Brownbailout

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Looks like in their rush, they did not have the Flash set up exactly right.
This was at 6:07 a.m. on Tuesday June 9, 2009

-
1764.gif

PobreCarlos

Yeah I see its running now... found a great quote

"Remember that 85 percent of FedEx Express packages travel by plane, while 85 percent of UPS packages travel only by truck."

Comparing Express Segment to the whole of UPS... ;) yikes... its gonna be a painful week.

Agreed. However, I think, if possible, UPSers ought to make it as painful as possible for those who are thinking of voting against the legislation that removes FedEx from under the auspices of the Railway Act. With that in mind (and I'm usually not that gung-ho on such campaigns) it would be nice to see a bunch of email, telephone calls, whatever to applicable U.S. Senators, and some responses to the news media blogs where - from what I've seen this morning - the forces of FedEx are holding sway.

We need to get the word out that "fair is fair"....and this is a case where even Republicans - if duly "pressured" - shouldn't have that many qualms for supporting what far-too-many view as a "union" measure. Not too sure that even if FedEx is put under the NLRA that the Teamsters will have much luck in organizing them....but, as it stands now, FedEx is getting what amounts to a subsidy from the government. And all this while having the gall to maintain that UPS is the one asking for it.

ups1990

My two Senators, have already heard from me on this matter.Nobody here should take this media campaign by FEDEX, lightly. They make better commercials than UPS and their message gets through to the public. A passage of this legislation, can finally make it a fair playing field. Once this happens, my feeling is we will defeat FEDEX and the public will be a witness to this.

gata

WHY THE RAILWAY LABOR ACT MUST BE AMENDED

No Rhetoric, No Spin, No Multi-million Dollar Campaign to Distort Reality…

JUST THE FACTS

Despite its efforts to distort the facts, FedEx Express can’t avoid the truth: its drivers do the same job as every other driver in the industry, including UPS drivers. The Railway Labor Act (RLA) must be amended to eliminate the special treatment received by FedEx due to the unequal application of labor laws.

Ten Very Basic Truths

Truth: Despite the name-calling by FedEx, this issue is about fairness in competition and correcting a long-standing earmark provided to FedEx.

Truth: UPS wants Congress to eliminate special treatment provided to FedEx and place FedEx Express drivers and other ground employees under the appropriate labor law, the National Labor Relations Act.

Truth: UPS is the strongest company in its industry and is not seeking a “bailout” from Congress…the company is working to eliminate the earmark given to FedEx.

Truth: FedEx Express is the only company in the express delivery industry with its drivers, loaders and sorters governed by the RLA, a law designed for airlines and railroads.

Truth: UPS and FedEx have similar operations and both transport packages by airplane. However, your package isn’t delivered to your door by a pilot of an airplane. The package must be placed on a truck and is driven by a delivery driver to your place of business or home.

Truth: UPS and FedEx both deliver approximately 2.5 million express packages each day. FedEx’s claims that UPS ships 85 percent of its goods by truck are false.

Truth: The only unionized FedEx employee group is its RLA-governed pilots group. There is no factual basis for FedEx’s assertion that moving the appropriate employees under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) means immediate unionization for the company.

Truth: FedEx currently has more than 100,000 NLRA-governed employees that are not unionized. Yet, the company is trying to convince the U.S. Congress and customers that amending the RLA will increase its labor costs. FedEx’s history doesn’t demonstrate that its NLRA employees will be unionized.

Truth: Amending the RLA will appropriately level the playing field in the express delivery industry.

Truth: Telling the truth doesn’t cost anything…especially a multi-million dollar campaign.

As part of its “multi-million dollar lobbying campaign,” FedEx stated in a June 9 press release that “UPS and FedEx are fundamentally different companies.” Really? Someone needs to read Truth #10.

http://pressroom.ups.com/landing/0,2111,101,00.html

over9five

Staff member
Anyone here really good at writing letters to Senators? I was thinking a sample letter posted here would help a lot of people who would otherwise not know what to say.

Any takers?

Maybe we could "sticky" it with links to Senators addresses and email.

brett636

That is a creative website. Anyone see the money counter they have with the it saying "Why does a company that makes this much money need a bailout?" I just find it humorous for one company to be complaining about the amount of money its competition is earning.

I hope Fred loses this fight. Its time for him to be on the same playing field as UPS.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
WHY THE RAILWAY LABOR ACT MUST BE AMENDED

No Rhetoric, No Spin, No Multi-million Dollar Campaign to Distort Reality…

JUST THE FACTS

Despite its efforts to distort the facts, FedEx Express can’t avoid the truth: its drivers do the same job as every other driver in the industry, including UPS drivers. The Railway Labor Act (RLA) must be amended to eliminate the special treatment received by FedEx due to the unequal application of labor laws.

Ten Very Basic Truths

Truth: Despite the name-calling by FedEx, this issue is about fairness in competition and correcting a long-standing earmark provided to FedEx.

Truth: UPS wants Congress to eliminate special treatment provided to FedEx and place FedEx Express drivers and other ground employees under the appropriate labor law, the National Labor Relations Act.

Truth: UPS is the strongest company in its industry and is not seeking a “bailout” from Congress…the company is working to eliminate the earmark given to FedEx.

Truth: FedEx Express is the only company in the express delivery industry with its drivers, loaders and sorters governed by the RLA, a law designed for airlines and railroads.

Truth: UPS and FedEx have similar operations and both transport packages by airplane. However, your package isn’t delivered to your door by a pilot of an airplane. The package must be placed on a truck and is driven by a delivery driver to your place of business or home.

Truth: UPS and FedEx both deliver approximately 2.5 million express packages each day. FedEx’s claims that UPS ships 85 percent of its goods by truck are false.

Truth: The only unionized FedEx employee group is its RLA-governed pilots group. There is no factual basis for FedEx’s assertion that moving the appropriate employees under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) means immediate unionization for the company.

Truth: FedEx currently has more than 100,000 NLRA-governed employees that are not unionized. Yet, the company is trying to convince the U.S. Congress and customers that amending the RLA will increase its labor costs. FedEx’s history doesn’t demonstrate that its NLRA employees will be unionized.

Truth: Amending the RLA will appropriately level the playing field in the express delivery industry.

Truth: Telling the truth doesn’t cost anything…especially a multi-million dollar campaign.

As part of its “multi-million dollar lobbying campaign,” FedEx stated in a June 9 press release that “UPS and FedEx are fundamentally different companies.” Really? Someone needs to read Truth #10.

http://pressroom.ups.com/landing/0,2111,101,00.html

Amen...very well done.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I "borrowed" some text from a few different sources and came up with this sample letter:

Dear Senator _______,

Recently the House voted to pass the FAA Reauthorization Bill containing the Express Carrier Employee Protection provision. This act will restore fairness to the package delivery industry by removing FedEx from its status as the only company of its kind allowed to classify its package delivery workers under the Railway Labor Act (RLA).

The RLA was passed in 1926 to prevent interruptions to national rail traffic. By design the RLA requires a national vote by every worker to unionize as a way to suppress the possibility of rail traffic interruption. The original intention of the RLA was to protect the country's flow of goods and services, not to provide a loophole to be exploited by a corporation to deny their workers the same rights and protections as virtually all other private sector workers in other companies which are classified under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA).

The majority of FedEx workers are currently subject to the Railway Labor Act (RLA) because FedEx was orginally started as an airline. Currently, all workers at FedEx Express are covered by the RLA regardless of whether they have any direct relationship with the operation or maintenance of the air fleet. This includes package delivery drivers, workers at sorting facilities and truck mechanics. By allowing FedEx to continue to exploit this loophole and classify all of their workers under the RLA they are being allowed to continue to boost their profits at the expense of American workers and the economy.

I urge you to follow the actions of the House and support the FAA Reauthorization Bill's Express Carrier Employee Protection provision.

Sincerely,

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Smith has powerful friends who owe him political favors. UPS needs to play extreme hardball with Smith and expose this sleazy maneuver for what it really is....a huge lie. Being business-like and polite isn't going to cut it. This has become a street fight, and appropriate tactics apply.

I'm really hoping this will backfire on FedEx and turn public opinion against them for trying to play the political equivalent of the race card. Smith knows that "bailout" is a loaded term these days, and that it will raise the ire of taxpayers who disagree strongly with the Obama agenda. The whole thing stinks like bad cheese, but that won't stop him.

It needs to be made abundantly clear that UPS is NOT being bailed-out, and that the true beneficiary of the RLA exemption has been FedEx, for 36 years and counting.

redshift1

I think the government will protect Fedex, if they are forced to unionize, UPS could gain a potential monopolistic advantage. While Fedex has benefitted unfairly our government does not want to legislate them out of business. This will be played out a long time in the courts.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Smith has powerful friends who owe him political favors. UPS needs to play extreme hardball with Smith and expose this sleazy maneuver for what it really is....a huge lie. Being business-like and polite isn't going to cut it. This has become a street fight, and appropriate tactics apply.

I'm really hoping this will backfire on FedEx and turn public opinion against them for trying to play the political equivalent of the race card. Smith knows that "bailout" is a loaded term these days, and that it will raise the ire of taxpayers who disagree strongly with the Obama agenda. The whole thing stinks like bad cheese, but that won't stop him.

It needs to be made abundantly clear that UPS is NOT being bailed-out, and that the true beneficiary of the RLA exemption has been FedEx, for 36 years and counting.

You're slipping ...
You forgot to end your post with "Fred S is a
a) Slimy bastard
b) Satan's Child
c) Child Molester
d) Hater of Unions

Please try and remember to add these to all your posts as I look forward to what new invective you come up with.
Thanx,
Hoax

Solidarity413

Not sure how you know so much about FedEx. But I always appreciate it when you jump in on a thread.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
You're slipping ...
You forgot to end your post with "Fred S is a
a) Slimy bastard
b) Satan's Child
c) Child Molester
d) Hater of Unions

Please try and remember to add these to all your posts as I look forward to what new invective you come up with.
Thanx,
Hoax

Sorry. I'll go with a combo of a,b, and d...don't know about c. Can I add-in that he's a sleaze?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not sure how you know so much about FedEx. But I always appreciate it when you jump in on a thread.

20+ years as one of Fred's wage slaves. I've met him, had meetings with him, and have always come away feeling like I need to take a bath in rubbing alcohol afterwards.