Call in to see if you are working

1stgear

4F9D51ED-15D5-45BE-BD51-0A3D532087A0.jpeg

Actually it says they will give you a start time by noon.

I don’t see anywhere that it says you need to call in. They should call you if they need you

1stgear

Call your local on Monday. Ask the BA for UPS and explain to him/her what's going on. The company may be taking advantage of this language. I highly recommend calling.

Will do. It also seems that I should get a full day pay even if I only work a few hours. I have worked multiple partial days and not been paid for a full day.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Actually it says they will give you a start time by noon.

I don’t see anywhere that it says you need to call in. They should call you if they need you

"After having contacted the center".

@1stgear. You meet the requirement after one call, after that they have 'til noon to call you in, then you're clear. If you want to work after that, it's up to you. I think you might be in @soberups neck of the woods maybe?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Will do. It also seems that I should get a full day pay even if I only work a few hours. I have worked multiple partial days and not been paid for a full day.

Correct. Tell them you want your 8 hr guarantee for all the days you didn't get it. I think there is a limit on how far you can go back for underpayments, but I can't find it in the contract at the moment. Check with your Rep.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
"After having contacted the center".

@1stgear. You meet the requirement after one call, after that they have 'til noon to call you in, then you're clear. If you want to work after that, it's up to you. I think you might be in @soberups neck of the woods maybe?
You call the center at noon to make sure you’re free. You don’t call them 4 times to check. It’s on them to call you

Brownslave688

I'd call once before start time, then leave the ball in their court. If they don't call back by noon, you are free, you don't have to check.
That’s not how the contract reads though. It says employee will be given a start time before noon or they will be released for the day AFTER CONTACTING THE CENTER.

So you’re not released until you contact the center and verify they don’t need you sometime after noon.

I’d do exactly as the contract states. Sit and wait for a phone call until noon then call in and see if you’re released or need to come in.

Brownslave688

It really opens your eyes sometimes to how different it is across the country.
Yeah they’ve tried to tell me I’m on call here a number of times.

I just tell them there’s no such thing. Do I have a start time or am I off for the day.

They pretty much always respond with a start time lol

542thruNthru

You may have a grievance but being that you're "On Call" the last sentence may pertain to you.

Screenshot_20190816-225757_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

This is a question for your BA.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
That’s not how the contract reads though. It says employee will be given a start time before noon or they will be released for the day AFTER CONTACTING THE CENTER.

So you’re not released until you contact the center and verify they don’t need you sometime after noon.

I’d do exactly as the contract states. Sit and wait for a phone call until noon then call in and see if you’re released or need to come in.

I see what you're saying, but I think you can read it either way. If you contact the center at any point up 'til noon you have met your obligation to contact the center. I'll ask my BA and see if there are any decisions that clarify the language.

542thruNthru

I have always been told to “call in the morning” never the day before. Looks like my “lay-off” days should be 4 hour pay days, but is “ reporting” calling in or showing up?

I think you may be misunderstanding the language. You're being told to call in the day before correct? By doing this they are telling you there is no work guaranteed tomorrow. "Show up" pay is for people schedule I believe.

Again I may be wrong and this is a question for your BA. Though I believe I'll be correct. :)

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I have always been told to “call in the morning” never the day before. Looks like my “lay-off” days should be 4 hour pay days, but is “ reporting” calling in or showing up?

This starts getting a little complicated, only the bottom 1 or 2 drivers on the dispatch are guaranteed four hours. If you are put on call, that should mean that your get 4 hours pay whether you work or not. But the language that says if you have attained seniority and you are put to work you are guaranteed 8 hours, whether you were on call or not, should be overriding. Then you have people who are on the schedule, but not dispatched. I think the bottom 12 guys are on the schedule as "call in", but it's not the same as "on call".

1stgear

I think you may be misunderstanding the language. You're being told to call in the day before correct? By doing this they are telling you there is no work guaranteed tomorrow. "Show up" pay is for people schedule I believe.

Again I may be wrong and this is a question for your BA. Though I believe I'll be correct. :)

Friday, they say call Monday, Monday they say call Tuesday. So on and so forth.

1stgear

This starts getting a little complicated, only the bottom 1 or 2 drivers on the dispatch are guaranteed four hours. If you are put on call, that should mean that your get 4 hours pay whether you work or not. But the language that says if you have attained seniority and you are put to work you are guaranteed 8 hours, whether you were on call or not, should be overriding. Then you have people who are on the schedule, but not dispatched. I think the bottom 12 guys are on the schedule as "call in", but it's not the same as "on call".

I don’t know the difference, I just call every morning to see if I’m needed. Most of the time I will cover a route, run bulk, missloads or run an air shuttle.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

If he has more than 20 drivers in his center, they can only put two on call. Anyone below those two are not "dispatched", I'm not sure if that satisfies the requirement for telling you that you aren't working, they sure don't treat it that way. They still tell you to call in. I'm going to have a lot of questions for my BA. My center is so uninvolved in union I haven't really had to deal with a lot of this stuff.