Brothers in Waco, TX

Dr.Brownz

I have plenty of humidity on my route. Average temperature in Waco is only 8 degrees hotter (and 20 less than the average this last summer). Unfortunately, as a lot of the other people said, in order to transfer out of my region, I have to quit and get hired again.

It's not a semi-marine climate like Portland. I'd be interested to know how the ranges of temperature compare instead of averages. I would guess you will be dealing with much larger swings in temperature. I live in the desert (I'm just about on the same latitude line as Portland, just a little north) and it's 19 degree here right now and down in Portland google says its a balmy 37. In the summer here it is in the 97-100 range for months while 97 was a "record shattering high" this last summer for portland according too google.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I have plenty of humidity on my route. Average temperature in Waco is only 8 degrees hotter (and 20 less than the average this last summer). Unfortunately, as a lot of the other people said, in order to transfer out of my region, I have to quit and get hired again.

Average temp won't help you in this case. I have family about 100 miles away from there. They get snow and ice in winter and absolute searing heat in summer.

You owe it to yourself and family to also investigate the pension in each area. You will already be starting over at zero in; pay rate, vacation, floater holidays, route bidding, and layoff. To add insult to injury, you might spend 30 years in Waco only to learn you gave up thousands in pension pay by leaving your current plan.

Dr.Brownz

I know it must be tempting to try to get out of Portland with all the riots that have been going on.

Have you had an incidents involving protesters while you were delivering?

Duckwithapipboy

I know it must be tempting to try to get out of Portland with all the riots that have been going on.

Most of the ones downtown are after 5pm, but the wannabe anarchists don't come out for an hour or two after that. You know, when all the millennial's are out of school and cruisin' for a bruisin' from the PPB when Starbucks has a long line.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
So within the same region I don't have to quit, but outside that I do?
Yes. I just transferred from so cal to Washington. It was easy. Every October 1st in the western region, every center puts up a transfer sheet. You sign it and are able to put 2 buildings you would like to transfer to. November 1st they take the transfer sheet down. Then on January 2nd they post the list of all people on the transfer list so you can see where you are at because it goes by seniority order. Then you sit and wait for h.r. to call you. Which could happen in a couple months or it could take years. Depends on how much the building your trying to transfer to is hiring. Now when you do transfer, if your at top rate you will stay at top rate, but it will change to what the current top rate is in the new local. You will still be able to retire at the same time but you will lose all center seniority.

BUT what your trying to do. Oregon to Texas is NOT possible. Texas is not in the western region therefore it is not an option. You have to stay within the 11 western states.

clean hairy

If you quit and have to be rehired, consider having the COBRA expense to keep your existing health coverage
until you are rehired and your new healthcare kicks in.

ManInBrown

I would love to take the chance of quitting and being rehired but there's no way I can justify it. Think of it like this. Even if you do get rehired which isn't guaranteed you start back at square 1 pay wise. Then if they do implement a 2 tier wage in the next contract you might never get back to what you were making. And even if they don't it's going to be 4-5 years. SMH. No way

Hellobrown2000

I would love to take the chance of quitting and being rehired but there's no way I can justify it. Think of it like this. Even if you do get rehired which isn't guaranteed you start back at square 1 pay wise. Then if they do implement a 2 tier wage in the next contract you might never get back to what you were making. And even if they don't it's going to be 4-5 years. SMH. No way
Pay freeze for top rate will happen before a 2 wage system.

ManInBrown

Pay freeze for top rate will happen before a 2 wage system.
Yeh. Even if that happens it's at least 4 years back to the top. Anyone willing to do that has a spouse that makes good money, or money isn't everything to that driver. I couldn't do it. As much as I'd love to get out of my current environment and make a change, there's no way.

Lanthanaas

Thankfully, I'm nowhere near downtown. It's certainly caused me to change plans that involve that area... I guess since I'm a grown man, I should probably throw an extremely public tantrum since I can't transfer where I want to... It worked for the people downtown, right? >.>

Lanthanaas

Yeh. Even if that happens it's at least 4 years back to the top. Anyone willing to do that has a spouse that makes good money, or money isn't everything to that driver. I couldn't do it. As much as I'd love to get out of my current environment and make a change, there's no way.
My BA said pay rate stays intact as long as you are transferring somewhere else in the western region.