Brothers in Waco, TX

Hellobrown2000

Wait time
I'd love to transfer out West from the East. I know I would have to quit and get rehired, but if you're a former driver does that help the chances of being rehired. I know that's a dumb question, but I'm wondering what the odds are that you just can't get rehired? My file is clean. Is being rehired and losing seniority and pay basically a formality, or do you guys think there have actually been drivers who have tried it, and were not rehired? I'm not talking about the center screw up who tries it. I'm talking about a good employee with a clean file.

I'd love to move out to California or the Northwest. Do you think it's possible to get the centers number where you want to move and talk to someone there, to gauge the odds of being rehired?
Wait time in californa is damn near a decade for ft.

ManInBrown

Wait time

Wait time in californa is damn near a decade for ft.
Wow. They literally can't fill driving spots here fast enough. Casuals being hired permanent mid-season.

I wouldn't be opposed to the Northwest. Even somewhere in the boonies. Although I imagine somewhere in the boonies the wait time may be even longer.

Lanthanaas

The other one we're looking at is Anchorage. It's not so much weather as price and availability of houses. We have to offer $250,000 for a 3 bed 1 bath house that needs $20,000-40,000 in repairs on a 5000 squ ft lot. Double the square footage of the house, make it brand new, and add an acre in Waco and it's under $200,000.

542thruNthru

I'm in the west like you. Transfering in your region is easier (though not by much). We have had a few do it. Transferring to a whole new region is much harder. Yes you will have to quit and get rehired.

I'm in California and know how you feel about houses. If you're really looking for something in your region try Arizona. Though I know people that have been waiting for couple of years to be transferred there.

Dr.Brownz

Hey, guys! I'm currently a driver in the Portland, OR area. I'm considering moving my family and transferring down to the Waco, TX area. We currently have a trip planned to actually visit the area to see if we like it, but I was hoping to connect with some UPSers down there and see if there are differences with the job. I've heard wages and benefits can vary by areas in the US. I also know our union is stronger up here than some places. I'd love a full rundown of the driver's life down there! Any insights are greatly appreciated.

....dude

You think it's hot in the back of the UPS truck in a Portland summer, its going to be like going into the flames of hell down there. Especially when the humidity hits.

Hellobrown2000

Texa
....dude

You think it's hot in the back of the UPS truck in a Portland summer, its going to be like going into the flames of hell down there. Especially when the humidity hits.[/QUOT
Local 767
6109 Anglin Dr
Forest Hill TX 76119
817-429-9863
800-225-2483
Fax 817-429-0147
This is the local for Waco, TX
Called 767 today the ba for the mesquite building had no clue what the wait time for driving was. I was shocked

Lanthanaas

Alright, guys. Finally got a response from my BA. Section 6 in the Western Region Supplemental Agreement:
"
SECTION 6
-
TRANSFER REQUEST
It is the Employee’s responsibility to verify all benefits at the requested t
ransfer location.
Benefits may vary by state and location. The medical, dental, vision, retirees medical coverages
and pension rates may be less or non
-
existent in the location you desire. Contact the Local Union
in the area you wish to transfer to for all
information pertaining to the area benefits.
Employees whose current health care coverage is provided by a jointly administered Taft
-
Hartley
Trust Fund plan who are transferring to an area where health care coverage is provided by a
Company administered
plan will be eligible immediately for health care benefits upon the first
day worked at the new location.
Employees whose current health care coverage is provided by a Company administered plan who
are transferring to an area where health care coverage i
s provided by a jointly administered Taft
-
Hartley Trust Fund plan will have to satisfy the eligibility requirements of the jointly
administered Taft
-
Hartley Trust Fund plan once beginning to work in the new location. An
employee in this situation will not
have health care coverage until the eligibility requirements
have been met and will receive a COBRA (Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act)
notice from the Company notifying them of their options in reference to continuing health care
coverage wit
h no lapse in coverage. COBRA payments are the responsibility of the employee.
Employees should contact the Local Union they are leaving and the Local Union they are
transferring to in order to verify what type of health care plan administration each area
uses in
order to make the proper arrangements for uninterrupted health care coverage.
The following language shall render null and void all language in any Supplement, Rider or
Addenda for those Local Unions signatory to this Agreement regarding building
to building
transfers for package car and feeder drivers. All full
-
time package car drivers covered by this
Agreement, with one (1) year seniority, shall have the right to transfer according to paragraphs
(1) through (10) below. All full
-
time feeder drive
rs covered by this Agreement, with one (1) year
seniority, shall have the right to transfer according to paragraph (11) below.

1. During the month of October of each year, a transfer list will be posted in each center which
will become effective January 2
nd
of the following year.
2. Package car drivers interested in transferring to another building within the Western Region of
Teamsters United Parcel Service Supplemental Agreement jurisdiction in the following year
must sign this transfer list designating
the building requested.
Package car drivers shall be
allowed to select two (2) buildings when requesting a transfer.
3. By December 1
st
of each year, all center lists will be combined to fo
rm one Master Transfer
Roster,
listing all interested package ca
r drivers according to their package car driver seniority
with a copy to all Local Unions signatory to this Agreement. An employee may protest the
accuracy of his/her seniority date on the final Master Transfer Roster, provided however, that
such protest
must be made in writing within thirty (30) days from December 1
st
. Failure to
protest a Master Transfer Roster seniority date within the thirty (30) day period shall result in the
list being considered accurate. A designated UPS district and a designated T
eamsters Local
Union shall share joint responsibility for immediately communicating any revisions to the list to
all Local Unions signatory to this Agreement.
4. Part
-
time employees shall have the right to fill full
-
time positions within
their Local Union
jurisdiction
before accepting transfers from the Master Transfer Roster on a six (6) for one (1)
basis in each facility within each Local Union’s jurisdiction. [Six (6) part
-
time to full
-
time within
each facility to every one (1) transfer within each faci
lity.]
. At the time of notification,
package car drivers actively working in their classification, with
good records, in accordance with their package car driver seniority, are given first consideration
in filling openings before new people are hired, p
rovided such jobs are believed to be regular.
The employee must accept or reject the available transfer, by written response, within twenty
-
four (24) hours of notification. Failure to comply with the twenty
-
four hour notification will
result in the employ
ee bei
ng removed from the list. Such
requests shall not be unreasonably
denied. Transfer requests will comply with Article 15
-
Military Clause of the National Master
United Parcel Service Agreement. Each affected Local Union shall be notified of every tran
sfer
into their jurisdiction prior to the effective date of the transfer. Notification shall include the
employee’s name, social security number, Company seniority date, effective date
of the transfer
and the origin
and destination location.
6. Transfers
are not considered during the period when seasonal help is being trained.
7. If a transfer becomes available and the qualified package car driver offered the transfer rejects
it, he/she shall not be eligible for future transfers within that year.
8. A
package car driver who transfers shall retain his/her Company seniority for the purpose of
fringe benefits, but shall be placed at the bottom of the center sen
iority list for the purpose of
layoff, rehire, bid and the selection of vacation. Package car dr
ivers transferring outside their
Local Union's jurisdiction shall be placed at the bottom of the center seniority list for the purpose
of promotion.
9. Package car drivers who transfer shall receive the appropriate fringe benefits and rate of pay
in effe
ct at their new location. Those employees shall also be subject to all contract provisions of
the applicable Rider and/or Addendum in effect at their new location.
10. It is understood that the Employer shall not be responsible for any costs associated w
ith an
employee transfer.
11. In addition, if feeder vacancies cannot be filled by the Company's Feeder Request List,
qualified feeder drivers in accordance with their feeder seniority, on the Feeder
-
Master Transfer
Roster will be offered the opening(s)
prior to hiring from the street. The same procedures for
package car driver transfers, along with all provisions outlined in this section, shall apply to
those feeder drivers accepting transfers."

Lanthanaas

....dude

You think it's hot in the back of the UPS truck in a Portland summer, its going to be like going into the flames of hell down there. Especially when the humidity hits.
I have plenty of humidity on my route. Average temperature in Waco is only 8 degrees hotter (and 20 less than the average this last summer). Unfortunately, as a lot of the other people said, in order to transfer out of my region, I have to quit and get hired again.