Big announcement coming in Jan

bacha29

Express guys.....hope you can see that ground contractors are not your friend.....Contractors for quite some time have spearheaded the current devaluation of your labor and destruction of your wage base..... I'm sure some of you have read the many criticisms and personal attacks I've endured for simply refusing to take on additional routes, refusing to participate in the ongoing race to the bottom of the cheap freight-cheap labor business that was clearly taking shape when I left.
Granted, what I did didn't mean a thing but hopefully sometime, someplace, someone else will also take a stand and hopefully so will many others.
But unfortunately in the meantime it will continue it's race to the bottom and unfortunately once it hits bottom it will likely bounce along the bottom for many years afterward.

Maui

I don't think you really understand what last-mile means. This will be done in phases so it's not going to happen all at once.

I absolutely understand. I also understand what the plan is at this point. If you've read the plan, then you know that this is occurring at ORIGIN ramps.

Right now, the announced plan essentially keeps these packages out of Express planes and hubs avoiding the network entirely after pickup/origin ramp. There could be a different phase that focuses on last-mile from a destination perspective, but this ain't it. This is ORIGIN driven.

This is an attempt to lower the overall cost. Call it whatever. FedEx wants these out of the Express network, but wants the pickup agility and reliability of FXE.

MAKAVELI

I absolutely understand. I also understand what the plan is at this point. If you've read the plan, then you know that this is occurring at ORIGIN ramps.

Right now, the announced plan essentially keeps these packages out of Express planes and hubs avoiding the network entirely after pickup/origin ramp. There could be a different phase that focuses on last-mile from a destination perspective, but this ain't it. This is ORIGIN driven.

This is an attempt to lower the overall cost. Call it whatever. FedEx wants these out of the Express network, but wants the pickup agility and reliability of FXE.
That is the first phase of the plan. But the goal is to push as much residential deliveries through ground which makes more profit per package. They are trying to catch up with Amazon and e-commerce. That is why the term last mile is used.

fdxsux

[QUOTE="Maui, post: 4359845, member: 45037"

If some of that doesn't go to employees, then all that can should leave.[/QUOTE]

Pretty sure it’s not going to the employees. The whole point is to pay people less to deliver their stuff not more.

It will be fine

Is express saver a 3 day product? It looks like anything out of North Carolina would make it to about 75% of the country within 3 days. They can hit half the country in 2. How much of an average express courier’s day is 2 or 3 day volume?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Is express saver a 3 day product? It looks like anything out of North Carolina would make it to about 75% of the country within 3 days. They can hit half the country in 2. How much of an average express courier’s day is 2 or 3 day volume?
Yes it’s s 3 day service. Depends on the route and whether it’s a resi route, business or mixed.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
No same answer depending on the demographic is my guess. You're lucky if you're on the coasts... more dense

Midwest and the plains FXE will probably get hit hard with less overall cargo, but still have to cover those vast areas aka bacha~land, soo they should just keep those savers to stay busy

It will be fine

Yes it’s s 3 day service. Depends on the route and whether it’s a resi route, business or mixed.
They are saying we are only getting residential deliveries for now. If you had a neighborhood of say 10 residential deliveries how many would be 2 or 3 day shipments? I know it’s impossible to determine for every area, I’m just trying to see if Express as a Ground customer will be closer to a Walmart or a Bob’s Discount Widgets type shipper.

OrioN

They should keep it that way, only residential savers... let FXE keep b2b since I'm seeing FXG stretched thin as is on my terminal.

PS, on the ground side, they need to mark bus stops from res so some of the cover drivers without area knowledge can probably make service during their bankers hours (hopefully that DRO program will get it done, but not holding my breath)

bacha29

No same answer depending on the demographic is my guess. You're lucky if you're on the coasts... more dense

Midwest and the plains FXE will probably get hit hard with less overall cargo, but still have to cover those vast areas aka bacha~land, soo they should just keep those savers to stay busy
Yep, I can see it now . You've got an Express box with a delivery deadline in about a half a hour but you're 10 miles away and here you are stuck in some god forsaken feces hole ( can't use the s word) waiting for a wrecker to finally get out to get you if he can find you. For rural contractors it will mean more trucks with smaller loads smaller work areas and shorter days because if they're doing express pickups there's no more of this staying out to 8PM or later.

OrioN

Nah, we're not handling FXE pickups at all; just their delivery savers which is to be delivered by end of the day

I'm seeing more FXE transit connects than the full size cargo vans in the dense suburbs lately

Last edited: