Brown Package Trucks - Clean or Dirty?

S

serenity now

i can remember a time when every truck was washed every day * even if it didn't leave the yard that day * those sumbeaches were clean * about twice a year they would pull the front tires up on ramps, pull the mat in the back, remove any type of driver supply box, then clean the entire cargo area with a pressure washer * i know, hard to believe *

Integrity

Binge Poster
Growing up in Massachusetts in never saw a dirty UPS Package Truck. The closest center was in Shrewsbury and from what I was told every truck was washed everyday. I now live in Maine and the center I work at does not have a car wash. When I first started back in 2007, the local sort would hand wash the trucks every night. Nowadays, I can't recall the last time I saw a clean truck. In addition to a pile of trash and dirt inside the trucks, there's probably 10 lbs of dirt on the outside. It's almost embarassing! Is this common elsewhere?
UPS Preloader,

Yes, this is common im my area.

Sincerely,
I

J

jibbs

At the center I work at the outside of the package trucks always look pretty nice, like they get washed maybe every few days or so. The insides can get friend*in' terrible, though, cluttered with all types of papers/trash/plastic/bottles/food wrappers/the occasional piss bottle (from what I hear) and about a 20lb bag's worth of dirt/sand/debris on the inside floor.

stink219

I wash mine every night. It takes about 10 minutes to wash x 5 days = 50 min at OT = about 40 per week x 52 weeks = 2080 per year x a Roth = 94391.71 at 57 after taxes.

J

jibbs

I wash mine every night. It takes about 10 minutes to wash x 5 days = 50 min at OT = about 40 per week x 52 weeks = 2080 per year x a Roth = 94391.71 at 57 after taxes.

Sounds like the smart thing to do if the company's cool with drivers washing their truck on the clock. Easy overtime.

J

jibbs

"On the clock" Is trhere another way to wash it, that I'm not aware of?

My words were meant to convey the opinion that it would be wise for drivers to wash their own trucks so long as they won't catch any **** for taking on that extra responsibility and getting OT for it. As to your explicit question, I'm not going to answer because I feel like it's intentionally ignorant.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sounds like the smart thing to do if the company's cool with drivers washing their truck on the clock. Easy overtime.

This would not happen in my center, especially on OT. The compay is not "cool" with drivers being paid $45/hr to wash package cars.

Notretiredyet

We washed our own trucks for years, was always nice to sit in line for 10-20min waiting to drive thru the wash tunnel then stop and get fueled. We don't do that anymore, now we've got porters that are making alot less. But its nice not to have to park your truck anymore, just wish they would wash out the cab once in awhile. The mechanic said that they don't want them spraying water around all the sensors on the new trucks. I asked him where the new trucks were and he laughed.

Last edited:
We washed our own trucks for years, was always nice to wait in line for 10-20min waiting to drive thru the wash tunnel then stop and get fueled. We don't do that anymore, now we've got porters that are making alot less. But its nice not to have to park your truck anymore, just wish they would wash out the cab once in awhile. The mechanic said that they don't want them spraying water around all the sensors on the new trucks. I asked him where the new trucks were and he laughed.
The new trucks are in the share holders garage! Maybe two now...with the new dividend increase!.....They need the new trucks more than we do!!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
utf-8BSU1BRzAyNDAuanBn_zps2b25dbf5.jpg

This is the only clean package car at my Hub, and we aren't allowed to drive it.