and the price of selling it to gas stations, us government federal and local, airlines, diesel trucks etc. and my understanding is the price of that is driven by the demand, but also the supply. If there is an over production of crude oil even if the demand doesn’t drop at all the prices will drop, and obviously the opposite is true. There is a whole department dedicated to selling the stuff we produce lots of engineers run it. There’s a lot to offset that stuff though. Like if crude oil prices go higher some refineries buy worst crude oil that’s more difficult to turn into products, or within the refinery you can run bad hydrocarbons to units that don’t normally run that type of hydrocarbon, but this comes with the trade off of shortening the life of your equipment and the catalyst in reactors, etc. they can alsorerun products and do different kind of blending or they can find buyers of specific profitable products. it’s a lot to that part of it. I just do what they tell me in terms of making on spec product and sending it to the correct tanks for shipping or blending.

Last edited:

vantexan

Now how can you say that about Trump when he has been totally supportive of the oil industry? Did he not grant waivers to small refineries so that they didn't have to mix in ethanol? The problem in the oil industry was primarily Russia and Saudi Arabia getting into a pissing contest at exactly the wrong time with gas usage way down due to the virus.

vantexan

There was no recession when Reagan was elected. You can look up the dates of recessions. There was a recession under carter, but it stopped before the election. And then there was another recession under Reagan that lasted from 81 to 82. There is no speculation about this. It’s fact. The price of oil always swings. But the two worst years in the industry by far since I have been in it was 2008 and now, with right now being the worst. Both times with republicans as presidents. And the last 4 Republican presidents have all presided over economic recessions. My history covers the last sixteen in the oil industry. The other bit about recessions during 4 republican presidencies, wasn’t about the oil industry but about the economy as a whole. I have been alive far longer than 16years.
Reagan came into office in 1981 and that recession was very much due to Carter's policies. Reagan did a great job of getting us back on track. So much so he won 49 states in 1984 and a large number of "Reagan Democrats" voted for him.

refineryworker05

Now how can you say that about Trump when he has been totally supportive of the oil industry? Did he not grant waivers to small refineries so that they didn't have to mix in ethanol? The problem in the oil industry was primarily Russia and Saudi Arabia getting into a pissing contest at exactly the wrong time with gas usage way down due to the virus.
First off, trump doesn’t give a friend about anyone but himself so his support is worthless. Secondly trump is racist against black people. I am black so friend him. And finally presidents have minimal impact. But more importantly the industry sucks right now under trump, the oil industry started slowing down before COVID in like 2019. I’m not “blaming” trump, but his fake support didn’t help, plus because they passed that tax bill, and had the irs change the amount of withholding to make it seem like your tax cut was larger then it actually was, in I think 2018 maybe it was 2017, I had a large unexpected federal income tax due.

vantexan

First off, trump doesn’t give a friend about anyone but himself so his support is worthless. Secondly trump is racist against black people. I am black so friend him. And finally presidents have minimal impact. But more importantly the industry sucks right now under trump, the oil industry started slowing down before COVID in like 2019. I’m not “blaming” trump, but his fake support didn’t help, plus because they passed that tax bill, and had the irs change the amount of withholding to make it seem like your tax cut was larger then it actually was, in I think 2018 maybe it was 2017, I had a large unexpected federal income tax due.
You say presidents have minimal impact then turn around and blame everything on Trump. Which is it?

refineryworker05

Reagan came into office in 1981 and that recession was very much due to Carter's policies. Reagan did a great job of getting us back on track. So much so he won 49 states in 1984 and a large number of "Reagan Democrats" voted for him.
I know when Reagan was elected. And you can blame carter. I dont care. But there was no recession when Reagan was elected. That’s an objective fact. Another recession started in 1981 after Reagan was elected. Plus I was a kid and my dad never really talked politics, I didn’t know who the friend Reagan was, but I remember after he won my dad said the economy was about to get worst, and I lived in a place that depended on the steel mills in Chicago and northwest Indiana. Every man in my family at least on my mother’s side worked and also my father worked for inland steel mill, not long after Reagan got elected inland steel mill cratered and never recovered.

refineryworker05

You say presidents have minimal impact then turn around and blame everything on Trump. Which is it?
Well trump handled COVID so badly that’s a huge part of why this happened. But it’s not mostly his fault. People stopped driving and traveling as much because they don’t want to get sick. Trump couldn’t have prevented that, but his support to the industry is worthless. Its the worst it’s been since I’ve been in it, and he is the president right now.

newfie

First off, trump doesn’t give a friend about anyone but himself so his support is worthless. Secondly trump is racist against black people. I am black so friend him.
Well thank god you got the segregationist , lock up the black crime bill author , friend of the grand dragons coming in. you really showed Trump

newfie

I know when Reagan was elected. And you can blame carter. I dont care. But there was no recession when Reagan was elected. T

Jimmy Carter (1977-1981)​

President Jimmy Carter's presidency was also overshadowed by stagflation. He deregulated oil prices to spur domestic production. He also deregulated the trucking and airline industries while expanding the national park system. In 1979, Iranians took Americans hostage, causing the economy to contract.16

The problems came later in Carter's administration, when the economy fell into recession in January 1980 as he prepared to run for reelection. The combination of high inflation and high unemployment led to the use of the term "misery index" that combined those two readings, and helped to lead to his defeat.