Brothers in Waco, TX

Lanthanaas

Hey, guys! I'm currently a driver in the Portland, OR area. I'm considering moving my family and transferring down to the Waco, TX area. We currently have a trip planned to actually visit the area to see if we like it, but I was hoping to connect with some UPSers down there and see if there are differences with the job. I've heard wages and benefits can vary by areas in the US. I also know our union is stronger up here than some places. I'd love a full rundown of the driver's life down there! Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Hey, guys! I'm currently a driver in the Portland, OR area. I'm considering moving my family and transferring down to the Waco, TX area. We currently have a trip planned to actually visit the area to see if we like it, but I was hoping to connect with some UPSers down there and see if there are differences with the job. I've heard wages and benefits can vary by areas in the US. I also know our union is stronger up here than some places. I'd love a full rundown of the driver's life down there! Any insights are greatly appreciated.
I know if you leave ups in a lot of areas... You can't transfer, unless under a heart ship. You have to quit... I have old buddies that left NJ to FL to Drive and had to quit and get rehired... If you haven't checked into that you should... Good luck.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I know two drivers that moved to a different state, they had to quit UPS and get rehired at the new location. They lose seniority and had to start at the bottom of the pay scale and go through progression all over again.

Lanthanaas

I was told by management in my area that transfers are difficult in any case, but easier if it's for education. I know my seniority would reset, regardless, but pay rate should remain intact as I am vested.

PT Car Washer

I was told by management in my area that transfers are difficult in any case, but easier if it's for education. I know my seniority would reset, regardless, but pay rate should remain intact as I am vested.
You need to talk to HR in Waco and find out what the hiring situation is. If they are hurting for qualified drivers it could make the transfer process a bit easier. We had a young man transfer up from Arkansas last Summer. Went through everyone in the Hub that wanted to drive and off the street hires were mostly FedEx rejects.

Hellobrown2000

Call the Waco local and ask to speak to the ba for the building. I have called 3 different states in the past couple of weeks. Most people on here won't tell you much because they don't want you coming into their building or they don't trust anyone and think you will exploit them if they tell you anything about them. If your full time driving in OR, you will have to quit. Texas isn't part of the western group of states that allow ft driver transfers.

ManInBrown

I'd love to transfer out West from the East. I know I would have to quit and get rehired, but if you're a former driver does that help the chances of being rehired. I know that's a dumb question, but I'm wondering what the odds are that you just can't get rehired? My file is clean. Is being rehired and losing seniority and pay basically a formality, or do you guys think there have actually been drivers who have tried it, and were not rehired? I'm not talking about the center screw up who tries it. I'm talking about a good employee with a clean file.

I'd love to move out to California or the Northwest. Do you think it's possible to get the centers number where you want to move and talk to someone there, to gauge the odds of being rehired?

I'd love to transfer out West from the East. I know I would have to quit and get rehired, but if you're a former driver does that help the chances of being rehired. I know that's a dumb question, but I'm wondering what the odds are that you just can't get rehired? My file is clean. Is being rehired and losing seniority and pay basically a formality, or do you guys think there have actually been drivers who have tried it, and were not rehired? I'm not talking about the center screw up who tries it. I'm talking about a good employee with a clean file.

I'd love to move out to California or the Northwest. Do you think it's possible to get the centers number where you want to move and talk to someone there, to gauge the odds of being rehired?
I knew a couple of guys that went to Florida from local 177.. They quit and got rehired... It wasn't so bad for them because they weren't at top rate... They didn't lose much out of the deal... From what my old buddy's that did it told me was the company loved that they knew the system... Had to learn a little on some of the rules but the company loved it...

ManInBrown

I know this is going to sound crazy guys. Try not to laugh to hard. Are there medical hardships? I'm dead serious. If you have a condition where working in cold weather is detrimental to your health, will the company let you transfer? I've been dealing with some issues the past 6 months and the Dr's are trying to work thru what is causing my problems. It turns out that I MIGHT have an autoimmune disease, that cold weather is really bad for. I'm dead serious. I'm waiting on some test results. Medical Hardship or are you basically SOL?