Brown Package Trucks - Clean or Dirty?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Holy *****! I drove 661133 for about a year.

This one's not assigned to my building, it just gets parked there when it being used for some kind of local promotion. It was used at some school yesterday. My Center delivers the Atlanta Motor Speedway, so it always shows up on raceweek for NASCAR. A few years ago, they wanted me to drive it around the track and deliver the trophy before a race, but I turned it down. I'm not a NASCAR fan and I didn't want to deal with the traffic.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Rebuilt? Like totally,redesigned?

Rebuilt with an entirely different chassis. New engine (gas v8 Chev) , transmission (GM 6L90E 6speedauto), new axles,different brakes(better IMO), larger wheel/tire combo, new dash, floor mods, etc. Got rid of the original POS diesel setup. Gonna make a big improvement in our breakdown stats.:happy-very: Dash reset to 0 miles and a new PC# and new VIN#.
Waiting for a similar treatment for the VT365 equipped cars. (See my previous thread about them).:dissapointed:

Last edited:

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Filthy dirty. Dirt on top of dirt with some cow poop mixed in. Run a satellite route so my package car doesn't get washed until it is brought back to the center for maintanence or it rains, whatever comes first.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
The trucks are filthy in my center. The local sort is allowed time to wash, but the pt sup uses car wash time to pad the local sort time. Therefore he has the best local sort numbers around and the dirtiest trucks,too.

Tiny Panda

Ours used to be washed every night, now its once a week if we're lucky. To be honest they look better dirty as the wash job is so poor, its embarrassing having patches of dirt all over the place.

When i was filmed for a new commercial i came in and washed the truck on a Saturday with hot soapy water, its never been cleaner, they just use cold water with no soap at the mo.

IMAG0495.jpg

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
Ours used to be washed every night, now its once a week if we're lucky. To be honest they look better dirty as the wash job is so poor, its embarrassing having patches of dirt all over the place.

When i was filmed for a new commercial i came in and washed the truck on a Saturday with hot soapy water, its never been cleaner, they just use cold water with no soap at the mo.

IMAG0495.jpg

How true. It's hard to even see where you missed until it's dry.

iowa boy

utf-8BSU1BRzAyNDAuanBn_zps2b25dbf5.jpg

This is the only clean package car at my Hub, and we aren't allowed to drive it.

Just a couple of random thoughts....

15, 16 years old and the bumper is still straight, and the paint isn't flaking off. Oh, and no tree scuffs down the sides. First one I've seen in such 'pristine' condition. Hell, I bet it doesn't even leak any oil.

I wonder though, did they intstall Telematics in it and make whomever is driving carry a diad with them?

oldupsman

I wash mine every night. It takes about 10 minutes to wash x 5 days = 50 min at OT = about 40 per week x 52 weeks = 2080 per year x a Roth = 94391.71 at 57 after taxes.
Near the end of my career they went to a wash when needed policy. If I felt it needed to be done I would do it on my own
when I returned to the building at night. I didn't do it for the money. I did it just because a dirty car bothered me. Old guy syndrome.
i can remember a time when every truck was washed every day * even if it didn't leave the yard that day * those sumbeaches were clean * about twice a year they would pull the front tires up on ramps, pull the mat in the back, remove any type of driver supply box, then clean the entire cargo area with a pressure washer * i know, hard to believe *
I remember that too. And people used to notice that clean car everyday. I had more than one customer over the years comment
on our clean trucks.

oldupsman

I wash mine every night. It takes about 10 minutes to wash x 5 days = 50 min at OT = about 40 per week x 52 weeks = 2080 per year x a Roth = 94391.71 at 57 after taxes.

i can remember a time when every truck was washed every day * even if it didn't leave the yard that day * those sumbeaches were clean * about twice a year they would pull the front tires up on ramps, pull the mat in the back, remove any type of driver supply box, then clean the entire cargo area with a pressure washer * i know, hard to believe *

utf-8BSU1BRzAyNDAuanBn_zps2b25dbf5.jpg

This is the only clean package car at my Hub, and we aren't allowed to drive it.
And doggone it Scratch, what do I have to do to get you out of that seat and retired?

norcal10

Does any building have contractors come in After the local sort to wash cars?
That's what we do. They get washed every other night except the 12s sometimes

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Growing up in Massachusetts in never saw a dirty UPS Package Truck. The closest center was in Shrewsbury and from what I was told every truck was washed everyday. I now live in Maine and the center I work at does not have a car wash. When I first started back in 2007, the local sort would hand wash the trucks every night. Nowadays, I can't recall the last time I saw a clean truck. In addition to a pile of trash and dirt inside the trucks, there's probably 10 lbs of dirt on the outside. It's almost embarassing! Is this common elsewhere?

UPS calls it, " brown going green! ". This means a car gets so dirty it starts growing green vegetation all over it. This inturn catches all that Co2 emissions, thus no polution. The more you knoooooow!

UPS calls it, " brown going green! ". This means a car gets so dirty it starts growing green vegetation all over it. This inturn catches all that Co2 emissions, thus no polution. The more you knoooooow!

Maybe if we take a crap on top of our trucks.. maybe.that will fertilize the vegetation!! Go green or Brown!!!

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian

I have quite a few with grass growing in the door pockets.

jg78

When I started Driving in 86 upon returning to building you fueled your truck then drove thru a car wash bay. That was usually attended by two employes. That ended shortly thereafter. If we get a wash once a week now we are fortunate.

reydluap

I just can't understand the Companies reasoning for filth package cars! UPS can spend millions of dollars in advertising all over the world and NEVER get the same bang for their buck as then can get with CLEAN package cars delivering in every community right in the customers faces. Almost everyone,every day sees a UPS truck sometime during the day. How many commercials,race track sponsorships,derby horses and such has UPS blown money on. PULL YOUR HEAD OUT CORPORATE UPS!