Buying a home

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
That credit score is excellent. You'll get approved for more than you should buy. Any other questions?
Good point!
I told the real estate agent I wanted a house in the $300 - 400k range (bought it for $333k) but she came back with 3 $800k plus house once they ran my credit. I refused to even look at them (my wife would probably want one).

Rack em

Made the Podium
Do the 15, if you can swing it. Your monthly payment will depend on a few variables. Get a prequalification letter from a lender and have this discussion with them. Some smaller lenders may have portfolio loans that’ll get you away from PMI but with a lower down payment. Interview a few buyers agents and hire a Realtor to help with the process. But that’s just my 2 cents. Good luck!
That credit score is excellent. You'll get approved for more than you should buy. Any other questions?
How much is a realtor going to cost me in the end? Since I am new at this, a realtor would really help with all the confusing stuff I don't really understand. But I also don't want to blow a bunch of money if a realtor isn't needed.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Good point!
I told the real estate agent I wanted a house in the $300 - 400k range (bought it for $333k) but she came back with 3 $800k plus house once they ran my credit. I refused to even look at them (my wife would probably want one).
JEEEEZ, 800k!?!?! I would hate to have to make that payment every month.

oldngray

nowhere special
How much is a realtor going to cost me in the end? Since I am new at this, a realtor would really help with all the confusing stuff I don't really understand. But I also don't want to blow a bunch of money if a realtor isn't needed.
The seller usually pays the realtor's commission. Even if you end up splitting the cost its worth it when you buy your first house. There are too many details you need to learn.

CoffeeStainedUniform

It depends on the area but having a realtor will save you more than they cost. I wouldn't recomend letting the agent represent the seller and buyer in your situation though. You need someone to just represent you on your first house.

Rack em

Made the Podium
The seller usually pays the realtor's commission. Even if you end up splitting the cost its worth it when you buy your first house. There are too many details you need to learn.
Awesome! I have a few friends who are realtors so I hope they would hook it up for me lol

Whitelexus

Yes you'd have to get it cheap.

Homeownership is extremely overrated. Moreso in the op situation.

Now if he were looking for a duplex to live in one side and rent the other. Hell yeah go for it.
I beg to disagree. Why pay someone else’s mortgage when you can build equity?
Duplex, yeah if you get the right tenants and they don’t tear the property apart.

Whitelexus

Sellers listing contract should have already negotiated out the buyers side commission. Unless you go after a short sale or foreclosure or hire a buyers agent for an auction/sheriffs sale. Have your Realtor go over the buyers agency contract with you. Negotiate if necessary

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I beg to disagree. Why pay someone else’s mortgage when you can build equity?
Duplex, yeah if you get the right tenants and they don’t tear the property apart.
Why build equity (which many never use) when you can save cash or invest the money?

Both have their pros and cons it's certainly not as cut and dry as owning a home is awesome
And renting is throwing money away. Especially not in the op position.

Why build equity (which many never use) when you can save cash or invest the money?

Both have their pros and cons it's certainly not as cut and dry as owning a home is awesome
And renting is throwing money away. Especially not in the op position.
Sometimes it's not about owning. I don't agree with or but people dont
want responsibilities