Brown Cafe Cruise Thread

over9five

Staff member
Just got back from 2 weeks on a cruise. We didn't have to get tested before we boarded, they started that nonsense for the second week. As we were already onboard, CCL tested us at that point.
Ship was about half capacity, and they had quarantine cabins ready. I don't think they were used, except for new crew that were on a 10 day hold. Good cabins too, they used Cove balconies for that.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Just got back from 2 weeks on a cruise. We didn't have to get tested before we boarded, they started that nonsense for the second week. As we were already onboard, CCL tested us at that point.
Ship was about half capacity, and they had quarantine cabins ready. I don't think they were used, except for new crew that were on a 10 day hold. Good cabins too, they used Cove balconies for that.
So, how was the overall cruise experience for you? With all that is going on would you recommend it at this time?

rod

Retired 22 years
1629861441291.png

over9five

Staff member
So, how was the overall cruise experience for you? With all that is going on would you recommend it at this time?
We had a great time. You just have to be willing to mask up in interior areas of the ship, especially food areas. They had "mask police" at the entrances. Crew had to wear masks at all times.
I guess I would recommend it as long as you don't mind masking up when you have to. Sailing at half capacity is pretty awesome!

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Are you sure about that? The story I saw was unsure of her vaccine status.
They report Memaw to be fully vaccinated.

What's interesting is Carnival is claiming she was infected before getting on the boat. They may be right? She got on Saturday, Wednesday morning wasn't feeling well, so she stayed back as her family went on an excursion. That afternoon she was so sick the ship's doctor wanted her on a ventilator. That's only 5 days. From everything I've seen, you start having symptoms around the 5 day mark?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
From Wally's article:

Marilyn Tackett, a 77-year-old woman from Oklahoma, died this month after contracting the coronavirus. She was among the 27 reported positive cases aboard the Carnival Vista, one of the highest number of publicly recorded cases on a ship sailing from the United States since cruises restarted this summer, The Washington Post reported.

All 27 people who tested positive were vaccinated, according to health authorities in Belize, one of the ship’s destinations.

They report Memaw to be fully vaccinated.

What's interesting is Carnival is claiming she was infected before getting on the boat. They may be right? She got on Saturday, Wednesday morning wasn't feeling well, so she stayed back as her family went on an excursion. That afternoon she was so sick the ship's doctor wanted her on a ventilator. That's only 5 days. From everything I've seen, you start having symptoms around the 5 day mark?

I’m very surprised that the liberal narrative leaning media would allow this information to get out?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I’m very surprised that the liberal narrative leaning media would allow this information to get out?
This timeline suggests she was already a week into covid. They now are pre-screening everyone beforehand, then they were not.

over9five

Staff member
Ugh, my NYE cruise got canceled. They have delayed returning that ship (and some others) to service till January.
Looks like I'm "jumping ship" and going with Royal Caribbean. Really want to do a NYE cruise again!

pkgdriver

Ugh, my NYE cruise got canceled. They have delayed returning that ship (and some others) to service till January.
Looks like I'm "jumping ship" and going with Royal Caribbean. Really want to do a NYE cruise again!
Allure(Ft Lauderdale) and Harmony(Port Canaveral) would be the newest/biggest ships for your NYE. You can probably get out of Cape Liberty(Bayonne) on Royal also. PM me if you need info on Royal.

pkgdriver

NYE was usually pretty good pre Pandemic. My fav was Halloween though. Did a Quebec City to Ft Lauderdale Halloween cruise in 2015 and have done 3 after that. Tons of costumes.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Carnival cancelled our November cruise out of Miami. We are still booked on Christmas on the Elbe out of Prague December 20. Hopefully the EU will still allow Vaccinated Americans come December

pkgdriver

Carnival cancelled our November cruise out of Miami. We are still booked on Christmas on the Elbe out of Prague December 20. Hopefully the EU will still allow Vaccinated Americans come December
Didnt The EU clamp down on all non essential travel from the US a few days ago? Hopefully yours will be good to go.

over9five

Staff member
Allure(Ft Lauderdale) and Harmony(Port Canaveral) would be the newest/biggest ships for your NYE. You can probably get out of Cape Liberty(Bayonne) on Royal also. PM me if you need info on Royal.
Im thinking of booking Independence. The cruise they canceled on me was part one of a s2s. The second one isnt canceled (yet).
Independence does the same days as Liberty from the same port, so I could still do the second half...

pkgdriver

Independence should be nice. Shes about 12-13 yrs old. Not sure of last refurbishment. Coco Cay has had a ton of improvements in the past few years. Got some neat stuff there now compared to 30 years ago. Positives and negatives. The Bahamas is now requiring vaccinated travelers it seems. Royal Caribbean now requires a negative test 2 days before cruise instead of 3. Carnival is the same now I believe. May change before NYE.

I just ordered the home test for our Sept 17 Celebrity Equinox cruise to Aruba,Bonaire and Curaco...No rapid antigen tests avaliable at Walgreens,CVS, and others. Wasnt a problem when we needed them at the end of July.