Buy USA! USA! Trucks and Motors

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The Indians ( of India ) published a paper on this subject back in 2010 or so , that used magnets instead of fluids .

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The big question is whether it would be worth the extra cost and weight.
We are talking about added ounces of weight .
The system was being designed so that any mechanic could install the new shocks .
Now no costs have been mentioned yet , but given the benefits of this system I don't think that will really matter .

wkmac

The big question is whether it would be worth the extra cost and weight.

In the case of off roaders, a great set of shocks can cost between $1k and 2k. You can get cheaper shocks but I'm talking top of the line that you can even rebuild. I'm looking at the Icon Stage 7 shocks and suspension upgrade and the parts alone are over $5k.

In the case of a shock able to generate power, the weight savings may actually favor such shocks as instead of having multiple batteries on board for capacity, the trade off is having extra power generation on board to supplement heavy battery demand from such things as winches, light bars, etc. Less batteries is a big weight savings in and of itself. Top line off road shocks with remote reservoirs seem to me a perfect scenario for power generation shocks.

On the normal street passenger car is where your argument might come into play but with more and more cars going hybrid, who knows where this could go. Seems to me this is where your argument may have some standing.

And just for comparison, .7 liters of fuel savings per 60 miles can be translated to a gallon of fuel saved for about every 300 miles driven. The Tundra I have ordered with the big fuel tank has a range of 600 miles so I could save 2 gallons of fuel or an extra 30 to 40 miles of driving range on the same fuel load. Over say just 5 years of typical driving and seems to me those shocks might pay for themselves easily if not a few times over, depending on the cost of course.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Live in a snow belt area where pot holes are a way of life and even a typical street vehicle could benefit from these new shocks .
I know of a cobble stone street in Chelsea Mass that is still in use .

oldngray

nowhere special
In the case of off roaders, a great set of shocks can cost between $1k and 2k. You can get cheaper shocks but I'm talking top of the line that you can even rebuild. I'm looking at the Icon Stage 7 shocks and suspension upgrade and the parts alone are over $5k.

In the case of a shock able to generate power, the weight savings may actually favor such shocks as instead of having multiple batteries on board for capacity, the trade off is having extra power generation on board to supplement heavy battery demand from such things as winches, light bars, etc. Less batteries is a big weight savings in and of itself. Top line off road shocks with remote reservoirs seem to me a perfect scenario for power generation shocks.

On the normal street passenger car is where your argument might come into play but with more and more cars going hybrid, who knows where this could go. Seems to me this is where your argument may have some standing.

And just for comparison, .7 liters of fuel savings per 60 miles can be translated to a gallon of fuel saved for about every 300 miles driven. The Tundra I have ordered with the big fuel tank has a range of 600 miles so I could save 2 gallons of fuel or an extra 30 to 40 miles of driving range on the same fuel load. Over say just 5 years of typical driving and seems to me those shocks might pay for themselves easily if not a few times over, depending on the cost of course.

I agree that seems designed to work best in hybrid vehicles.

wkmac

Toyota contacted me earlier this week to say the build on my Tundra has started. Projected date of arrival at dealership is May 4th but then truck will ship back out for aftermarket work once it arrives at dealer. Hoping to finalize and pickup by May 10th but that could change as I may be adding a couple of more goodies. Then off to Leer and 4 Wheel Drive Parts for more.

Wife is starting to give serious thoughts about a Toyota 4Runner 4Wheel so we may do this again within another year, this time for her.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Toyota contacted me earlier this week to say the build on my Tundra has started. Projected date of arrival at dealership is May 4th but then truck will ship back out for aftermarket work once it arrives at dealer. Hoping to finalize and pickup by May 10th but that could change as I may be adding a couple of more goodies. Then off to Leer and 4 Wheel Drive Parts for more.

Wife is starting to give serious thoughts about a Toyota 4Runner 4Wheel so we may do this again within another year, this time for her.

I wonder if a "2 fer" would have been a bit cheaper in the long run.

wkmac

I wonder if a "2 fer" would have been a bit cheaper in the long run.

What you and I want over the long run are 2 very different outcomes so from my POV the answer would be no. The truck will end up taking us where there are no roads and that is the ultimate point and objective.

wkmac

With all the recent problems with Atlanta roadways, I have talked with Tim Cameron about building me a new commuter vehicle.

I've enjoyed a running joke at work the last week or so that I called Toyota and changed to build and reconfigured the truck to a rock crawler. Then showed then a short clip of Tim in Hell Raiser. Between laughs, a lot of people voiced concerns it we might not all need one before it's over with. Thankfully me 16 miles to work is no interstates and all resi streets plus I work off hours.